Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NCHC to use shootouts in conference games

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
    I'm with camilo. I attended college hockey games before the ECAC was founded and my take is that fans attend games to see who wins, and players compete to see who wins. Not who ties.
    You've been going to games for over 50 years and you still don't understand how college hockey works? That is impressive.
    Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
    when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
    Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
      You've been going to games for over 50 years and you still don't understand how college hockey works? That is impressive.
      Quite the contrary. I know how college hockey has worked for 55 years and accept the fact that change is inevitable, often for the better, occasionally for the worse. This site is married to the status quo . Every time a change in college hockey is suggested a flurry of anguished posts follows: conference realignment, mascot changes, television coverage, penalty definitions, scholarship stipulations - just about anything new. I wonder about the hidebound outlook of these reactionaries when they approach their 5th or 6th decade of following college hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
        Thats your opinion and its fine. I'd guess more people find them enjoyable / exciting to watch.... certainly most people I know think the NHL shootout is fun and based on what I see at the arenas and the fans staying to watch, I think it is safe to say that is the majority opinion.
        So because people who paid $70 for a ticket want to stay until the end of the game rather than leave 5 minutes early, that tells you that most people think the shootout is fun? Do you assume everyone who stays until the end of a movie thought the ending of the movie was great?

Free throws in basketball is not a good comparison to the shooter vs goalie situation in a hockey shootout.
        There aren't any great comparisons because basketball doesn't have any players that are permanently defending the basket. Free throws are a pretty good comparison because, like penalty shots, they are used to penalize the opponent and don't occur in the natural flow of the game.
        Originally posted by SJHovey
        Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
        Originally posted by Brenthoven
        We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
          In all my research the same NHL playoff teams make the playoffs regardless winning or losing a shoot out.
          Must have been really exhaustive research.

Columbus was 24-17-7 last year, with a 5-4 record in shootouts. They missed the playoffs. Without shootouts they finish 19-20-9 which would give them 47 points. San Jose was 25-16-7 last year with a 8-4 record in shootouts. They made the playoffs. Without shootouts they finish 17-19-12 which would give them 46 points. Without shootouts, Columbus makes the playoffs last year and San Jose doesn't.

How much research did you do again?
          Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
          We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

The worst part about shootouts? Looking at the jumbled mess of a teams record and the points system. I'd much rather have 2 points per win than 3.
            tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

The worst part of shoot outs is the pandering attitude that allow them to creep back into idiot leagues in some stupid marketing ploy whose purpose is to appeal to the least common denominator ... i.e unsophisticated rubes.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                Must have been really exhaustive research.

Columbus was 24-17-7 last year, with a 5-4 record in shootouts. They missed the playoffs. Without shootouts they finish 19-20-9 which would give them 47 points. San Jose was 25-16-7 last year with a 8-4 record in shootouts. They made the playoffs. Without shootouts they finish 17-19-12 which would give them 46 points. Without shootouts, Columbus makes the playoffs last year and San Jose doesn't.

How much research did you do again?
                Historically speaking the right teams make the playoffs.
                Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by camilo View Post
                  Like I said in the post you are referring to - my opinion is that they do provide a way to legitimately separate two otherwise tied teams. That plus the fact that they're fun to watch, makes them a reasonable feature of a regular season game. I don't disagree with your statement about the team-oriented game, but again, as I said in that same post, going beyond one overtime is not reasonable for a regular season game. If you don't think people like the shootout (which I disagree with), how do you think they'd like staying there for lengthy OT's for a regular season game. I believe far fewer people would like that than like the shootouts (and I believe most fans - yes, "real", long term fans like me - like shootouts for regular season games)
                  Going beyond one overtime isn't reasonable; you're right. But what the heck is wrong with a tie? Sure, shootouts are fun to watch, but it distorts the game. Without the shootout, it's reasonable for a team to focus on team defense, keeping shot totals low and keeping the puck away from the goalie as a winning strategy. Without the shootout, coaches often tell their forwards to keep it simple, don't get fancy with the puck, etc. With the shootout, defense is a moot point, and shooters are encouraged to take fancy shots to beat the goalie. It changes recruiting strategy, gameday roster decisions, and in-game team personality. All this because some people don't like ties??

Powers &8^]

Comment

I think it's hilarious that people assume they can equate enjoying the shootout to intelligence or understanding of the game. Says a lot about those people.

Comment

I just think shootouts are anti-climactic. After SUDDEN DEATH OVERTIME you go to a gimmick from the All Star Game.

There doesn't have to be a winner.
                      St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Comment

Originally posted by Dude Love View Post
                        I just think shootouts are anti-climactic. After SUDDEN DEATH OVERTIME you go to a gimmick from the All Star Game.

There doesn't have to be a winner.
                        Ummm, didn't the Olympics use the shootout long before the "skill competition" day was added to the All Star game?

You all do realize that every eight year old who sat through the last lockout and watched the birth of the NHL shootout are now emulating that and are being recruited by CHL and NCAA teams this year, right? And the IHL had been using it for decades.

The ship SS Shootout has sailed. It's not coming back to port. Ever.

My gripe is with the points. It needs to be 3 pts for a regulation or OT win. Zero for a regulation or OT loss. 1 pt each for tying after the OT and 1 pt for the shootout win. And score it W-L-T-SOW
                        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                          Historically speaking the right teams make the playoffs.
                          You are obviously just pulling these statements out of your ***, with no proof. I debunked your previous statement with a cursory look at last years standings. Stop digging and put away the shovel.

Comment

One strong argument against shootouts has not been raised: eliminating college hockey shootouts will further separate American college hockey from world-class hockey (NHL, AHL, Olympics, Major Junior) and prevent confusion between college hockey and higher levels of competition.

Comment

Shootouts are for fans who were texting the the whole game and overtime but now would like to watch something before they leave the arena .

Comment

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
                                One strong argument against shootouts has not been raised: eliminating college hockey shootouts will further separate American college hockey from world-class hockey (NHL, AHL, Olympics, Major Junior) and prevent confusion between college hockey and higher levels of competition.
                                Why do you post on this message board when you hate college hockey so much? Wouldn't your time be better used masturbating to photos of London Knight players?
                                Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                                when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                                Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Working...
                                X