Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Eastern Illinois adding D1 hockey?

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
    I didn't even know there was an "eastern" part of Illinois. Seems a bit like "northern Tennessee."
    *****http://board.uscho.com/images/icons/icon14.png******

Comment

https://***********/EIUHockey

Well, they sound pretty sure they are joining the icebox. Now we wait.
      Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
      dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
      wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

I want to see a press release from the school.

Comment

Originally posted by Pink Pony View Post
          I want to see a press release from the school.
          It's all rumors.

Comment

The cloud keeps getting bigger. U of Illinois hockey just put on facebook that there is a big announcement coming tomorrow, specifically calling out Illini hockey fans.

Comment

Chances are they'll win an NC before UHN does.
              if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post

tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

What I see is Illinois is going DI and 7th Big Ten member, Eastern Illinois tweet a joke.

This is like the old NWO on who the next member was going to be...
                  Last edited by thebrain; 07-27-2013, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by thebrain View Post
                    What I see is Illinois is going DI and 7th Big Ten member, Eastern Illinois tweet a joke.

This is like the old NWO on who the next member was going to be...
                    According to the other thread, Illinois is getting new sweaters. Maybe that is what Eastern's big news is, too.
                    bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                    SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                    All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                    A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post

We are still waiting.

Comment

Originally posted by slowe View Post
                        If true it is out of left field, but I can see it. I'm not that familiar with Eastern, but it is a smart play. University of Illinois and Northwestern obviously have a lot going for them. Northern Illinois has a strong football program. Illinois State doesn't stand out really, but is bigger than Eastern I think. Illinois has a lot of hockey players but no D1 school. It would be a good way to carve out a niche for themselves.

As for how it would work? Again, if serious, they would need to build an arena on campus. There isn't even a small ice rink there. The ACHA team uses David S. Palmer Arena in Danville, IL which is about half an hour away. It's an arena built in 1980 that houses 2,300. It's been home to an NAHL team and several small minor league hockey teams, currently the Danville Dashers in the FHL. That might be a temporary plan, but they would have to build an arena on campus to be competitive.

I assume the WCHA would take them in a heartbeat. Another team to minimize travel to Alaska AND it would beat out Bowling Green to be the new closest team to Huntsville by about 150 miles and two hours by bus. It's not right in the middle of the footprint but it's close enough. Probably not "like minded" enough for the NCHC.

I'd love to see it since Illinois needs a D1 program. But at this point it's an unofficial tweet that might be a joke. Illinois isn't that rich, Eastern isn't that big, and I'm not sure how many sugar daddies they have lined up. Worth watching but I'll wait for something more.
                        Yeah, would have to think that their likely home would be the WCHA. Yeah, that would give em another body to allow for some team to not make one trip up to Alaska that year, but they're not exactly an easy bus ride way for anybody. Bowling Green would be the closest to them. But I would think even the Alaska schools wouldn't mind seeing a school near the Chicagoland area joining the league. Another flight or a decent bus trip for them to make it there. Then there's the whole issue of being an eleven team league. Not that its a deal breaker, but with a league that's going to have to watch the travel budget, it could be a big issue when somebody gets the short end of the stick when they have trips to Alaska, and somehow the schedule maker doesn't send them to their closest rival.
                        bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Working...
                        X