UML Recruiting Thread, 2014 and beyond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UML Recruiting Thread, 2014 and beyond

The biggest reason for starting a new thread ... a commitment that I think most of us thought would come in 2014, will actually be heading to school this year.

Michael Kapla has been tagged to join the roster in a few months.

So the 2013 incoming class (I believe) is now:
    D Michael Kapla, Sioux City (USHL)
    D Corey Scammon, Brooks Bandits (AJHL)
    D Dylan Zink, Jamestown (NAHL)
    F Evan Campbell, Langley (BCHL)
    F Joe Gambardella, Des Moines (USHL)
    F Chris Maniccia, Smiths Falls (CCHL)
    F Dylan Shapiro, Rochester (EJHL)

The remaining recruits that have committed to Lowell already ... the majority might be seen playing in the USHL this upcoming season.

Currently, I'd guesstimate there are five '14 recruits. Forwards Evan Anderson (Langley, BCHL), Ryan Collins (Ottawa, CCHL), CJ Smith (Jamestown, NAHL) and Tyler Sifferlen (Malden Catholic HS) along with defenseman Tyler Mueller (Cowichan Valley, BCHL). Collins, Smith and Sifferlen were all drafted by USHL teams in the Phase 2 draft. Smith was picked in the second round, #17 overall by Muskegon, while Collins (15th round, 211 overall) was chosen by Indiana and Sifferlen (16th round, 230 overall) was chosen by Cedar Rapids.

Two 2015 incoming recruits were drafted in the first round of the USHL Phase 2 draft - Tommy Panico (#3 overall, Muskegon) and Nick Master (#5 overall, Cedar Rapids). Panico had played for the Philadelphia Jr Flyers (AYHL, Tier 1 Elite), while Master had been with Team Comcast (AYHL, Tier 1 Elite).

The only current '16 recruit is Colin O'Neill, who played for Washington (AYHL, Tier 1 Elite) and was drafted in the USHL's 14th round, 204 overall, by Muskegon.
    Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
    2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
    2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
    2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
    2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Re: UML Recruiting Thread, 2014 and beyond

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
    Michael Kapla has been tagged to join the roster in a few months.
    Interesting news about Michael Kapla coming in early. Any word on who left school?

"They ended up needing a couple guys," Kapla says, "one guy signed an NHL contract and another guy just left school, and they had a spot they needed to fill at D, and Coach Bazin [UML head coach Norm Bazin] asked if I'd be willing to do that."

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
      Interesting news about Michael Kapla coming in early. Any word on who left school?
      I haven't heard anyone in particular, but I had speculated last year that I'd be surprised if Furlong came back.
      Monty

2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
      2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

From what I was told, the only player from last year's team that won't be back (aside from the seniors and Ruhwedel) is Derek McCoy.
        Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
        "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

I am about 95% Certain that Nick Master will make the Cedar Rapids team this year.

Sifferlen was not noticeable in camp at all this year and did make the Top Prospects game.

Comment

Originally posted by herbst20 View Post
            I am about 95% Certain that Nick Master will make the Cedar Rapids team this year.

Sifferlen was not noticeable in camp at all this year and did make the Top Prospects game.
            Thanks for this info!
            Monty

Comment

I'll speculate Scammon is not coming in this year

Comment

Originally posted by ScottK View Post
                From what I was told, the only player from last year's team that won't be back (aside from the seniors and Ruhwedel) is Derek McCoy.
                I have heard that Dimitry will not be back, that may open the spot for this seasons roster.

Comment

Originally posted by Pesky McGrath View Post
                  I have heard that Dimitry will not be back, that may open the spot for this seasons roster.
                  Well, that's disappointing to hear.
                  Monty

Comment

I hope some of the guys coming in for 2014 have some talent as this team is going to be decimated at the end of this year. Besides losing Pendenza, Holmstrom, and Arnold, I'd say it's a safe bet that Wilson will be gone (if he puts up another 35+ points), and with all the talk of Folin leaving after this year, the team has to plan on him going pro after the 2013-2014 season.

Comment

Originally posted by bottomdweller View Post
                      I hope some of the guys coming in for 2014 have some talent as this team is going to be decimated at the end of this year. Besides losing Pendenza, Holmstrom, and Arnold, I'd say it's a safe bet that Wilson will be gone (if he puts up another 35+ points), and with all the talk of Folin leaving after this year, the team has to plan on him going pro after the 2013-2014 season.
                      I'd been noting that for recruiting in goal as well, as we have no idea what Hellebuyck's odds are to stick around, if he has another great year.

The out classes (14 and on), at least according to one person who keeps an eye on this (not me), are very good for Lowell.
                      Monty

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
                        Well, that's disappointing to hear.
                        Same... would have loved to see him develop into something special
                        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                        Skating Friar Jersey
                        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                        Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Not necessarily Lowell related, but this could become a bad trend for Canadian youngsters.
                          Monty

Comment

Two future recruits were picked in the first round, Tommy Panico (3rd overall) and Nick Master (5th overall). CJ Smith (2nd round, 17th overall) and Colin O'Neill (14th round 203rd overall) could join Panico at Muskegon next year
                            CJ Smith had a goal and Colin O'Neill and Tommy Panico each had an assist in Muskegon's Black and Gold game last weekend. The final roster will be announced later this summer.

http://blog.insidemuskegonlumberjack...%20Gold%20Game

Getting to Know: Defenseman Tommy Panico

“When I visited the campus, I was blown away by the top-notch facilities, and the coaching staff made me feel welcomed and right at home,” said Panico. “It is an up-and-coming program that had a great season last year making it to the Frozen Four, and I am excited to join the program down the road and am proud to be a future River Hawk.”
                            Last edited by boblav1; 06-20-2013, 10:52 PM.

Comment

College Hockey News ‏@chnews 58m
                              UMass Lowell commit Evan Campbell drafted by Edmonton in the fifth round.
                              Monty

Comment

Working...
                              X