Hockey support in Georgia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    The real issue here is that Minnesota is no longer the main or only place to farm top level hockey talent.
    Minnesota never was the only place to get top level hockey talent. And farm is an odd word choice of words in this context.

If UW wants to reduce it's recruiting footprint in Minnesota, that's fine by me. What does worry me is the long-term health of the small programs in college hockey post conference shake-up.

Comment

Re: Hockey support in Georgia

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
      Has nothing to do with being provincial. I know plenty of people who are far less provincial than I am that can agree that it's wrong that Wisconsin is all but abandoning it's smaller former college mates.

And as for the other discussion, you don't have to be provincial to recognize that Minnesota's early recruiting practices and struggles have given it the recruiting advantages it enjoys today. That's just plan old factual.

You try so hard to be anti-provincial man that sometimes you get in your own way. This is not a Minnesota versus the world discussion. It would be flat out better for college hockey if Wisconsin would continue to play the smaller schools in the former WCHA every so often.

I can't express how tired and predictable your criticism has gotten. You and I will never see eye-to-eye on what pride in program and state means, so I'm not sure why you keep beating that dead horse. I'm not going to change my views, and you likely aren't going to either.

Although in this discussion, all that really is irrelevant.
      Why is it wrong? Sconnie will probably never play SCSU again in a none NCAA tourney game unless they drop the 2:1 demand and it's really not that big of a deal. If the fans from both sides really demanded it continue then the schools would make it happen like UND/UW are doing. I know Motzko would have liked to have played sconnie in the future, but he doesn't need to stoop to 2:1 when the Badgers are not a big draw in st. cloud and there really are not any recruits he wants from Wisconsin where being seen playing them would help. He agreed to the arrangement with the Gophers because it benefits our program. I heard he said he wouldn't do that with anybody program unless there was a benefit to do so.
      I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
        Why is it wrong? Sconnie will probably never play SCSU again in a none NCAA tourney game unless they drop the 2:1 demand and it's really not that big of a deal. If the fans from both sides really demanded it continue then the schools would make it happen like UND/UW are doing. I know Motzko would have liked to have played sconnie in the future, but he doesn't need to stoop to 2:1 when the Badgers are not a big draw in st. cloud and there really are not any recruits he wants from Wisconsin where being seen playing them would help. He agreed to the arrangement with the Gophers because it benefits our program. I heard he said he wouldn't do that with anybody program unless there was a benefit to do so.
        Not as much worried about Cloud as I am about Bemidji and Mankato. Are you suggesting playing UW at home wouldn't benefit those programs? Serious question. I realize UW probably isn't as big of a draw as Minnesota or North Dakota, but I imagine they would draw better than many other schools.

You do bring up a great point on recruiting that I certainly agree with. This will certainly hurt Wisconsin's recruiting more than Mankato or Bemidji's. from a purely fiscal standpoint though, I am worried about these schools not getting as many visits from the larger schools.
        Last edited by JDUBBS1280; 05-20-2013, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pink Pony View Post
          10' players from Georgia so far.
          A few more added. Here's list of all mentioned so far:
          Chris Lochner (Niagara) - Alpharetta, GA
          Neil Ruffini (UAH) - Roswell, GA
          Dave Caruso (Ohio St) - Roswell, GA
          Doug Jones (Dartmouth) - Marietta, GA
          Brad Miller (NoDak) - Alpharetta, GA
          Jon Horrell (BGSU) - Acworth, GA
          Zach Kamrass (UML) - Atlanta
          Kamal (UAA) - Atlanta
          Pierce (UAH) - Atlanta
          Lysaght (UAH) - Atlanta
          Chris Maye (RPI 96) - Atlanta
          Vic. Saponari (BU) - Powder Springs
          Vin. Saponari (BU/NE) - Powder Springs.

...and now back to the normal hijacking of threads having nothing to do with them by minny/wisco fans...

Comment

I think we are under 24 hours away from a complete meltdown and the threat he will never post again......only to return 30 days later with the same BS.

Comment

Originally posted by fangers View Post
              Kamal (UAA) - Atlanta
              Pierce (UAH) - Atlanta
              Lysaght (UAH) - Atlanta

...and now back to the normal hijacking of threads having nothing to do with them by minny/wisco fans...
              Georgia has produced 3 NHL players all-time.

Hockey-Reference-GA

Not surprisingly, all have been recent.
              Last edited by JDUBBS1280; 05-20-2013, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Kamal (UAA) - Atlanta
                Pierce (UAH) - Atlanta
                Lysaght (UAH) - Atlanta

Did these kids come up through local youth hockey programs or select travel teams in GA?

Comment

Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
                  I think we are under 24 hours away from a complete meltdown and the threat he will never post again......only to return 30 days later with the same BS.
                  Just a discussion. No need for it to get personal or out of control.

Comment

Kamal (UAA) - Atlanta
                    Pierce (UAH) - Atlanta
                    Lysaght (UAH) - Atlanta

Add Mark Mowers

Comment

Youth hockey registrations in Georgia:

1990-91: 370
                      2009-10: 2,142
                      Growth: 478.9%

Per USA Hockey

Comment

What does worry me is the long-term health of the small programs in college hockey post conference shake-up.

If they can't make it without a visit from UW every few years, then they suffer from a bad business model.

Sorry Dubbie, the small programs in Minnesota are not the concern of the University of Wisconsin.

If the University of Minnesota feels that they need "help" these schools out, then power to them and go out and be the Make a Wish foundation for all I care.

If UW River Falls or Eau Claire were D1, I'd want us to play them and we most certainly would - see our basketball schedule.

UW has no moral obligation to play or gawd forbid, travel to Bemidji.

While I wouldn't mind playing SCSU, I don't blame them for not taking our offer nor do I blame us for sticking to it.

Comment

Only 7 indoor hockey rinks in all of Georgia. If the game is to grow in that state, hopefully that number rises.

Rinktime-GA

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                            If they can't make it without a visit from UW every few years, then they suffer from a bad business model.

Sorry Dubbie, the small programs in Minnesota are not the concern of the University of Wisconsin.

If the University of Minnesota feels that they need "help" these schools out, then power to them and go out and be the Make a Wish foundation for all I care.

If UW River Falls or Eau Claire were D1, I'd want us to play them and we most certainly would - see our basketball schedule.

UW has no moral obligation to play or gawd forbid, travel to Bemidji.

While I wouldn't mind playing SCSU, I don't blame them for not taking our offer nor do I blame us for sticking to it.
                            The overall health of college hockey should be the concern of all college hockey programs. And an indifference to the welfare of any program would be bad business on UW's part.

As a fan of a school who folded their own program for 30 years, you'd think you'd be a little more compassionate.

If UW-River Falls or UW-Green Bay were in the WCHA and we were leaving them behind, I would have liked to see the Gophers give each a 1-for-1 arrangement every so often. Maybe home year 1, away year two, two years off, repeat type of deal. Certainly not the same as what they are giving MN schools, but better than just a 2-for-1.

Your problem is you can't get past the MN vs WI mindset.
                            Last edited by JDUBBS1280; 05-20-2013, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
                              Did these kids come up through local youth hockey programs or select travel teams in GA?
                              USHL and NAHL

Comment

The overall health of college hockey should be the concern of all college hockey programs. And an indifference to the welfare of any program would be bad business on UW's part.

As a fan of a school who folded their own program for 30 years, you'd think you'd be a little more compassionate.

No. I doubt we folded our program due to solvency issues, although I've never cared enough to look into what happened well over 70 years ago. Was a different world back then.

This is business. BIG business. There's no room for compassion. Have a solid business model or fail and get out. For every Bemidji that folds, an Iowa or Illinois will surface in the future.

I know some are skeptical of this, but just a few years ago, a BTHC was thought of as pie in the sky. It will happen.

Personally, I hope no one folds, but I don't believe that it's up to UW to save them if they cannot make it on their own. And if anyone thinks that I'm cold hearted, I'd like to introduce you to Uncle Barry...
                                Last edited by Gurtholfin; 05-21-2013, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X