Irish off-season: the future is unwritten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish off-season: the future is unwritten

So here it is. The off-season thread. Next season will bring new rivalries, new venues and new hopes. Who will be captains? Who will be the great incoming players? Who will surprise and inspire? There's a good mix in the schedule with just one game against BC left to finalize (likely at the end of the regular season). I gotta admit, I'm nervous about next season. There will be growing pains for sure, but how will Notre Dame fare come the end of the season?

10/10-11 home and away with WMU
    10/18-19 MTU
    10/25-26 @ UMD
    11/1-2 @ UVM
    11/8-9 Minnesota
    11/15-16 MC
    11/22-23 @ UML
    11/29-30 Shillelagh Tourney with perennial co-host WMU along with NU and UAH
    12/6-7 UMass
    1/4 Frozen Fenway (ugh) @ BC
    1/10-11 UAH
    1/17-18 LSSU
    1/24-25 NU
    1/31-2/1 @ UNH
    2/7-8 Maine
    2/14-15 @ PC
    2/21-22 BU
    "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Re: Irish off-season: the future is unwritten

Excited to see the coaching that goes into the Tech / Notre Dame series.
    Both teams get each other early, should be fun to see them play again. I have nothing but respect for Jeff Jackson.

Comment

Would bet that the mtu series would be a Thursday/Friday affair. As usc comes to town to play football on Saturday night.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadEnder65 View Post
        Would bet that the mtu series would be a Thursday/Friday affair. As usc comes to town to play football on Saturday night.
        Yes. That date will be tweaked when the official schedule comes out. Thursday-Friday games and the Tech players will be invited to stay for the FB game Saturday.

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Some post-graduation, post-season updates for some notables:

Riley Sheahan's GR Griffins have survived to move to the next playoff round. They are playing the Oklahoma City Barons for the right to then play for the Calder Cup. He is tied for 20th in post-season scoring in the AHL with 9 points in 11 games. He's also +4 in the post-season.

Christian Hanson's Providence Bruins had a meltdown of near-epic proportions. They were up 3 games to 0 over Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, but then lost the next 4 to end their post-season run. Their series with the Pens was ugly as it included a brawl in game 5 and a 5-0 loss in game 7. Hanson had 4 points in 12 playoff games.

Mark Van Guilder signed a 2-way contract with the Preds. His Milwaukee Admirals were knocked out of the playoffs pretty early this season though.

And Erik Condra has been doing quite nicely for himself in Ottawa.

Also of note:

Eric Ringel got a job (which is big news if you have followed him on Twitter the past year) and Billy Maday is a dad.

Comment

Here is ND's official schedule. Season ticket re-order forms (complete with the option to buy tix to the Frozen Fenway game for a whopping $50-75!) are out with a renewal date of July 19th. Players are back on campus. Hockey is just around the corner.

10/6 exh game Guelph
            10/11-12 home and away with WMU
            10/18-20 MTU (note this is F-Su due to FB)
            10/25-26 @ UMD
            11/1-2 @ UVM
            11/8-9 Minnesota
            11/15-16 MC
            11/22-23 @ UML
            11/29-30 Shillelagh Tourney with perennial co-host WMU along with NU and UAH (ND plays the 2nd game both nights--first against UAH, then the winner of WMU/NU)
            12/6-7 UMass
            1/4 Frozen Fenway (ugh) @ BC
            1/10-11 UAH
            1/17-18 LSSU
            1/24-25 NU
            1/31-2/1 @ UNH
            2/7-8 Maine
            2/14-15 @ PC
            2/21-22 BU
            2/28 @ BC

Also, congrats to Riley Sheahan and Jordan Pearce on their Calder Cup! Nice way to survive the surge!
            Last edited by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres.; 06-21-2013, 01:43 PM.

Comment

So I've been thinking about death a lot lately. A lot. The death of family members, friends, pets, this thread...even my demise (I'm not deep, just depressing). I have recently tweaked my bucket list and I thought about adding "watch Notre Dame win a national championship in hockey" to that list, but then it occurred to me that a bucket list is a list of things you can have some say in, some control over. And I have zero control over the Notre Dame hockey team. Hell, I can't even get my own teammates to get on the boards for an outlet pass. So all I can write is "be in attendance should Notre Dame be in a position to win a national championship in hockey." Which I have done both times, so actually I can check that off my list.

So instead, I'll focus on who might have a break-out season, who might be captain(s), who might be the freshman to watch.

I want to see Mike Voran have a career year. He is a great penalty-killer, and like Jeff Costello, means so much to the team chemistry on the ice (and the winning %), that he is due, like Costello last year, to make a huge impact on the score sheet. Not to mention it will be his last chance to be a difference-maker.

I really want to see Bryan Rust, Shayne Taker and Eric Johnson wear letters this season. I could even add Voran to that list. I don't want Stephen Johns, T.J. Tynan or Costello to wear an A or a C, not because I don't like them, but they are a bit hot-headed and I will go to my grave adhering to the idea that a captain needs to be a cool customer. I don't like cheerleaders. I don't like chirpers. I like guys that play on an even keel.

As for a pick for top freshman, I think I might go with Dawson Cook. He may need to add a few pounds, but I like his size as a freshman. Andrew Oglevie is an interesting choice also, for the opposite reason. Think: Tynan, Thomas DiPauli or other squirts like Nathan Gerbe or Brian Gionta. Small guys tend to skate under the radar and surprise people. Lower center of gravity. Little man syndrome.

So there you have it. Feel free to add your $0.02. Hockey East, here we come.

Comment

As much as I hate to disagree with JJFP. Would love to see a hotheaded type be selected to be captain this fall. Jeff Costello was captain of his Cedar Rapids team and would not mind one bit if he was captain this season.

Maybe a little fire would just be the ticket for this squad.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadEnder65 View Post
                  As much as I hate to disagree with JJFP.
                  Usually people love to disagree with me. What's wrong with you?

Kevin LaBanc is no longer coming to Notre Dame. His grades are only good enough for the OHL.

Comment

http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog....l-jeff-jackson
                    https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                    Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

ND alum Patrick Burke is the new NHL Director of Player Safety:
                      http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=680736
                      Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                      Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

UND.com has a comprehensive writeup of this offseason's comings and goings.

http://www.und.com/sports/m-hockey/s...082413aaa.html
                        Notre Dame Hockey
                        Reigning Big Ten Champions
                        Reigning CCHA Champions
                        Hockey East Lineal Champions

Comment

Jeff Costello, captain. Interesting choice. From the looks of it a surprise to some. Mature people adjust to the conditions they are working under. My hope for Costello first and foremost is to stay healthy. One thing we know for sure, the team plays a lot better when he's in the lineup.
                          Last edited by IrishHockeyFan; 08-29-2013, 03:56 PM.

Comment

I like the choices for the captains, especially Costello getting the C. Saw him play a time of two in the ushl, have always liked his game.

One thing that will be interesting is the newness of dealing with a different set of conference refs, style of play arenas, etc

Everyone from ND will be starting from square one, coaches, captains, players, families, fans.

Will see.

Comment

http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog....ack-providence

Jeff Costello to throw out first pitch at Fenway Park Friday night.
                              https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                              Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Working...
                              X