Originally posted by BobF View Post
    aside from the FU what FUBAR might be
    effed up beyond all recognition

Comment

Re: Maine Hockey Thread II: The Search for Spock

No actual news. Just some more filler.

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/04/1...ey-head-coach/

edit:

One interesting thing about the article . . . After printing an article on Gwoz being interested in Maine (based on however flimsy evidence), and now printing this article with Montgomery suggesting Gwoz and Osiecki . . . it's going to be hard for teh committee not to reach out to at least one high-profile outsider . . . right?

I was also amused to read Montgomery tout Standbrook as the guy who was best able to promote Maine hockey. Considering Maine was able to get a commitment from exactly one Dubuque Fighting Saint in Montgomery's three years there, yeah, Montgomery himself may not be Maine's best promoter.
      Last edited by amherstblackbear; 04-19-2013, 08:09 PM.
      1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
        He has 3 years at best, maybe less before the fanatics start to grumble
        Yeah, thats what I'm saying 2 to 3 years before the grumbling starts and another 2 years to oust . 5 years, maybe as little as 4 to go from hired to fired. Hopefully it would never come to that. Hopefully the next guy is successful, because y'all would tranform from internet nutcases to internet loonies.
        sure why not

Comment

Re: Grant

“Nobody understands the challenges — the pros and cons — of Maine hockey like Grant. He knows how to sell the program,” said Montgomery, who will conclude his third and final season as the head coach/general manager of the Dubuque Fighting Saints of the United States (Junior A-amateur) Hockey League at the end of the playoffs.

Standbrook is a consultant with the Fighting Saints and Montgomery said don’t be surprised if Standbrook is involved with his team at Denver.
          Last edited by gscott13; 04-19-2013, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Congrats to Joey Diamond on parlaying his ATO to a 1yr contract with the Isles.
            http://islanders.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=666700

Still annoyed about that last game for Maine, but credit where it's due.
            1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by all bear View Post
              .............Thats what we gave the dunce that preceeded him.
              Tim has been dismissed to the delight of many fans. We still have some fans who can't move forward and still rely on name calling and are still kicking a man who did much for the University of Maine hockey program beyond wins and losses.

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
                Congrats to Joey Diamond on parlaying his ATO to a 1yr contract with the Isles.
                http://islanders.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=666700

Still annoyed about that last game for Maine, but credit where it's due.
                he was out of the line-up in portland tonight with a lower body injury

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
                  ..........Still annoyed about that last game for Maine, but credit where it's due.
                  I am more than annoyed. We will never know for sure, but Joey alone could possibly have prevented Maine from going to the Hockey East semi-final.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                    Tim has been dismissed to the delight of many fans. We still have some fans who can't move forward and still rely on name calling and are still kicking a man who did much for the University of Maine hockey program beyond wins and losses.
                    He still proved himself to be a hockey coaching dunce. Just tellin it like it is. Let go at two different schools, what more proof do you need. If you dont like that, too bad.
                    sure why not

Comment

After the last two weeks of highs/lows to Maine Hockey,imo I would think that for Maine Hockey going forward that they need to Clean House and go with a whole New Coaching Staff...and by that I don't mean not hiring someone with Maine Hockey ties...but a needed change would be a New Staff. No matter what the New Coach won't have to contend with the Shawn Walsh shadow but instead he will have Jim Montgomery out West to be compared to...figuring the first say 2 years will be rebuilding/retooling the Program for Maine,while out West Montgomery will be in a New League(NCHC)and has a few early players signings(3)...I would think that Montgomery will have a better start compared to his counterpart @ Maine(by that/Record wise and NCAA Apperances)...time will tell if there will be patience after the first two years @ Maine...especially if Montgomery gets DU to a Frozen 4 in one of his first 3 years.

Comment

I am more than annoyed. We will never know for sure, but Joey alone could possibly have prevented Maine from going to the Hockey East semi-final.
                        Great point, the season would have been a million times better with a HEA semi final appearance.
                        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

I appreciate what Montgomery did for Maine hockey, but I am getting weary of the Bangor Daily News (Mahoney), continually seeking him out for quotes and getting his "spin" on the hiring process. Probably just me. He (Montgomery), is now telling the University that they should have Standbrook on the search committee, I have no problem with Montgomery taking the DU job, more resources and money compared to Maine. He probably could have had the Maine job if he had waited.
                          Last edited by Runsub5; 04-20-2013, 08:59 AM. Reason: didn't need the quote.

Comment

I appreciate what Montgomery did for Maine hockey, but I am getting weary of the Bangor Daily News (Mahoney), continually seeking him out for quotes and getting his "spin" on the hiring process. Probably just me. He (Montgomery), is now telling the University that they should have Standbrook on the search committee, I have no problem with Montgomery taking the DU job, more resources and money compared to Maine. He probably could have had the Maine job if he had waited.
                            Standbrook on the search committee makes perfect sense. I'm guessing Jimmy is talking as an Alum, no different than any other Alum talking about the coaching vacancy.
                            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                              Standbrook on the search committee makes perfect sense. I'm guessing Jimmy is talking as an Alum, no different than any other Alum talking about the coaching vacancy.
                              I am very surprised that Standbrooks input was not looked for by UMaine...he would have added alot of insight imo. Oh well again...

Comment

I'm kind of with runsub here, though I'm not sure who's really to blame. It could be as simple as Larry getting along well with Jimmy, and being able to get him to comment by phone or email. Maybe talking to Jimmy is an easy article.

To the point of *this* article -- it does seem strange that Standbrook wasn't the very first person Maine contacted regarding the search.

Still, I do think it's getting to be time for Jimmy to stop making public comments regarding Maine hockey -- and for Larry to stop asking. The miscommunication surrounding Maine's search isn't all on Abbott. Jimmy's comments about never being contacted may have been literally true, in the context of the specific question he was asked, but they were misleading nevertheless. If he were really interested in the job, he could have been more proactive when he DID speak to Abbott. He could have told DU that he needed a couple days to sleep on the offer, and quietly gotten Maine on the phone.

Don't get me wrong, I don't begrudge Jimmy making what he thought was a good career move re: Denver. I'll root for him there. But don't need to hear about how he bleeds Maine blue. He can't have it both ways.

Comment

Working...
                                X