Gwoz Resigns from DU?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gwoz Resigns from DU?

I'm sorry. Everytime I saw that guy on TV, I thought it was a televangelist turned hockey coach. Has that whole Swaggart thing going on.
    YALE HOCKEY
    2013 National Champions

Comment

He'd make a good TV broadcaster for the college gm .. well spoken.. & kinda knows what he's talking about.
      nothing against the Barry Melroseplace Mullet show.
      GO NU HOCKEY
      Always bullish on the future.
      We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Man, I guess I should've known that this would get into sexist malarkey, but it still makes me sick.

Good luck to Gwoz. I bet every hot-seat coach is sweating today.

GFM
        Geof F. Morris
        UAH BSE MAE 2002
        UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
          Unlikely to get any of them you mean.

If UConn does that it'd prove they are being serious but right now based on what I know, they aren't. Gowz to UConn seems really unlikely. If I were him I'd go to the ushl, wait a couple and take another profile spot. Somebody will get fired, give it time
          The job posting -- (3/30/13) http://ahcahockey.com/pdf/jobs/20130330_uc.pdf
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by dubbie31 View Post
            I think part of it is that they charge too much for college hockey. They need to lower ticket prices.
            I don't pay for tickets, never have and likely never will have to. However, it is ridiculous that crap seats are like $19-26 and good ones are like $35. Then parking is $10-15, beer $7 or $8...and so on. I get a $13 meal card for games, which gets me a dog or nachos plus a soda and maybe a bottled water. Stupid expensive...

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
              Well, Connecticut is the hot bed of hockey..
              after all.. 2 teams from this tiny state going to the FF.. there's your proof.. room for more!..
              GO NU HOCKEY
              We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                Haha! Awesome! Couldn't happen to a bigger d-bag!
                Agreed. And probably the "real" reason.

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
                  He'd make a good TV broadcaster for the college gm .. well spoken.. & kinda knows what he's talking about.
                  nothing against the Barry Melroseplace Mullet show.
                  Barry Melrose - "Steve Stamkos will never be an NHL hockey player."
                  Last edited by OneTimer; 04-01-2013, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimer View Post
                    Barry Melrose - "Steve Stamkos will never an NHL hockey player."
                    BUUZZZZZZZ. is it "date"?
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                      Man, I guess I should've known that this would get into sexist malarkey, but it still makes me sick.

Good luck to Gwoz. I bet every hot-seat coach is sweating today.

GFM
                      You sure? Maybe every AD is sweating that they will get rid of a coach before they should and anger their alum and fanbase.
                      tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimer View Post
                        Barry Melrose - "Steve Stamkos will never an NHL hockey player."
                        "it's an unbelievable story.. he became a hockey player by default.. goes to (Minn) Duluth.. not a major hockey school.."
                        Melrose on Brett Hull..

On a more somber note: DU, are you guys nuts!?!
                        GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                          If they "couldn't agree on a contract", that pretty much means Gwozdecky felt he was worth more than what DU was willing to pay, and/or wanted another long-term contract that would take him all the way to retirement in another decade. AD is probably looking at his recent string of first-round exits and countering with a 3-4 year extension at the same or slightly higher salary + benefits.

If he coaches again, no way does he take anything but a plum job. Rumor had it for some time that his salary + benefits & incentives were worth over $500,000/yr. He's made too much money, and been too successful for too long, to sell himself short at the age of 59.
                          From what I know, the B/I/U part has been around for a few years. Something about the ratio of money the sport brought in/coach's salary. Gwoz wanted more. Obviously, I cannot say who I learned this from, but it was something Gwoz was NOT happy with. I think this decision was somewhat mutual, in that Gwoz said PAY ME or I want out, and DU said, "lack of success/we're not paying you what you want."
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by northeastern View Post
                            "it's an unbelievable story.. he became a hockey player by default.. goes to (Minn) Duluth.. not a major hockey school.."
                            Melrose on Brett Hull..

On a more somber note: DU, are you guys nuts!?!
                            Hockey-wise, and on the surface, it is incredibly stupid. However, I stated on our DU thread about 2 years ago how Gwoz had a tendency to "ruffle some feathers" and that I was amazed he stuck around this long. I have the upmost respect for the man as a coach and as a person (he was basically at my father's deathbed as he passed) but eventually his "ruffling" would haunt him.

Comment

Rico back to Denver.... Miami is maxed out dollar wise, and I can see them needing to make cuts to their athletic budget longterm- the new conference will put more pressure on a small program with limited income sources. Time to leave

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                                From what I know, the B/I/U part has been around for a few years. Something about the ratio of money the sport brought in/coach's salary. Gwoz wanted more. Obviously, I cannot say who I learned this from, but it was something Gwoz was NOT happy with. I think this decision was somewhat mutual, in that Gwoz said PAY ME or I want out, and DU said, "lack of success/we're not paying you what you want."
                                Well, if DU isn't committed to doing what it takes to win.....that doesn't sound very like-minded of them. I mean, Tech and Mankato went out and actually paid for quality coaches, but DU won't pay their coach what he deserves? I bet UND and Miami are looking to start their own breakaway conference at this point.
                                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                                X