Coaching changes 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Coaching changes 2013

I heard UNE is bringing top candidates to campus this week (no idea who) and will make decision by Friday (8/16).

Comment

EXHG....in law school we called classmates with comments like yours "masters of the obvious"

thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by ExHockeyguy View Post
        Subjective?
        Sorry, bad quoting on my part. I meant that in a general case, as there are many of cases of players (or more likely, players' parents) complaining about coaches with multiple Coach of the Year recognitions.

Originally posted by ExHockeyguy View Post
        ... the example of great players not being great coaches was very evident.
        There are examples in all directions: great player/less-than-great coach; great player/great coach; less-than-great player/great coach; less-than-great player/less-than-great coach. However, it continues to be my belief that people will not always assign the same labels, particularly in the case of the caliber of the coach.
        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

UNE's new coach, David Venditti:
          http://athletics.une.edu/news/2013/8...ti_hiring.aspx

Colby College is on the clock....

Comment

Can someone explain USM to Colby to UNE? Is something happening at Colby that would cause a coach to leave for UNE after 9 years?

Comment

Interesting with Venditti moving to UNE. I believe that the Colby assistant coach will be taking over the reins for this year. I think Venditti's a much better fit for UNE than he ever was for Colby.

Comment

Originally posted by maf View Post
                Interesting with Venditti moving to UNE. I believe that the Colby assistant coach will be taking over the reins for this year. I think Venditti's a much better fit for UNE than he ever was for Colby.
                Think that Mallory Young will do a fine job at Colby if that is the way they decide to go.

Comment

• Originally posted by maf View Post
                  Could you expand on this comment? Why is UNE a better fit for DV?

Comment

• Originally posted by hockey 98 View Post
                    Yes, they hired internally.
                    So, who did they hire? The assistant?

Comment

Originally posted by DelayedOffside View Post
                      Could you expand on this comment? Why is UNE a better fit for DV?
                      I think that he did a really good job at USM before going to Colby, which was a move that would seem like an upgrade going to the NESCAC, but I think that he was unable to really capitalize on the talent that he got at Colby and in the past several years hadn't been able to get much going. Colby didn't do bad at the beginning but I think that he didn't get the most out of what he had. He seemed to not deviate from a game plan even when it clearly wasn't working or the players didn't fit it. My impression is that USM and UNE are more similar schools and that personality and background wise it'll be a better fit. I think that at UNE he will also have some more say in who he recruits given the academic situation. Just my take. I was surprised by the move.

Comment

Originally posted by DelayedOffside View Post
                        So, who did they hire? The assistant?
                        Yes they did

Comment

Originally posted by maf View Post
                          I think that he did a really good job at USM before going to Colby, which was a move that would seem like an upgrade going to the NESCAC, but I think that he was unable to really capitalize on the talent that he got at Colby and in the past several years hadn't been able to get much going. Colby didn't do bad at the beginning but I think that he didn't get the most out of what he had. He seemed to not deviate from a game plan even when it clearly wasn't working or the players didn't fit it. My impression is that USM and UNE are more similar schools and that personality and background wise it'll be a better fit. I think that at UNE he will also have some more say in who he recruits given the academic situation. Just my take. I was surprised by the move.
                          First lesson to learn: The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Comment

I would agree that after the first few years the team struggled. Tough to recruit kids that are academically admissible and also talented hockey players to go to Waterville, ME (even though Colby is a great school) when they likely have other choices - although this year's incoming class is relatively strong. As maf suggests, he will likely be able to attract kids more easily to USM AND have more kids to select from.

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
                              I would agree that after the first few years the team struggled. Tough to recruit kids that are academically admissible and also talented hockey players to go to Waterville, ME (even though Colby is a great school) when they likely have other choices - although this year's incoming class is relatively strong. As maf suggests, he will likely be able to attract kids more easily to USM AND have more kids to select from.
                              I agree it's tough to recruit to Waterville due to high academic standards but a lot of schools are in the same boat. Bowdoin almost same situation and have done well, Amherst, Trinity similar. Although academics not as tough, what is the attraction in Northfield, Vt. or Elmira, NY? Did DV have the support of administration to 'get it done' at Colby? If he had the support and still didn't get it done, why would UNE take a shot with him? A lot questions surrounding this one!

Comment

• Originally posted by hockey 98 View Post
                                Yes they did
                                Is that a good move? Sounds like Colby might do the same thing and not sure it's a smart move. Big difference in being a head coach (disciplinarian, organizer, responsibility) as opposed to an assistant who is often the buddy, buddy with the players and a shoulder to cry on. That being said, i do not know either candidate that well and maybe they are ready!

Comment

Working...
                                X