Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 241

Thread: Coaching changes 2013

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    383

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    664

    Re: Coaching changes 2013

    Paulson left?

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Madison
    Posts
    620

    Re: Coaching changes 2013

    Nichols College is looking for their 4th coach in a season in a half per the AHCA website

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,498

    Re: Coaching changes 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by WIrinkrat View Post
    Nichols College is looking for their 4th coach in a season in a half per the AHCA website
    This is surprising - I thought Campbell was well-liked (unless she left for somewhere else on her own).

    Probably ought to add the U Conn head coach position to the thread.

  5. #5
    Alfond to Ridder & rinks in between Hux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Burlington, MA
    Posts
    11,316
    Quote Originally Posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
    This is surprising - I thought Campbell was well-liked (unless she left for somewhere else on her own).

    Probably ought to add the U Conn head coach position to the thread.
    I think the turnover rate has more to do with $$ than results.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,498

    Re: Coaching changes 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Hux View Post
    I think the turnover rate has more to do with $$ than results.
    Makes sense.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Madison
    Posts
    620

    Re: Coaching changes 2013

    Buffalo State and Amherst are looking for coaches.

    https://ahcahockey.com/jobs/

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    413

    Re: Coaching changes 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by WIrinkrat View Post
    Buffalo State and Amherst are looking for coaches.

    https://ahcahockey.com/jobs/
    What a shame for Amherst. Once the best DIII Womens hockey program less than 5 years ago, now can't seem to hold a coach. Very odd for one of the finest private colleges in the country. May they land a reliable and successful coach who will make Amherst his/her home for many years to come!!

  9. #9
    old n slo
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    NJ or in the car between rinks
    Posts
    613

    Re: Coaching changes 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Plugger View Post
    What a shame for Amherst. Once the best DIII Womens hockey program less than 5 years ago, now can't seem to hold a coach. Very odd for one of the finest private colleges in the country. May they land a reliable and successful coach who will make Amherst his/her home for many years to come!!
    I wouldn't read too much into that posting. Matthews was hired as "Interim Head Coach." I would guess, without knowing, that he'd have an inside edge on the search process.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Old Lyme, CT
    Posts
    2,160

    Re: Coaching changes 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Plugger View Post
    What a shame for Amherst. Once the best DIII Womens hockey program less than 5 years ago, now can't seem to hold a coach. Very odd for one of the finest private colleges in the country. May they land a reliable and successful coach who will make Amherst his/her home for many years to come!!
    There are still lots of weird things going on at Amherst.

  11. #11
    Proud supporter of Osmirwich hockey
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Northfield, VT
    Posts
    16,649
    Quote Originally Posted by Plugger View Post
    What a shame for Amherst. Once the best DIII Womens hockey program less than 5 years ago, now can't seem to hold a coach. Very odd for one of the finest private colleges in the country. May they land a reliable and successful coach who will make Amherst his/her home for many years to come!!
    They let a really good candidate IMHO get away to Hamilton.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    383

    Re: Coaching changes 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by obserbear View Post
    There are still lots of weird things going on at Amherst.
    That is tantalizing and unnecessarily vague. If it is private then keep it private and don't dangle comments lacking in detail - please. I mean this in a friendly, polite way.
    Last edited by OneTimer; 03-25-2013 at 09:40 PM.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Old Lyme, CT
    Posts
    2,160

    Re: Coaching changes 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by OneTimer View Post
    That is tantalizing and unnecessarily vague. If it is private then keep it private and don't dangle comments lacking in detail - please. I mean this in a friendly, polite way.
    Apologies.
    I go to a lot of games and you hear a lot of stuff. How much of what you hear around the rink do you take as gospel?
    I am not a member of the Amherst community and have never spoken with Coach Matthews. I do find the use of the "interim" tag inappropriate, unless a coach has taken a leave and the replacement is in fact a place holder. When a top college like Amherst, where many coaches measure their tenure in decades, has a coach depart, as Coach Plumer did, in good time and on a friendly basis, it amazes me that the best the college can do is conduct a search and then appoint an "interim" coach, as they did with Coach Johnson. Coach Matthews obviously did them a big favor coming on board at such a late date prior to last season. How effective recruiting can be done by an "interim" head coach? What kind of support is the Amherst AD providing this program? What I characterize as weird is this seeming willingness to let a top flight program wither.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,498

    Re: Coaching changes 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by obserbear View Post
    Apologies.
    I go to a lot of games and you hear a lot of stuff. How much of what you hear around the rink do you take as gospel?
    I am not a member of the Amherst community and have never spoken with Coach Matthews. I do find the use of the "interim" tag inappropriate, unless a coach has taken a leave and the replacement is in fact a place holder. When a top college like Amherst, where many coaches measure their tenure in decades, has a coach depart, as Coach Plumer did, in good time and on a friendly basis, it amazes me that the best the college can do is conduct a search and then appoint an "interim" coach, as they did with Coach Johnson. Coach Matthews obviously did them a big favor coming on board at such a late date prior to last season. How effective recruiting can be done by an "interim" head coach? What kind of support is the Amherst AD providing this program? What I characterize as weird is this seeming willingness to let a top flight program wither.
    I do have a (very) little insight into the recruiting situation at Amherst this past year and can say that IMO Coach Matthews did an admirable job in attracting players on a short timeline. He did lose 1 (maybe 2) top end recruit to another NESCAC as a result of the late coach change and the several weeks when they were without a coach. But his recruiting class is pretty solid and should not hurt Amherst in the future, which is what you would expect normally in that kind of situation. Many kids come to Amherst because it is Amherst, knowing full well that the chance that the coach who recruits you is the coach when you graduate is a very slim chance at best.

    I will say that based on his recruiting and the performance of the team it will be surprising to me if he does not stay at Amherst unless he chooses to leave for other opportunities.

  15. #15

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    578

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,498

    Re: Coaching changes 2013

    Union job must be Julie Chu's since she will likely be off with the National Team. This looks like Coach Barcomb will be around next season as well (saw her at the NE prep school championships recruiting also).

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    383

    Re: Coaching changes 2013

    Last edited by OneTimer; 04-04-2013 at 12:23 AM.

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    383

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    673

    Re: Coaching changes 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by OneTimer View Post
    Which makes me think that McPhee will be at Amherst?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •