Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI & Union @ Cornell & Colgate (2/22, 2/23)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RPI & Union @ Cornell & Colgate (2/22, 2/23)

Originally posted by Stay@homeDad View Post
    Some of us are not afraid to drive the highways...
    But some of you are afraid of taking a much more direct route. Hamilton is south of US 20.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      But some of you are afraid of taking a much more direct route. Hamilton is south of US 20.
      Not only more direct but faster too. Rte 20 is one of my favorite roads to drive whenever I head back to central NY. It's just a far more interesting drive. The Thruway doesn't have a "Petrified Creatures" museum on it. Nor is there the "Fountain View Motel" which always gets me wondering what came first... the fountain or the motel?

Just be careful when you are approaching the Cherry Valley exit... the cops love to hang at the bottom of that hill. They bagged me once there and I've spotted them again on a few occasions.

Comment

Originally posted by jmhusker View Post
        Not only more direct but faster too. Rte 20 is one of my favorite roads to drive whenever I head back to central NY. It's just a far more interesting drive. The Thruway doesn't have a "Petrified Creatures" museum on it. Nor is there the "Fountain View Motel" which always gets me wondering what came first... the fountain or the motel?

Just be careful when you are approaching the Cherry Valley exit... the cops love to hang at the bottom of that hill. They bagged me once there and I've spotted them again on a few occasions.
        I'm not driving this time so I am not sure what route we will be traveling. However, I'm guessing it will be 90.

Comment

Originally posted by Stay@homeDad View Post
          I'm not driving this time so I am not sure what route we will be traveling. However, I'm guessing it will be 90.
          As FD and JM stated, Rte. 20 is faster and far more scenic. As long as the weather looks good, I recommend it.
          ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

On the subject of driving, what's the recommended route from CD to Ithaca?

Comment

Surprised to find out that museum is still there. The route 20 drive west of Schenectady was always great. Leisurely trip through some great little towns. Loved going through Esperance. Drove it all the way out and headed a bit south to Letchworth State Park. Just lovely country.
              Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                Never made that trip-always left from the Adirondacks and drove down and west. But i would guess-90 to 88 to 206 would get you close.
                Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

The couple of times I've gone, it's been 88 down to Bainbridge then 206/79 west to Ithaca. You could also stay on 88 down to Binghamton and go back up 81 from there but it's kind of out of the way in order to stay on the highway.

Thruway to Syracuse, 81 to Cortland, and 13 down toward Ithaca would work if you want more highway and less state roads, but probably a longer drive overall and you'd have to pay tolls.
                  APBWiki

Comment

Some people take I-88 to NY 206 to NY 79 (which will go right into Ithaca). The busses will take 90 to 481 to 81 to 281 (be sure to take exit 12, NOT 13) which turns into 13, and then stay on 13 until you see 366 and take a left on 366 to go straight into the university.

Comment

Originally posted by GRussinko View Post
                      The couple of times I've gone, it's been 88 down to Bainbridge then 206/79 west to Ithaca. You could also stay on 88 down to Binghamton and go back up 81 from there but it's kind of out of the way in order to stay on the highway.

Thruway to Syracuse, 81 to Cortland, and 13 down toward Ithaca would work if you want more highway and less state roads, but probably a longer drive overall and you'd have to pay tolls.
                      If you were going to go to Binghamton, I'd consider 17 west to either Owego (96) or Waverly (34) and take one of those into Ithaca.

Comment

The one thing that people don't understand with the thruway is that it actually dips south when you get to Amsterdam (along with the Mohawk) before heading north to Little Falls, which is actually at the same latitude as Saratoga. This is why I will go to Johnstown and then take 67 across (with a shortcut at the next left after the landfill, it's a small farm road but you can cruise down that thing and it cuts a few minutes off your trip).

Comment

For those who do go back and forth from time to time on I90, also a warning about the speed trap in Schodack (I think it's by exit 10). A family member once got a speeding ticket there, and the next time driving through the area, we said "better be careful around here in case they have the speed trap set up" and just at that moment a Schodack police dept car appeared in front of us, drove along a little ways, and then pulled over onto the median, ready to ticket the next unwary traveler.
                          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Another bad area is just short of Sangerfield, which is about 10 miles from the Route 12b exit that takes you to Hamilton. There is a big hill there and they nailed me at the bottom of that hill. Just a word of advice... Slow down when you're going downhill.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                              For those who do go back and forth from time to time on I90, also a warning about the speed trap in Schodack (I think it's by exit 10). A family member once got a speeding ticket there, and the next time driving through the area, we said "better be careful around here in case they have the speed trap set up" and just at that moment a Schodack police dept car appeared in front of us, drove along a little ways, and then pulled over onto the median, ready to ticket the next unwary traveler.
                              Or you could just drive the speed limit.

Comment

In late February in the central N.Y. snow belt I would stick to major routes. I wouldn't drive over State Roue 206 from Bainbridge to Marathon on a bet, and route 20 is no free lunch - unlimited access, hills and curves. Scenic in summer, scary in winter.

Comment

Working...
                                X