Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI & Union @ Cornell & Colgate (2/22, 2/23)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RPI & Union @ Cornell & Colgate (2/22, 2/23)

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
    We played very well defensively-albeit with a couple lapses. There was one little innocuous play that I saw that made me laugh. Mid game there was a smallish Yale forward who was fighting along the left boards for the puck and Luke came into the fray and with one forearm and some shoulder action just flipped him off the puck and down like he was swatting a fly. It was not a crucial play, it did not involve any sort of penalty worthy action, it was just a little diversion in the play. But I am sure some noticed it(especially the forward who got the brush off).

And for those who follow the Kotyra factor-he really was tolerable yesterday and for once I have to admit he did not greatly affect the outcome. Although he does always seem to be involved in some way in the games we play when we are put down 2 men for any extended amount of time. This time it appeared from TV viewing that we deserved to have both penalties.
    I must admit that I don't see Kotyra as awful as you present him. At least the games that I have seen him in person, he is no worse than most of the refs in the ECAC. However, when he waived off the first goal, I was worried that he would find a way to take it away from us, Then I would have been convinced that you were right. Don't get me wrong, he is not a good referee, but he is no Noeth.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin
    The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
    Gary Player

Comment

Seemingly overnight the Capital District tandem has become a force to be reckoned with, particularly if Union can be seen to have turned the corner which RPI obviously has done as it is on its way down the block. If Grosenick plays as well and as consistently as he did this weekend, Union could be on its way as well. Still, I get this feeling that inevitably these two teams will be facing each other again come March. What fun that would be.

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
        I must admit that I don't see Kotyra as awful as you present him. At least the games that I have seen him in person, he is no worse than most of the refs in the ECAC. However, when he waived off the first goal, I was worried that he would find a way to take it away from us, Then I would have been convinced that you were right. Don't get me wrong, he is not a good referee, but he is no Noeth.
        EHF: I can go back and list games for you-but I suppose you have to be convinced for yourself. Please look back at the scoresheet from Saturday March 14th 2009. I can give you multiple other dates to look at if you wish-but that was the worst. This past january in Princeton was no charmer either. He did seem rather out of sorts last night-either that or we just gave him no opportunity to hurt us-however he did find at least that one opportunity to put us two men down-which he seems to do more than anyone else. But I agree-he is not in the Noeth class yet
        Last edited by DrDemento; 02-17-2013, 11:24 AM.
        Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

EHF: I can go back and list games for you-but I suppose you have to be convinced for yourself. Please look back at the scoresheet from Saturday March 14th 2009. I can give you multiple other dates to look at if you wish-but that was the worst. This past january in Princeton was no charmer either. He did seem rather out of sorts last night-either that or we just gave him no opportunity to hurt us-however he did find at least that one opportunity to put us two men down-which he seems to do more than anyone else. But I agree-he is not in the Noeth class yet
          Oh, but the man from Rochester has done Olympic games, and national championships, and blah blah blah blah blah, tryouts are in August!

Comment

We have talked a lot about the great things that the team has done in the last two months, but I would like to mention something that has not been talked about yet.
            Who is resposible for the new power play? It is a pleasure to watch the movement, the down low play and the fact that we are no longer so predictable.
            Kudos to the coach that put this thing together.
            Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
            Benjamin Franklin
            The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
            Gary Player

Comment

We have talked a lot about the great things that the team has done in the last two months, but I would like to mention something that has not been talked about yet.
              Who is resposible for the new power play? It is a pleasure to watch the movement, the down low play and the fact that we are no longer so predictable.
              Supposedly it is Nolan Graham. At least, SA mentioned him as working with the powerplay.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                The second period was one of the sloppiest I've watched all year. The point is that we need to be consistent and play 65 minutes each night.
                65? Since we only go to OT every 6th game or so are you worried that we aren't bearing down more during warmups?

Comment

No question-we are now a team that you do not want to get shorthanded against. But if you do manage to take a penalty against us-I recommend strongly taking another one immediately to get 2 men down.

Comment

Normally when Ralph starts a thread like this-there are a bunch of Cornell and Colgate fans who contribute. Where are they this year?

Comment

Normally when Ralph starts a thread like this-there are a bunch of Cornell and Colgate fans who contribute. Where are they this year?
                      Here is the one from earlier this year http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...19)&highlight=. Not much from CU*2.

Not much last year either, but a higher percentage:
                      http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...25)&highlight=
                      http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...-4)&highlight=

As I have stated, the only reason that I start these threads is to get some conversation going with our opponents. The only one that I got such response this year was the MSU thread. The SCSU thread would have also if I had known that it is a SCSU convention to include a in the title. The thread that someone else started to correct this oversight worked well. There was some response in the BU-UNH thread, but not that much.
                      Last edited by Ralph Baer; 02-17-2013, 03:10 PM.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                        Here is the one from earlier this year http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...19)&highlight=. Not much from CU*2.

Not much last year either, but a higher percentage:
                        http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...25)&highlight=
                        http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...-4)&highlight=

As I have stated, the only reason that I start these threads is to get some conversation going with our opponents. The only one that I got such response this year was the MSU thread. The SCSU thread would have also if I had known that it is a SCSU convention to include a in the title. The thread that someone else started to correct this oversight worked well. There was some response in the BU-UNH thread, but not that much.
                        I appreciate the threads-I look forward to hearing from the other team fans. But this year as you mentioned, we are getting little response here and even some times on the scores thread. Some of the teams have really great fans and we learn a lot of information from them.

Comment

Originally posted by jmhusker View Post
                          65? Since we only go to OT every 6th game or so are you worried that we aren't bearing down more during warmups?
                          You should know by now that, win lose or tie, I want to see the team put together a full effort. That means a maximum of 65 minutes, so why not say 65 minutes?

Comment

I'm here. Cornell fans are probably all on eLynah.

From a Colgate fan's perspective, this team has been fading into oblivion. For the 2nd year in a row, we seemed to "peak" around Christmas then slowly regress. Of course, anything can happen in the playoffs, and Colgate proved that 2 years ago, finishing 12th then making it to Atlantic City, defeating both Capital District teams on the way there.

Another thing working against 'Gate's favor is the fact that Union seems to have broken its "Starr curse", and RPI recently broke a losing streak at Starr Rink. This used to be a "guaranteed" 3 or 4 point weekend for the Raiders, but its given us 0 pts in each of the past two seasons.
                            Colgate '09

Comment

hi guys...very impressed with the play as of late ...so much so that I'm going to take my girlfriend and her son out to Colgate to witness it! I thought I'd ask if anyone had any ideas for places to stay out in Hamilton...any suggestions? Go RED!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ajt6954 View Post
                                hi guys...very impressed with the play as of late ...so much so that I'm going to take my girlfriend and her son out to Colgate to witness it! I thought I'd ask if anyone had any ideas for places to stay out in Hamilton...any suggestions? Go RED!!!!
                                The Colgate Inn may have some openings, and I remember we stayed in some cottages when the band went for a playoff series (I can't remember the name though; GRussinko do you remember?). If you don't mind the 45 minute commute from Syracuse that I usually do, there are plenty of places out there (although that is to the west, and unless you're also going to Cornell, you may not want to go that direction); Utica probably also has some good openings. I don't see any other suggestions from cmmarkham, though. http://www.rpihockey.net/travel/colgate.shtml

Comment

Working...
                                X