No announcement yet.

The Beanpot 2013 It's Anyone's Game!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Beanpot 2013 It's Anyone's Game!

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
    If BU and BC ever meet in the consolation final, would it still be a big game?
    Don't cross the streams!

Being Captain Obvious here but there's no way this could possibly be considered a big game. BU's season effectively ends with the Beanpot anyway so it can't be a big game.
    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
      Don't cross the streams!

Being Captain Obvious here but there's no way this could possibly be considered a big game. BU's season effectively ends with the Beanpot anyway so it can't be a big game.
      Even if its early the 2nd Monday in feb is national championship day
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
        Ah, it wouldn't be a true Beanpot thread if the math nerds didn't show up!
        I'm here! Someone called?

Originally posted by Patman View Post
        50/50 is also a naive approach... nevertheless, even if the individual chances aren't very high they've had 40 years to make it happen and they haven't.
        There are 59 Div I hockey schools, and there've been 65 championships, so each school should have one by now.
        Bugs Bunny - 96
        Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

Biggest story line: Possibility of BC seniors winning 4th/BU seniors leaving without a single pot...has that ever happened?

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
            Biggest story line: Possibility of BC seniors winning 4th/BU seniors leaving without a single pot...has that ever happened?

Comment

Looks like that was only 3, but I'm assuming back then freshmen didn't play?

Comment

Looks like that was only 3, but I'm assuming back then freshmen didn't play?
                Well that was the answer to BU seniors leaving without any marijuana. Harvard won then BC 3peated. The only streaks longer than 3 are a BU 4peat which started in 1970 and a BU 6peat ending in 2000.

Comment

Did you know that Northeastern was the Beanpot team of the 80's winning 4 of the championships in that decade?

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                    Did you know that Northeastern was the Beanpot team of the 80's winning 4 of the championships in that decade?
                    Unfortunately, they are 0-for-all other decades.

And Harvard - it's been 20 years since their last Beanpot.
                    BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Anyone want to throw out their most memorable?

I'd have to with 1989, even though BU lost to Harvard in the title game.

In the first round, BU came back from a 2-goal deficit with about 6 minutes to go against Northeastern. First, Mike Kelfer scored. Then after Phil von Stefineli was called for a penalty (weak call IMHO) with about 3 minutes to go, Mike Sullivan scored BU's first SHG of the season following up on a nice rush by freshman Shawn McEachern. Then Chris Lappin scored his second goal of the season in OT, a shot that handcuffed goalie Rich Burchill, and it popped up over him and trickled into the net.

I convinced a buddy from Bentley to come to the championship game, and I was talking up how awesome an experience it is. The place rocking, etc. Then Harvard jumps out to a 3-0 lead against BU, and all of a sudden Im having regrets about inviting him. Then Peter Ciavaglia (sp?) comes in on a breakaway, and I'm sure it's going to be 4-0 (note: for those who don't know, this Harvard team went on to win the NCAA title, they were loaded at forward). Somehow, Peter Fish makes the save, and BU starts chipping away at the lead. When BU ties it up, we are going bananas (even though it's still the second period). Before we even sit back down, Dave Tomlinson picks off a terrible pass and scores to give BU the lead. Now we are really going crazy. Then, less than a minute later, Harvard scores, and they ultimately won the game 9-6. But that was one heck of a wild ride.
                      BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post

I'd have to with 1989, even though BU lost to Harvard in the title game...
                        what friends' banquet was it (2009?) when jack got up and said peter fish was supposed to be there to present an award, but was at harvard's 20th anniversary banquet getting his beanpot mvp award?
                        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                          If I understand you correctly, in each of 40 years there was a 1 out of 4 (25%) chance they would meet in the finals, and thus a 3 out of 4 chance they wouldn't. (3/4)^40 is approximately 1.0 * 10^-5. So the chance that they would have met at least once is 1 - 1.0 * 10-5 or 99.999%. Of course this is assuming that Harvard and NU had a 50% chance of winning every one of their games which wasn't the case.
                          Ralph, thank God you can provide the math that we desperately seek!
                          RPI Hockey - Taking on the World!

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
                            For anyone who was there, the most memorable Beanpot experience has to be the 1978 first round when the blizzard of '78 was raging outside and people were stranded in the Garden for days. Nothing can possibly come close to that.

But since I wasn't there, my personal most memorable was the 1965 first round, when BU beat Northeastern 5-4 in triple OT (on a play that was clearly offside!) in the first game and BC beat Harvard 3-2 (I think) in single OT in the second game. Remember that in those days, game times were 6 p.m. and 9 p.m., so the late game didn't actually start until after 10. By the time it was over, the T was closing down for the night. The few people who managed to catch a trolley missed whatever connections they needed to make.
                            "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

If I have this right, NU hasn't beaten BU in any beanpot game since 1988...the longest streak of any matchup in the tourney.

Comment

If I have this right, NU hasn't beaten BU in any beanpot game since 1988...the longest streak of any matchup in the tourney.
                                ..gotta do this annually.. read my sig..
                                GO NU HOCKEY
                                Always bullish on the future.
                                We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Working...
                                X