Ohio State @ Wisconsin 1/11 - 1/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio State @ Wisconsin 1/11 - 1/12

Huge series this weekend in Madison. Some are already predicting a Wisconsin sweep. I don't see it that way but we will see what happens on the ice this weekend. As long as we go up there and get three points, I will be fine with that. That should keep us in second place. Then we have St. Cloud State coming to our place next weekend. I like the way the schedule shapes up for us in the second half of the season. Should be interesting. As long as our coaching staff and kids continue to work hard, there's no reason our program cannot achieve the goals they have set for themselves. What are everyone else's thoughts?

Re: Ohio State @ Wisconsin 1/11 - 1/12

A split would be a good result. No doubt a very real possibility. A great team effort and strong goaltending can get it done. Remember 2/18/12 against a very strong UW team. Two very different teams in a now / then sense but Buckeyes have proven they can and have dealt nicely with those circumstances IMO.
    Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
      A split would be a good result. No doubt a very real possibility. A great team effort and strong goaltending can get it done. Remember 2/18/12 against a very strong UW team. Two very different teams in a now / then sense but Buckeyes have proven they can and have dealt nicely with those circumstances IMO.
      That is basically what I have been thinking about this series. It's difficult to compare seasons sometimes, but I actually think we are a better team this season despite the graduation of some notable star players, and I also agree that Wisconsin was a better team last season. We went up there and got thumped in the opener, but then came back to win Saturday's game to get a split. I believe we can at least get a split this weekend to stay in second place.

Comment

Not to disagree with anything that's been said so far, but I would emphasize that this year's UW/OSU games are a battle of equals. Granted, I'm basing this primarily on two games played in Columbus last Fall. Others that have seen different games can and do feel differently. But what I saw was:

1. A smart Badger team that found a way to grab the Friday win with shorthanded goals; and
        2. A determined, talented Buckeye team that held home ice fairly comfortably in the Saturday rematch.

Neither game looked a like a mismatch, with one team trying to pull an upset against long odds.

Going on the road is always a challenge, and the fact we're playing the Badgers adds to the challenge, as always. But this year's Buckeyes do not face the additional burden of trying to pull a major upset. These games will be decided by execution and desire, not by a talent disparity. And that's as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
          Not to disagree with anything that's been said so far, but I would emphasize that this year's UW/OSU games are a battle of equals. Granted, I'm basing this primarily on two games played in Columbus last Fall. Others that have seen different games can and do feel differently. But what I saw was:

1. A smart Badger team that found a way to grab the Friday win with shorthanded goals; and
          2. A determined, talented Buckeye team that held home ice fairly comfortably in the Saturday rematch.

Neither game looked a like a mismatch, with one team trying to pull an upset against long odds.

Going on the road is always a challenge, and the fact we're playing the Badgers adds to the challenge, as always. But this year's Buckeyes do not face the additional burden of trying to pull a major upset. These games will be decided by execution and desire, not by a talent disparity. And that's as it should be.
          I think you touched on something there in regard to rival posters picking Wisconsin to sweep ... they don't see us as equals with Wisconsin, despite the fact that we split with them at home and really should have swept (gave up three shorthanded goals in Friday loss). I read this yesterday, then read it again today and it just dawned on me that regardless of how improved we are or whether we are setting in second place or not, some still don't see us as equals with Wisconsin.

I love your last paragraph regarding there not being a talent disparity. If Coach Handrahan continues to bring great players in as he has done so far in two short years, that talent disparity will disappear altogether, regardless of who we're playing. I am really looking forward to seeing what our coaching staff does when they get another recruiting class or two in here. I am excited about what they are doing with the group we have now! Wish I could get up to Madison this weekend, but Mrs 86 and I are heading up to Canada to see some former Buckeyes play in the CWHL! We will see Tessa Bonhomme, Amber Bowman, Laura McIntosh, Natalie Spooner, and Erika Vanderveer! So proud of all of them!

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
            I think you touched on something there in regard to rival posters picking Wisconsin to sweep ... they don't see us as equals with Wisconsin, despite the fact that we split with them at home and really should have swept (gave up three shorthanded goals in Friday loss). I read this yesterday, then read it again today and it just dawned on me that regardless of how improved we are or whether we are setting in second place or not, some still don't see us as equals with Wisconsin.
            Correct. Although in fairness to the skeptical, most of them have seen the current Buckeyes play twice, if they've seen them play at all. I've made it to every home game this year, and I know you rarely miss. Preseason or even after the first weekend, I wouldn't have been bold enough to predict 2nd Place at this point. We simply have more information on the Buckeyes than those who haven't been won over. Conversely, Wisconsin's long term track record is impeccable. We have a long way to go to match them in that regard! But if our second half performance matches our first half performance or at least comes close, the kudos for the 2012-13 team will come.

I love your last paragraph regarding there not being a talent disparity...
            Well, thank you.

One small, partial disclaimer: I'm not saying we're equal or better at every position in the line-up; only that squad vs. squad there appears to be a rough parity.

...Wish I could get up to Madison this weekend, but Mrs 86 and I are heading up to Canada to see some former Buckeyes play in the CWHL! We will see Tessa Bonhomme, Amber Bowman, Laura McIntosh, Natalie Spooner, and Erika Vanderveer!
            Awesome! Hard to argue with the choice.

So proud of all of them!
            Strongly agree.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post

I love your last paragraph regarding there not being a talent disparity. If Coach Handrahan continues to bring great players in as he has done so far in two short years, that talent disparity will disappear altogether, regardless of who we're playing. I am really looking forward to seeing what our coaching staff does when they get another recruiting class or two in here. I am excited about what they are doing with the group we have now! Wish I could get up to Madison this weekend, but Mrs 86 and I are heading up to Canada to see some former Buckeyes play in the CWHL! We will see Tessa Bonhomme, Amber Bowman, Laura McIntosh, Natalie Spooner, and Erika Vanderveer! So proud of all of them!
              UW does have 2 studettes who are injured who would clearly push the talent arrow back in UW's favor, but as it sets now, it's hard to deny that the teams aren't on pretty level terms. Statistically, OSU scores .3 gpm more than UW, but UW allows .7 goals less per game. OSU's pp is 6% better and UW's pk is 1% better. It's reasonable to think UW's better D and home ice will result in a sweep, it's also reasonable to think OSU is good enough to earn a split, which they are.

I look forward to seeing OSU on Friday night. Usually we chant "gopher rejects" when other teams from rodentsota are playing UW, I wonder if a chant of "Michigan Rejects" would hit home?
              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                ...I wonder if a chant of "Michigan Rejects" would hit home?
                It might if Michigan actually had a women's hockey team. And even then they would need to have a winning tradition.
                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

There's no denying that Ohio State is an improved team, but I think the Badgers would have to be disappointed with a split. It seems like UW has been getting steadily better as the season has gone on, and they looked pretty sharp against ND to close out the first half. They also haven't lost at LaBahn since opening night. I'm going to say the Badgers get a win Friday, and we see a shootout Saturday.

Speaking of Saturday, I wonder how tiny the crowd will be. I can't see many casual fans skipping a Packers playoff game for women's hockey. Its a shame they don't push back the game to 5pm, but somehow, I bet they figure 4 hours isn't enough time between hockey and the 1pm basketball game next door.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                    Usually we chant "gopher rejects" when other teams from rodentsota are playing UW, I wonder if a chant of "Michigan Rejects" would hit home?
                    Originally posted by D2D View Post
                    It might if Michigan actually had a women's hockey team. And even then they would need to have a winning tradition.
                    D2D is correct, with one nuance: Michigan does have Women's Hockey at the Club level. Nevertheless, the odds of a Club Team Cut receiving a D-1 scholarship offer elsewhere are virtually nil.

Conversely, we do have Michigan natives on our D-1 roster, and we're certainly better for it. That being the case, one could arguably drive up to Ann Arbor and chant "Buckeye Rejects" at a Women's Club Hockey game. But hey, I'm a better person than that. A desire for self-preservation also factors in.

Comment

I think most Badger fans (including myself) realize that this will be a tough series. The fact is that Ohio State is ahead of them in the standings (with two games in hand) and they split in Columbus earlier this season. I think the Badgers will sweep, but nothing would shock me.

The women's team always seems to get hosed on scheduling. I wasn't surprised at all when I saw that the Packer game will be on Saturday night. It will be hard-core hockey fans, fans who don't follow football and fans who may follow the NFL, but don't care about the Niners and Packers. I will be pleasantly surprised if they crack 1,000.

Comment

Originally posted by Badger Booster View Post
                        I think most Badger fans (including myself) realize that this will be a tough series. The fact is that Ohio State is ahead of them in the standings (with two games in hand) and they split in Columbus earlier this season. I think the Badgers will sweep, but nothing would shock me.

The women's team always seems to get hosed on scheduling. I wasn't surprised at all when I saw that the Packer game will be on Saturday night. It will be hard-core hockey fans, fans who don't follow football and fans who may follow the NFL, but don't care about the Niners and Packers. I will be pleasantly surprised if they crack 1,000.
                        Well the Vikings tried to resolve this issue.

Okay...no they didn't.
                        Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                          That's the irony of the chant.....

Comment

Originally posted by Badger Booster View Post
                            That's a tough one. If it was just the regular season I'd DVR it, but it is the playoffs, so instead of going Saturday like I originally planned, I'm bringing the kids Friday night instead. I am very curious what attendance will be Saturday, hopefully you or I will remember to post it.

I'm glad I didn't go see the Whitecap game, there's no way I'd take pleasure in watching Vetter give up any goals at all. I see attendance was 948 for the game, that's quite impressive.

Comment

For some strange reason my hopes that the Buckeyes can manufacture a W or two this weekend have intensified substantially! Go Buckeyes!
                              Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Working...
                              X