Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RPI Recruit Thread 2012-13 (Part II)

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
    With our recent history of special teams play-give me kids who do not put us short handed and who can also score on the power play when we get a chance. I don't know if Melanson has been doing that this year but throughout his high school career he rarely put Delbarton shorthanded and he had a part in a bunch of power play goals for them. If he can translate that to Troy, I would be a very happy guy.
    I would be a happy guy also. Let me first say that I don't like it that recruits usually delay arriving to college for a year or even more. Melanson's performance to date in the USHL and the comments we got from a fan in Omaha recently however make me think that he will get as much ice time in Troy next season as Commers is getting this season. Remember that we expect to have 13 returning forwards plus Bourbonnais and perhaps Woods who will have a leg up on him. I don't expect to see him get much ice time until 2014-15. Then again, he could make me eat my words the rest of this season in Omaha. I would love to see him putting up half the numbers that he was putting up last year.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
      I completely agree Ralph. I have no idea what to make of this kid, but it could be as simple as Seth liking the toughness and attitude the kid brings. I don't mean the fighting, but the edge, and check finishing attitude that keeps players honest. Some kids you know are going to take your head off if you try certain moves on the ice..this kid is one of them. Having a kid like this in practice everyday will benefit our guys.... With the skill we're going to have on board when he arrives, it will be good to have a kid who keeps the other team honest, IMO.
      That could certainly be true. He also may have come cheaply in terms of scholarship money.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

While sitting outside of a WiFi hotspot in Troy (after driving 3000 miles, what's a couple hundred more?), here are my thoughts on the Lincoln game:

Riley Bourbonnais did not see any time in the first. I'm not sure what the issue was, but did see time after that. He's on one of the PP units.

DeVito is going to be something special. I think he's more of a role player out there similar to someone like Paul Kerins or Marty O'Grady.

As for the Wood double minor, that came after he leveled someone (and cleanly, I'll add). I didn't see him too much out there (mostly because of the misconduct), but he'll certainly provide some good energy for the team.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
          While sitting outside of a WiFi hotspot in Troy (after driving 3000 miles, what's a couple hundred more?), here are my thoughts on the Lincoln game:

Riley Bourbonnais did not see any time in the first. I'm not sure what the issue was, but did see time after that. He's on one of the PP units.

DeVito is going to be something special. I think he's more of a role player out there similar to someone like Paul Kerins or Marty O'Grady.

As for the Wood double minor, that came after he leveled someone (and cleanly, I'll add). I didn't see him too much out there (mostly because of the misconduct), but he'll certainly provide some good energy for the team.
          Good travel effort FD.
          ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
            I would be a happy guy also. Let me first say that I don't like it that recruits usually delay arriving to college for a year or even more. Melanson's performance to date in the USHL and the comments we got from a fan in Omaha recently however make me think that he will get as much ice time in Troy next season as Commers is getting this season. Remember that we expect to have 13 returning forwards plus Bourbonnais and perhaps Woods who will have a leg up on him. I don't expect to see him get much ice time until 2014-15. Then again, he could make me eat my words the rest of this season in Omaha. I would love to see him putting up half the numbers that he was putting up last year.
            Ralph: Of course I have no reason to say this, but-my opinion of coach SA is that he makes his decisions based totally on what he sees. I think he of course knows the previous year's performance of every recruit but that he puts them on the ice in practice and he watches-keenly. If Melanson comes to Troy next year and his stats from this year are not top of the league-it will mean very little if he steps onto the ice at HFH in practice and just freaking flies by everyone. The team that Melanson is on is a different mix than we have at RPI. I just looked and I believe that Drew is still in the middle of the pack in goals and has shown some aptitude on the power play. Having seen him for years I can attest to one fact-he has one thing that you just cannot teach and that is speed. Much of the development of players we see are things that can be taught-shooting, passing, positioning, stickhandling, etc. But some things are either there or they are just not there. You cannot teach size (Luke Curadi being the perfect example) and you cannot teach speed and quickness. I don't think at this stage we have any clue how Melanson will fit into the plans at RPI. This is the gamble that SA takes with 90% of the recruits he gets. With the pressure to get these kids young-how in the world can you know what will happen in the 3-4 years before they get to the NCAA?
            Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Thanks for the info. I never would have guessed that DeVito could be compared to Kerins or O'Grady. Very odd about Bourbonnais.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Ralph: Of course I have no reason to say this, but-my opinion of coach SA is that he makes his decisions based totally on what he sees. I think he of course knows the previous year's performance of every recruit but that he puts them on the ice in practice and he watches-keenly. If Melanson comes to Troy next year and his stats from this year are not top of the league-it will mean very little if he steps onto the ice at HFH in practice and just freaking flies by everyone. The team that Melanson is on is a different mix than we have at RPI. I just looked and I believe that Drew is still in the middle of the pack in goals and has shown some aptitude on the power play. Having seen him for years I can attest to one fact-he has one thing that you just cannot teach and that is speed. Much of the development of players we see are things that can be taught-shooting, passing, positioning, stickhandling, etc. But some things are either there or they are just not there. You cannot teach size (Luke Curadi being the perfect example) and you cannot teach speed and quickness. I don't think at this stage we have any clue how Melanson will fit into the plans at RPI. This is the gamble that SA takes with 90% of the recruits he gets. With the pressure to get these kids young-how in the world can you know what will happen in the 3-4 years before they get to the NCAA?
                I certainly agree that SA will base things on what he sees, and we certainly have players that have performed better in Troy than in the USHL (Kasdorf and Miller to name two), and I already hedged my statement, but based upon what I have read, he needs more seasoning before contributing, either in the USHL or in practice at RPI. As to speed alone, I have one word -- Askew.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Thanks for the info. I never would have guessed that DeVito could be compared to Kerins or O'Grady. Very odd about Bourbonnais.
                  while listening to that game I had to check several times with the boxscore to see Bourbonnais' name because I never heard it in the 1st period. Now I know why.
                  Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

the PxP guy said the Sioux City player came flying in to deliver the check but Jake sidestepped it thus avoiding the hit & then a 3rd player jumped Jake from behind..... he was flabbergasted that Jake got any PIM's especially the 10.
                    Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                      the PxP guy said the Sioux City player came flying in to deliver the check but Jake sidestepped it thus avoiding the hit & then a 3rd player jumped Jake from behind..... he was flabbergasted that Jake got any PIM's especially the 10.
                      Definitely training to ref in the ECAC.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I certainly agree that SA will base things on what he sees, and we certainly have players that have performed better in Troy than in the USHL (Kasdorf and Miller to name two), and I already hedged my statement, but based upon what I have read, he needs more seasoning before contributing, either in the USHL or in practice at RPI. As to speed alone, I have one word -- Askew.
                        You got that right. Kelly could skate with anyone-but then what? i don't think we could count the breakaway opportunities we saw him get and then lose control of the puck and not get a shot off. But he was fun to watch even after he left RPI and was playing roller hockey. I don't expect that same lack of control out of Melanson but it is so hard to predict how these kids will turn out for us.

Comment

You got that right. Kelly could skate with anyone-but then what? i don't think we could count the breakaway opportunities we saw him get and then lose control of the puck and not get a shot off. But he was fun to watch even after he left RPI and was playing roller hockey. I don't expect that same lack of control out of Melanson but it is so hard to predict how these kids will turn out for us.
                          I suspect that he isn't that type. I was just pointing out that speed alone isn't too important. I agree that it can't be ataught.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I suspect that he isn't that type. I was just pointing out that speed alone isn't too important. I agree that it can't be ataught.
                            I have been watching college hockey a very long time. As you know Jen and i also go to a bunch of high school games where there are many recruiters and scouts. I always thought I knew a lot about this game but sitting with these people is just a learning experience. They watch the game differently and look for things that i never even think of. Often they cannot even tell you the score or how much time is left. But they can tell you who matches up well against who and watch each individual confrontation. But even they admit, after a few drinks especially, that predicting how these kids will do in a few years can often be a total crapshoot.

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                              The roughing was pure retaliation. He didn't throw too many punches back, but enough to make it matching.

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                                I have to admit that I don't follow this thread very closely until after the Engineer season ends.
                                However, I do check in to see the stats on occasion.
                                Today I noticed that two of our recruits Wood and DeVito neither one of which tips the scale at over 165 or reaches heights over 5'10" have accumulated 72 and 63 PIM respectively.
                                Are these just tough guys, or are they trying to prove something. I know a lot of smaller forwards need to stand up for themselves and some actually are the aggressors by necessity.
                                Has anyone seen these guys play or do any of you know what circumstances have lead to these lofty PIM?
                                to answer your last question, after following this team all season I would say the team as a whole is very undisciplined. This line from tonight's game has not been uncommon for Lincoln. BTW, Devito had a 10 min misconduct for abuse of officials in the 1st period......Period 3
                                Lincoln - Zachary Aston-Reese - (Holding), 2 MIN, 2:00
                                Waterloo - Taylor Cammarata - (Slashing), 2 MIN, 3:03
                                Lincoln - Zack Pittman - (Hooking), 2 MIN, 6:28
                                Lincoln - Mike McKee - (Cross Checking), 2 MIN, 9:20
                                Lincoln - Mike McKee - (Slashing) (Major), 5 MIN, 9:20
                                Lincoln - Mike McKee - (Spearing) (Game Ejection), 10 MIN, 9:20
                                Lincoln - Tommy Schutt - (Leaving Players Bench) (Game Misconduct), 10 MIN, 9:20
                                Lincoln - Jimmy McGroarty - (Leaving Players Bench) (Game Misconduct), 10 MIN, 9:20
                                Lincoln - Tommy Schutt - (Leaving Players Bench) (Major), 5 MIN, 9:20
                                Lincoln - Zach Frye - (Roughing), 2 MIN, 9:20
                                Lincoln - Zach Frye - (Unsportsmanlike Conduct) (Game Ejection), 10 MIN, 9:20
                                Lincoln - Jackson Teichroeb - (Spearing) (Double Minor), 4 MIN, 12:50
                                Lincoln - Jackson Teichroeb - (Spearing) (Game Ejection), 10 MIN, 12:50

Comment

Working...
                                X