Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 54

Thread: Ledyard Bank Tournament - Dartmouth/UNH/UMass/Bemidji - Sun/Mon Dec 30/31

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,126

    Ledyard Bank Tournament - Dartmouth/UNH/UMass/Bemidji - Sun/Mon Dec 30/31

    Turning out to be a pretty good matchup with UNH and Dartmouth facing off in the late game on Sunday, December 30 as both teams are highly ranked and high in the PWR (Both meaningless at this point), and interest fairly high as the first day is sold out save for SRO seats.

    Got a note that they adjusted the second day so Dartmouth will play in the late game and UNH the early game regardless of the matchup and the stakes (Championship game could precede the consolation game if UNH wins Sunday)....

    We picked up some SRO seats just in case we are able to make it (only 6 bucks, bargain!) to the first night. Thinking we'll be able to grab a few seats during the first game easily, and hopefully, if there is a UMass and a BSU section, grab a few seats in one of those during the main event, will this be likely?

    What can we expect from these teams?

  2. #2
    beaverhockeyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Garfield and Bemidji State, MN
    Posts
    4,227

    Re: Ledyard Bank Tournament - Dartmouth/UNH/UMass/Bemidji - Sun/Mon Dec 30/31

    For Bemidji, it will be interesting to see what team shows up. The team that just got done taking three points from Denver and took three points from Nebraska-Omaha this year, or the one that played at Mankato.

    Goaltending, which has always been a BSU strong suit, has been up and down this year. Sophomore Andrew Walsh started the year well, then looked shaky, and now in his last three has looked solid. Senior Mathieu Dugas took the reins when handed, played well and then slumped. So it has really been a case of trying to play the hot hand when they are hot.

    Defense has been shaky as well this year. They either allow 0-1 goal, or they allow 5. This past weekend against Denver, they probably had their best weekend keeping the slot clear and keeping Denver to the outside. When Walsh did give up a rebound, they were in position to clear it.

    Offensively, BSU has struggled from time to time, which is not uncommon for the Beavers. They have always been known as a defensive team. But this year they have put up a 4-5 goals a couple of times, so there is some promise there. Senior Jordan George is (was?) the only current player in the NCAA to have 50+ career goals. It really has been a scoring by committee for the Beavers as no one is really out in front on the score sheet. Brance Orban leads with 12, George and Danny Mattson have 11, and then 7 players with 5 plus points.

    BSU will pressure the puck all over the ice. They fore check hard, hoping to create turnovers and they work hard along the walls. There is some team speed there and they aren't afraid to try and spring someone, even on the penalty kill.

    Should be a fun tournament. Wish I could be there!
    Millsy

    NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
    FROZEN FOUR 2009!


    "Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

    BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
    NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
    NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
    NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
    NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
    Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
    Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Monks, Iowa
    Posts
    6,958

    Re: Ledyard Bank Tournament - Dartmouth/UNH/UMass/Bemidji - Sun/Mon Dec 30/31

    Quote Originally Posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
    Senior Jordan George is (was?) the only current player in the NCAA to have 50+ career goals.
    I don't know if anyone else has jumped in as well but SCSU's Ben Hanowski has 50 now
    tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

    Best USCHO quotes to date:

    "UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

    "It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

    "I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    71

    Re: Ledyard Bank Tournament - Dartmouth/UNH/UMass/Bemidji - Sun/Mon Dec 30/31

    Looking forward to what should be a great game between UNH and Dartmouth.

    The Big Green are big and skilled up front and I'd take the Lindblad-Sikura-Walsh line against anyone even though Walsh still hasn't played his best hockey this year.Also a very young team as a whole and will likely play 7-8 freshman and 6-7 sophomores with only 2 seniors suiting up for the team so far this season. The other big story has been the outstanding work of the penalty kill, which has only given up one goal on the season to this point.

    A win against the Wildcats could end up being huge down the stretch if the team continues to play well in the latter part of the conference season and is in contention for an at large tournament bid.

    Hoping for a pair of Dartmouth victories in the tournament.
    Go Dartmouth!

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,126
    Quote Originally Posted by Green14 View Post
    Looking forward to what should be a great game between UNH and Dartmouth.

    The Big Green are big and skilled up front and I'd take the Lindblad-Sikura-Walsh line against anyone even though Walsh still hasn't played his best hockey this year.Also a very young team as a whole and will likely play 7-8 freshman and 6-7 sophomores with only 2 seniors suiting up for the team so far this season. The other big story has been the outstanding work of the penalty kill, which has only given up one goal on the season to this point.

    A win against the Wildcats could end up being huge down the stretch if the team continues to play well in the latter part of the conference season and is in contention for an at large tournament bid.

    Hoping for a pair of Dartmouth victories in the tournament.
    UNH and Dartmouth have combined to allow just 3 power play goals. In fact, UNH is +2 while short handed this season. That said, watch this game feature half a dozen ppg's!

  6. #6
    Jesus saves! UNO shoots! They score
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Papillion, NE
    Posts
    1,985

    Re: Ledyard Bank Tournament - Dartmouth/UNH/UMass/Bemidji - Sun/Mon Dec 30/31

    Quote Originally Posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
    For Bemidji, it will be interesting to see what team shows up. The team that just got done taking three points from Denver and took three points from Nebraska-Omaha this year, or the one that played at Mankato.

    Goaltending, which has always been a BSU strong suit, has been up and down this year. Sophomore Andrew Walsh started the year well, then looked shaky, and now in his last three has looked solid. Senior Mathieu Dugas took the reins when handed, played well and then slumped. So it has really been a case of trying to play the hot hand when they are hot.

    Defense has been shaky as well this year. They either allow 0-1 goal, or they allow 5. This past weekend against Denver, they probably had their best weekend keeping the slot clear and keeping Denver to the outside. When Walsh did give up a rebound, they were in position to clear it.

    Offensively, BSU has struggled from time to time, which is not uncommon for the Beavers. They have always been known as a defensive team. But this year they have put up a 4-5 goals a couple of times, so there is some promise there. Senior Jordan George is (was?) the only current player in the NCAA to have 50+ career goals. It really has been a scoring by committee for the Beavers as no one is really out in front on the score sheet. Brance Orban leads with 12, George and Danny Mattson have 11, and then 7 players with 5 plus points.

    BSU will pressure the puck all over the ice. They fore check hard, hoping to create turnovers and they work hard along the walls. There is some team speed there and they aren't afraid to try and spring someone, even on the penalty kill.

    Should be a fun tournament. Wish I could be there!
    You guys should just rename yourselves the "Neutral Zone Traps".

  7. #7
    beaverhockeyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Garfield and Bemidji State, MN
    Posts
    4,227

    Re: Ledyard Bank Tournament - Dartmouth/UNH/UMass/Bemidji - Sun/Mon Dec 30/31

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Cows View Post
    You guys should just rename yourselves the "Neutral Zone Traps".
    UNO must be the only team that the Beavers do that against; I haven't heard of any other teams complaining about it. Now if you want to see a trap, go look at videos of the old Wayne State Warriors from the CHA days. That was a trap.

    But I guess with the lack of success UNO has had against BSU, you have to have something to blame it on.
    Millsy

    NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
    FROZEN FOUR 2009!


    "Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

    BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
    NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
    NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
    NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
    NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
    Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
    Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

  8. #8
    Jesus saves! UNO shoots! They score
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Papillion, NE
    Posts
    1,985

    Re: Ledyard Bank Tournament - Dartmouth/UNH/UMass/Bemidji - Sun/Mon Dec 30/31

    Quote Originally Posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
    UNO must be the only team that the Beavers do that against; I haven't heard of any other teams complaining about it. Now if you want to see a trap, go look at videos of the old Wayne State Warriors from the CHA days. That was a trap.

    But I guess with the lack of success UNO has had against BSU, you have to have something to blame it on.
    UNO's radio announcers just rail about it every time we play you. Lots of adjectives used like "boring", "snoozefest", "awful" get uttered.

    By the way, UNO has played Wayne State before they went back to being a club team. Twice. Both times in Omaha in 2005. I don't have any particular recollection of either game, but they weren't terribly low scoring affairs, with UNO winning both games by margins of 3-2 & 4-2.

    What I DO remember was the student section chanting "Warriors, come out and play" the same way the guy said it in the movie as they were taking the ice.

    Creepy.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Monks, Iowa
    Posts
    6,958

    Re: Ledyard Bank Tournament - Dartmouth/UNH/UMass/Bemidji - Sun/Mon Dec 30/31

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Cows View Post
    UNO's radio announcers just rail about it every time we play you. Lots of adjectives used like "boring", "snoozefest", "awful" get uttered.
    Haven't seen any of those games, but is it possible your announcers don't know what they're talking about and call any defensive team a trap team? Also, if they are a trap team, it certainly seems to be working well against you guys, so they should probably keep doing it.
    tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

    Best USCHO quotes to date:

    "UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

    "It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

    "I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

  10. #10
    Cheer up, the worst is yet to come gmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    12,134
    Quote Originally Posted by SCSU Euro View Post
    Haven't seen any of those games, but is it possible your announcers don't know what they're talking about and call any defensive team a trap team?
    Bingo!

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Monks, Iowa
    Posts
    6,958

    Re: Ledyard Bank Tournament - Dartmouth/UNH/UMass/Bemidji - Sun/Mon Dec 30/31

    Quote Originally Posted by gmann View Post
    Bingo!
    Dammit.... I had four in a row four different ways and somebody else yells Bingo
    tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

    Best USCHO quotes to date:

    "UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

    "It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

    "I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

  12. #12
    Cheer up, the worst is yet to come gmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    12,134
    Quote Originally Posted by SCSU Euro View Post
    Dammit.... I had four in a row four different ways and somebody else yells Bingo
    I wonder what words the UNO announcers use to describe a team that dumps and chases? Left wing lock?
    Last edited by gmann; 12-21-2012 at 06:54 PM.

  13. #13
    Jesus saves! UNO shoots! They score
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Papillion, NE
    Posts
    1,985

    Re: Ledyard Bank Tournament - Dartmouth/UNH/UMass/Bemidji - Sun/Mon Dec 30/31

    Quote Originally Posted by SCSU Euro View Post
    Haven't seen any of those games, but is it possible your announcers don't know what they're talking about and call any defensive team a trap team? Also, if they are a trap team, it certainly seems to be working well against you guys, so they should probably keep doing it.
    The other team that's gotten their goat is UAH, for the same "reason". We've played them 6 times in the past 3 seasons, remember.

    Dave Ahlers is the UNO announcer (and the UNO Sports Information Director) and, while he's a good guy, he is a pretty bad hockey announcer. So much so that our our fan forum (Mavpuck) has a thread about listening alternatives to him, so I am far from alone in that thought. If you turn on the game when it's already under way, good luck getting the score, the time left in the period, or even much a description of what's going on. He calls games and I think he forgets he's on the radio and not on TV.

    If I were an opposing team's head coach I'd sure be looking at whatever it is that the Beavers and the Chargers are doing when they play us because, whatever it is, Coach Blais sure hasn't figured it out. Struggle mightily against them we have.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Monks, Iowa
    Posts
    6,958

    Re: Ledyard Bank Tournament - Dartmouth/UNH/UMass/Bemidji - Sun/Mon Dec 30/31

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Cows View Post
    The other team that's gotten their goat is UAH, for the same "reason". We've played them 6 times in the past 3 seasons, remember.

    Dave Ahlers is the UNO announcer (and the UNO Sports Information Director) and, while he's a good guy, he is a pretty bad hockey announcer. So much so that our our fan forum (Mavpuck) has a thread about listening alternatives to him, so I am far from alone in that thought. If you turn on the game when it's already under way, good luck getting the score, the time left in the period, or even much a description of what's going on. He calls games and I think he forgets he's on the radio and not on TV.

    If I were an opposing team's head coach I'd sure be looking at whatever it is that the Beavers and the Chargers are doing when they play us because, whatever it is, Coach Blais sure hasn't figured it out. Struggle mightily against them we have.
    I'm in radio and do play-by-play for sports... tell whoever makes the decision you want SCSU Euro hired to cover UNO hockey.
    tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

    Best USCHO quotes to date:

    "UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

    "It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

    "I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

  15. #15
    Jesus saves! UNO shoots! They score
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Papillion, NE
    Posts
    1,985

    Re: Ledyard Bank Tournament - Dartmouth/UNH/UMass/Bemidji - Sun/Mon Dec 30/31

    Quote Originally Posted by SCSU Euro View Post
    I'm in radio and do play-by-play for sports... tell whoever makes the decision you want SCSU Euro hired to cover UNO hockey.
    This is getting off topic and I want to apologize for kind of hijacking the thread a bit. One more thing and I'll bow out here.

    Euro, I assume you know that Dave Ahlers, UNO's current radio play by play guy, replaced Greg Harrington starting in the '09-'10 season. Up to that point, Harrington had done every game in UNO history. I also assume you know that Harrington was SCSU's old announcer on WJON/WWJO in the 1980's? In fact, during his entire tenure at UNO, Harrington continued to live in St Paul, never moved to Omaha, and when he was let go by former UNO Head Coach, now Associate AD Mike Kemp, he was told he was being let go strictly for economic reasons. Why? Because his travel costs associated with his living in Minnesota and not traveling with the team were costing the school an extra 20K-30K per year, so he was told. So, over that fairly meager sum we lost one of the best hockey announcers I've ever heard, ANYWHERE.

    Ahlers, by the way, was the play by play man for the Omaha Knights for their two seasons ('05-'06 & "06-'07) in Omaha. I hear he's even won broadcasting awards prior to coming to Omaha. I don't see how. He is a very nice guy but is beyond awful. Hated (from a broadcasting standpoint, only, I want to stress) by most UNO fans I have spoken to. Maybe that's some indicator of how good Harrington is/was.

    So, I have a hard time believing that Trev Alberts is gonna do for you what he wouldn't for Greg Harrington.
    Last edited by Red Cows; 12-22-2012 at 11:58 PM.

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Thornton, NH
    Posts
    6,773
    Yes, getting off topic. The main event at this tournament is the Dartmouth - UNH game. There is no way that the tournament organizers could have known that this game would be between two of the three best defensive teams in the nation. If these two teams had been playing this well at this point in any of the past few seasons, perhaps the Riverstone Cup at the Verizon Center would have survived. This one has the potential to be the greatest game ever played at Thompson Arena.

  17. #17
    mystic curmudgeon
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    in the moment (but it ain't easy)
    Posts
    1,465

    Re: Ledyard Bank Tournament - Dartmouth/UNH/UMass/Bemidji - Sun/Mon Dec 30/31

    Apparently the game is a sellout ... wonder what %age will be UNH fans?

  18. #18
    Hopeful Realist
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Depends on who's asking
    Posts
    1,986

    Re: Ledyard Bank Tournament - Dartmouth/UNH/UMass/Bemidji - Sun/Mon Dec 30/31

    Quote Originally Posted by Snively65 View Post
    Yes, getting off topic. The main event at this tournament is the Dartmouth - UNH game. There is no way that the tournament organizers could have known that this game would be between two of the three best defensive teams in the nation. If these two teams had been playing this well at this point in any of the past few seasons, perhaps the Riverstone Cup at the Verizon Center would have survived. This one has the potential to be the greatest game ever played at Thompson Arena.
    Snively65, any game has the potential to be the greatest game ever played at Thompson Arena!

    I'm quite happy that the annual Riverstone Cup match didn't survive. I actually like the idea of UNH playing up there in DC's tourney, and wouldn't mind if it were an annual event (but perhaps with UNH not regularly playing Dartmouth on the first night.) Although Manchester is much closer for me to travel to, and though I didn't buy tickets this year for the Dartmouth tourney, I've attended it before and would prefer going to Hanover than to the VC which never seems to have the crowd buzz during the regular season, as compared with a true home/away venue.

    It should be a good game, ending in a 0-0 tie (which, of course, would be impossible in a tournament.)
    We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found ourselves than by those which have occurred to others.
    ---Blaise Pascal

    When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.
    --Richard Dawkins

    UNH Wildcats: Winners, 20XX NCAA Men's Hockey National Championship

  19. #19
    beaverhockeyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Garfield and Bemidji State, MN
    Posts
    4,227

    Re: Ledyard Bank Tournament - Dartmouth/UNH/UMass/Bemidji - Sun/Mon Dec 30/31

    So how is the quality of the video feed from the Dartmouth site? Thinking about purchasing a one month pass for the Bemidji games. Thanks!
    Millsy

    NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
    FROZEN FOUR 2009!


    "Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

    BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
    NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
    NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
    NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
    NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
    Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
    Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Thornton, NH
    Posts
    6,773
    Quote Originally Posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
    So how is the quality of the video feed from the Dartmouth site? Thinking about purchasing a one month pass for the Bemidji games. Thanks!
    Only been to one game at Thompson Rink, so no idea on video feed. But, looking forward to seeing Bemidji State play in the first game, which could have PWR implications for UNH.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •