Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNO 2012-13 Season Thread - Blaising To An Xcellent Season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNO 2012-13 Season Thread - Blaising To An Xcellent Season?

How on Earth did we manage to get even this far into the season without a thread?

UNO looking like anything but the preseason 7th or 8th place team in the conference, to date.

That said, we'll see what happens when we start playing actual conference foes.

Coach Blais after last night's game:

“That’s as good as we can play, as good as we’ve played in a long time,” UNO coach Dean Blais said. “Even last year when we won a few games, it wasn’t like this.”

Re: UNO 2012-13 Season Thread - Blaising To An Xcellent Season?

Tough night where the puck just didn't want to go in, again, ala the Notre Dame game at the Icebreaker.

UNO continues to play well, even in a losing cause. Now only given up 8 goals in 5 games. Northern Michigan didn't have more than 9 shots in any period in the 2 games. UNO is now on an 8 consecutive period stretch of allowing 9 shots or less in a single period.

Stolarz has been in goal for both UNO losses so far this year.

"Huge" goalie night in Omaha. The Mav's Stolarz is 6'7" and Northern's Coreau is 6' 4".

Gotta start getting the puck in the net a little more and stop wasting good defensive efforts.
    Last edited by Red Cows; 10-20-2012, 11:35 PM.

Comment

We saw the real NMU last night.
      University of Wisconsin - River Falls Men's and Women's Hockey Broadcaster 2007-2012
      University of Nebraska at Omaha Intermission/Post Game Host and Statistician 2012-2014
      https://***********/SilversSports

Comment

It was good to see some NMU fans come down to the games. Stolarz is 6'6" according to the team website. Mavs looked outstanding friday night. Sat not so much. I'm hoping to see Belfour play soon.
        UNLEASH THE FURY!!!!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLMMx3MRi0s

Comment

O.K., Mav fan, Dan Bakala is gone from BSU and perhaps we can now stop making the Beavers look like the old Montreal Canadiens teams of the 1970's on our own ice this weekend.

In other news, John Faulkner says he is up to the task in his "second" senior season:

http://www.omaha.com/article/2012102...ng-to-old-form

Mixed feelings about Faulkner. He is one streaky goalie.
          Last edited by Red Cows; 10-25-2012, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Short-handed goals to win the game, in conference, on the road, with 70 seconds left in the game?

Me likey. A lot.

Comment

I love that we have not been able to count to 5, 4 times this season. Good win but that is getting ridiculous. Winning on the shorty is awesome.

Comment

Broom night. Sweep in Houghton. We pretty much blew them off their own ice tonight, or, rather, Zahn Raubenheimer did for the 2nd night in a row. Faulkner--undefeated on the season.

These too many men on the ice penalties are getting ridiculous, though.

Very encouraging, otherwise.

Comment

UNO 17th in Pairwise this week and 5th in the USCHO poll of "others receiving votes".

UNO squares off this weekend against UMD, a team that features 19 ex-USHL players (even more than UNO's 18 such players) including a couple ex-Omaha Lancers. UMD looks to be off to a slow start but is ranked 20th in the current USCHO poll, although I could not tell you why. I guess that even being a year removed from a title is still worth some street cred.

Since the Huskers play Penn State at home this weekend on Saturday at 2:30 P.M., the Saturday night hockey game is probably not going to be well attended. 2:07 matinee on Sunday for the 2nd game. Cheap tickets for Sunday (11 bucks) here:

http://www.mavpuck.com/mpboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9024
                  Last edited by Red Cows; 11-09-2012, 02:42 PM.

Comment

It's good sign when players on your team are garnering any sort of Player of the Week awards in your conference:

http://www.wcha.com/men/pres1213/201211/nov6wpm.php

............and, you are College Hockey News "team of the week":

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...aska-omaha.php
                    Last edited by Red Cows; 11-09-2012, 05:51 PM.

Comment

That was a hell of a sweep. Looks like the boys are heating up. Hopefully the off week doesnt cool them off. GO MAVS!

Comment

Faulkner remains undefeated in goal this season for UNO.

My gut tells me this is more a function of our defense than it is Faulkner since UNO went into the UMD series only allowing 21.6 shots per game--the best in the NCAA. That said, Faulkner does not exactly suck (6 shutouts in the '10 - '11 season) and has certainly had his moments in a Mav uniform. I still wonder how far we might have gone season before last in the NCAA's with an even more competent goalie than he, though. It haunts me.

Our offense is, so far, better than I expected (11th, nationally, who'd a thunk? But "only" 5th in the conference). I think our defense is and will be in the top 4 in the conference (and it is, currently) at season's end and I think there is room for improvement even in what I have seen so far.

The offense has been a very balanced attack, with 6 players with 8 or more points through 10 games, and last year's leading scorer is not one of those 6 guys!

UNO is among the least penalized teams in the country, 43rd in penalty minutes.

A deserved week off before we play what is fast becoming our "annual" UAH series. Thank God they are without Clarke Saunders. We've made that guy look like Dominik Hašek. Guess we can table thinking about him until we play UND.
                        Last edited by Red Cows; 11-12-2012, 08:17 PM.

Comment

I have been at every UNO home game for the last couple years. I watch Faulkner closely (I'm a sucker for being a fan of goalies), and he has looked great in net. He tends to give up softies now and then that you know he wants back, but he is solid. He stands tall, and he has a good eye for the puck. Against UMD this last weekend he faced a lot more shots and remained strong with 2.50 GAA. It's probably not where he wants to be, but it's a solid spot.

That said, our defense has stepped up far beyond what is was last year. Sustr is coming along great (still needs some mass, he needs to throw that body around more), Young is very solid, Megna is strong, Cooper is strong, Seeler is very D-savvy, this is a great D Corps.

I feel where Omaha goes wrong in the future against better teams in the Offense category. We may have had some strong scoring so far, but that is still where they are lacking. The speed isn't where it used to be. But Archibald has come along very nicely, White and Gwidt are solid leaders, we we have new guys stepping up every weekend. I hope it continues....I just want TWO wins against Huntsville this time...(No Saunders!)

Comment

UNO is 6th in College Hockey News power rankings this week:

http://blog.collegehockeynews.com/20...nkings-111412/

I just laugh and shake my head when I see stuff like this. UNO would be ranked higher than this (and, deservedly so, based on the season to-date events) if they had just "been around" as long as all the teams in front of them and had been a WCHA member for a lot longer as well. As frustrating as it is, we are just not yet seen as a true peer to those teams ahead of us on that list and we won't get a lot of respect or the benefit of the doubt much until we win and win on a consistent basis both now, and, in the NCHC (and every team in front of us except Minnesota is going there with us).

It's the same sort of thinking that had Minnesota-Duluth in here last weekend as the #20 team in the country despite the fact that they had a losing record and were absolutely nowhere to be seen in Pairwise, whereupon, they were promptly exposed. It's shocking to note that UMD STILL received some votes in the current USCHO poll after we swept them! If the shoe were on the other foot, UNO would have long ago have sunk under the waves.

So, the 2nd place team in the conference, coming off early consecutive sweeps of conference foes, one on the road, and one at home, who also has a split against the current #19 team, and a neutral ice loss against the #8 team in game that could have gone either way, is "only" 6th in the conference power rankings.

I shudder to think were we'd be if we didn't have a head coach with the level of street cred that he does.

Uh, O.K. We understand. I'd rather be the hunter than the hunted. It's more fun being the underdog, anyway.

We'll find out a little more at the end of the month when we head up to Mariucci Arena and play the Gophers, I guess.

Oh, did I forget to mention that we are undefeated there?

Stranger still, they are undefeated here.
                            Last edited by Red Cows; 11-14-2012, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
                              UNO is 6th in College Hockey News power rankings this week:

http://blog.collegehockeynews.com/20...nkings-111412/

I just laugh and shake my head when I see stuff like this. UNO would be ranked higher than this (and, deservedly so, based on the season to-date events) if they had just "been around" as long as all the teams in front of them and had been a WCHA member for a lot longer as well. As frustrating as it is, we are just not yet seen as a true peer to those teams ahead of us on that list and we won't get a lot of respect or the benefit of the doubt much until we win and win on a consistent basis both now, and, in the NCHC (and every team in front of us except Minnesota is going there with us).

It's the same sort of thinking that had Minnesota-Duluth in here last weekend as the #20 team in the country despite the fact that they had a losing record and were absolutely nowhere to be seen in Pairwise, whereupon, they were promptly exposed. It's shocking to note that UMD STILL received some votes in the current USCHO poll after we swept them! If the shoe were on the other foot, UNO would have long ago have sunk under the waves.

So, the 2nd place team in the conference, coming off early consecutive sweeps of conference foes, one on the road, and one at home, who also has a split against the current #19 team, and a neutral ice loss against the #8 team in game that could have gone either way, is "only" 6th in the conference power rankings.

I shudder to think were we'd be if we didn't have a head coach with the level of street cred that he does.

Uh, O.K. We understand. I'd rather be the hunter than the hunted. It's more fun being the underdog, anyway.

We'll find out a little more at the end of the month when we head up to Mariucci Arena and play the Gophers, I guess.

Oh, did I forget to mention that we are undefeated there?

Stranger still, they are undefeated here.
                              You. Have beaten. Nobody.

In conference play you swept (in their eyes) the worst and second worst teams in the conference, and you lost 3 of 4 points (and they don't care that they're your kryptonite) to the 7th ranked team at home.

Throw in there beating Army (not impressive), losing to Notre Dame (not impressive) and splitting with a barely top 20 Northern Michigan at home (not impressive).

Looking at that purely subjectively, not thinking about WHICH team that is, and yeah, that's a 6th place WCHA team. Your name recognition or lack thereof has nothing to do with it.

Beat UND, DU, SCSU and MN and you'll start getting your "props," but until then you're being treated just fine.
                              tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Working...
                              X