Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: '12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Originally posted by eye4talent View Post
    ha. i still can't believe Anastos got that job.

Went and watched Muskegon take on the U18's last night in Ann Arbor. Some quick player evals on future Huskies.
    Tyler Heinonen- good hands, quick release. sniper type of player. natural goal scorer. Good from the circle down and around the net. needs to continue working on his skating and defensive zone play.
    Chris Leibinger- tremendous skater. moves the puck well. good passer. Likes to join the play when opportunity arises. made a beautiful end to end rush and finished it off with a perfect pass in the slot for a goal. a bit on the small side at 5-9, but makes up for it with his skating and positioning.
    Only thing to like about Anastos is he may force women's hockey into the state of Michigan.

Recruits sound good. Hope they continue to develop.

Question, do you really believe in terms like "natural goal scorer" "gifted" "born to skate" or have you been living to long in MN? Genetics play some role but it's really about the time one puts in practicing. 10,000 hour rule.

Comment

I liken Anastos to that Italian cruise ship captain
      tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
        Only thing to like about Anastos is he may force women's hockey into the state of Michigan.

Recruits sound good. Hope they continue to develop.

Question, do you really believe in terms like "natural goal scorer" "gifted" "born to skate" or have you been living to long in MN? Genetics play some role but it's really about the time one puts in practicing. 10,000 hour rule.
        First i live in Michigan, and yes i believe in natural skaters and scorers. especially the guys who are good skaters. you can improve with practice, but the really good/world class skaters are born/naturals IMO. same with scoring. some guys can fly up and down their wing and look like they're doing something, but they never score. others you don't really notice until you look at the score sheet at the end of the game. some guys just have the knack for being in the right place and when they get the opportunity, they score.
        "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

An elite few are born with the hand-eye coordination to have a true seeing-eye shot, though it will still take a lot of practice to bring that into its prime.

It's like Mel says - the staff can teach and drill players on things like positioning, and playing without the puck, but they can't teach certain innate skills on the offensive side of the puck. Sniping is one of them. If everyone could snipe, hockey would be a very high-scoring game with no grinders or gritty players.

Skating, I believe is more teachable. Thus, the earlier you get a kid into skates and into skating classes, the better. Lots of guys were supposed to work on their foot speed and stride in the offseason.

some guys just have the knack for being in the right place and when they get the opportunity, they score.
          Exactly. Take Brett Hull - terrible skater, butterball; only made the NHL because he knew where he needed to be, and had one of the best shots in the history of the game. If his dad's genes didn't play a role in that, you're kidding yourself.
          Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 10-17-2012, 06:28 PM.

Comment

ha. i still can't believe Anastos got that job.

Went and watched Muskegon take on the U18's last night in Ann Arbor. Some quick player evals on future Huskies.

Tyler Heinonen- good hands, quick release. sniper type of player. natural goal scorer. Good from the circle down and around the net. needs to continue working on his skating and defensive zone play.

Chris Leibinger- tremendous skater. moves the puck well. good passer. Likes to join the play when opportunity arises. made a beautiful end to end rush and finished it off with a perfect pass in the slot for a goal. a bit on the small side at 5-9, but makes up for it with his skating and positioning.
            the scouting reports are always appreciated, thanks.
            Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
            USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Great read on the series vs the Gophers from Jess Myers:
              http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/M...rrection101812
              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                Great read on the series vs the Gophers from Jess Myers:
                http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/M...rrection101812
                Good article except Mark Alt comes across as a guy that shouldn't be troubled with the burden of having to take a bus trip to the UP of Michigan.

For people with the video feed, it sounds like they have found the source of the problem (static) and are replacing the aduio system used for video streaming.

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
                  Good article except Mark Alt comes across as a guy that shouldn't be troubled with the burden of having to take a bus trip to the UP of Michigan.
                  His comment did not shock me. I think you'd find most of the Gopher players feel that way. They are the creme de la creme of the MN state HS crop, and would rather play B1G opponents or the other MN schools that consider them the big rival. Tech has been a doormat for too long for any of them to have heard about, much less remember, the grudge matches of the 60s and 70s.

Interesting though, was the time in the Soo back in 2008, when a friend and I struck up a conversation with an old guy outside the Taffy Abel who saw our Tech jerseys and mentioned he used to play for Minnesota back in the 60s, before getting shipped out to Vietnam. He was retired and opted to move to the UP several years before. He said many of the Gopher players back then were quite jealous of Tech, which I assumed was likely because of the championships that MN did not yet have at the time. They really did not become a true national power until Herb Brooks came onto the scene in the mid-70s.

Times change, that's for sure.

Comment

I found that hilarious. You'd think that kid has never left the Twin Cities area before in his life. It must be rough to be on a coach bus with wifi and movies.
                    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

• Re: '12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

The last time Minnesota came to Houghton, they chartered a jet. Just FYI.
                      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Re: '12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                        Such a hard life, those poor Gophers.

Comment

Per Twitter, Pheonix (sic) Copley gets the start tonight for Tech.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            Per Twitter, Pheonix (sic) Copley gets the start tonight for Tech.
                            answered my question before I even asked.
                            Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                            "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                            Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                            Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                              **** Obama-led country!
                              tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Stephen Anderson article from today, only real change is C. Pietila is in for Holmberg

Huskies set for No. 1 Gophers
                                http://www.mininggazette.com/page/co....html?nav=5009

A couple tweets from Stephen:
                                No surprise, several #mtuhky recruits in town for the biggest home series before the early signing period. Big weekend on many fronts.

Rix will center Eick (L) an C. Pietila (R), not Pietila centering like I said in my article. Again, Copley will start in net. #mtuhky

Also, from Tech Hockey Guide - Alexander Gillies of Salmon Arm Silverbacks of BCHL has committed. 4 goals annd 2 assists in 9 games this season

Comment

Working...
                                X