Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35

Thread: MTU @/vs. LSSU: Battle of the Faded Dynasties

  1. #1
    Unobtanium Medallion FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Grounded
    Posts
    35,595

    Wink MTU @/vs. LSSU: Battle of the Faded Dynasties

    Tech busses across the UP to take on the Lakers on Thursday night in the Soo. Lake State returns the favor with a trip to Houghton on Saturday evening.

    First "real" games for both teams. Despite some likely rust this early in the year, this series should be a good preview of the nWCHA action to come.

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The Soo
    Posts
    665

    Re: MTU @/vs. LSSU: Battle of the Faded Dynasties

    Should be a good test for both teams looking for a solid last year in their respective conferences (as they know it)

  3. #3
    Really??!!
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Great white north
    Posts
    1,989

    Re: MTU @/vs. LSSU: Battle of the Faded Dynasties

    Quote Originally Posted by AnchorsAway View Post
    Should be a good test for both teams looking for a solid last year in their respective conferences (as they know it)
    Lazy, when have they played each other last? regular season, post and tournament?

  4. #4
    Unobtanium Medallion FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Grounded
    Posts
    35,595

    Re: MTU @/vs. LSSU: Battle of the Faded Dynasties

    Quote Originally Posted by giwan View Post
    Lazy, when have they played each other last? regular season, post and tournament?
    Last time a postseason matchup could've happened was when Tech was briefly in the CCHA from '82-'85.

    Last time we played LSSU in the regular season would've been 2010, the final Superior Showcase year.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Ugh. Badgerland.
    Posts
    1,286

    Re: MTU @/vs. LSSU: Battle of the Faded Dynasties

    Does LSSU have a video feed?

  6. #6
    Michigan Tech Fan
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    2,577

    Re: MTU @/vs. LSSU: Battle of the Faded Dynasties

    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Last time we played LSSU in the regular season would've been 2010, the final Superior Showcase year.
    And yes, we rang the ship's bell after the game!

    In honor of this thread's title, I present the following image which honors the geographical bookends of this UP D-I championship string. Time for Tech to work towards add a new year to their list. And to NMU... Yes, one is the loneliest number.
    Ryan J


    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
    Quote Originally Posted by manurespreader View Post
    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

  7. #7

    Re: MTU @/vs. LSSU: Battle of the Faded Dynasties

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    And yes, we rang the ship's bell after the game!

    In honor of this thread's title, I present the following image which honors the geographical bookends of this UP D-I championship string. Time for Tech to work towards add a new year to their list. And to NMU... Yes, one is the loneliest number.
    Ryan J


    I'm really surprised they forgot LSSU's 1994 National Championship. Maybe somebody should tell BU about this.
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

  8. #8
    soldier of fortune
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    350 miles southwest of a dirty copper mine
    Posts
    15,746

    Re: MTU @/vs. LSSU: Battle of the Faded Dynasties

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    And yes, we rang the ship's bell after the game!

    In honor of this thread's title, I present the following image which honors the geographical bookends of this UP D-I championship string. Time for Tech to work towards add a new year to their list. And to NMU... Yes, one is the loneliest number.
    Ryan J


    Nice! Also, it's amusing to think that even when this thing was published (1993?) LSSU had the most national championships of all the UP schools... if you count NAIA.

    So, when the UP becomes its own state, can the flag be black, green, blue and gold?
    Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

    Originally posted by The Darkness:
    I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.


    Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
    Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.


    Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

  9. #9
    Unobtanium Medallion FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Grounded
    Posts
    35,595

    Re: MTU @/vs. LSSU: Battle of the Faded Dynasties

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    And yes, we rang the ship's bell after the game!
    How'd you pull that off? I thought LSSU kept the padlock on it unless they won.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
    I'm really surprised they forgot LSSU's 1994 National Championship. Maybe somebody should tell BU about this.
    Probably an older poster - 1993 or early 1994, I'd guess?
    Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 10-09-2012 at 01:46 PM.

  10. #10
    Armed bigblue_dl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    God's Country
    Posts
    32,911

    Re: MTU @/vs. LSSU: Battle of the Faded Dynasties

    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    How'd you pull that off? I thought LSSU kept the padlock on it unless they won.
    Just go to Home Depot, buy a hammer, and pound the **** out of the bell.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

    RIP - Kirby

  11. #11

    Re: MTU @/vs. LSSU: Battle of the Faded Dynasties

    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Probably an older poster - 1993 or early 1994, I'd guess?
    If that is the case, maybe it's time to commission a new one...or perhaps they are waiting until Tech wins another title
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

  12. #12
    Unobtanium Medallion FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Grounded
    Posts
    35,595

    Re: MTU @/vs. LSSU: Battle of the Faded Dynasties

    Quote Originally Posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
    If that is the case, maybe it's time to commission a new one...or perhaps they are waiting until Tech wins another title
    That'd be akin to this:

    *******https://i6.***********.com/albums/y227/association330/leaf-fan-waiting-for-cup_zpsd3b5c90d.jpeg********

  13. #13
    MTU NMU LSSU
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    UP
    Posts
    413

    Re: MTU @/vs. LSSU: Battle of the Faded Dynasties

    When's the last time a UP team made the NCAA tourney?

  14. #14

    Re: MTU @/vs. LSSU: Battle of the Faded Dynasties

    Quote Originally Posted by UpNorthHockey View Post
    When's the last time a UP team made the NCAA tourney?
    2010 - Northern Michigan.

    LSSU last made it in 1996, and Tech in 1981 (I believe).
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

  15. #15
    Follow me on Twitter: @Biddco Biddco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Crystal, Minnesota
    Posts
    8,927

    Re: MTU @/vs. LSSU: Battle of the Faded Dynasties

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    And yes, we rang the ship's bell after the game!

    In honor of this thread's title, I present the following image which honors the geographical bookends of this UP D-I championship string. Time for Tech to work towards add a new year to their list. And to NMU... Yes, one is the loneliest number.
    Ryan J


    As a geography dork that is one cool peace of memorabilia. How did you get that?
    tUMD Hockey

    "And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

  16. #16
    Unobtanium Medallion FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Grounded
    Posts
    35,595

    Re: MTU @/vs. LSSU: Battle of the Faded Dynasties

    Hope this doesn't turn into a trap series for Tech. Lake State's D is just as veteran as ours, and their goaltending is a lot more solidified at this point. It'll be interesting to see which of our goalies Pearson throws out there on Thursday. The call will supposedly be made after tomorrow's practice, before they leave for the Soo.

  17. #17
    Michigan Tech Fan
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    2,577

    Re: MTU @/vs. LSSU: Battle of the Faded Dynasties

    Quote Originally Posted by Biddco View Post
    As a geography dork that is one cool peace of memorabilia. How did you get that?
    I purchased the UP print off Ebay and it is actually from the late 1980s or very early 1990s based on the jerseys and striped breezers that show up in the art work. There is no date of any kind on the print.

    This same artist produced the artwork below which is a limited edition / signed and numbered print run of 500 and came from a hockey collector in downstate Michigan. In the lower right corner is reads "Michigan Tech Hockey Collectors Series #1" but I have never seen any similar prints until the UP one surfaced. Maybe the artist did other prints for NMU and LSSU?

    The interesting part is that this print is of #22 John Young, #24 Jim Storm and #29 Geoff Sarjeant. I have the #22 and #24 jerseys from this set, but the #29 still remains out there somewhere. Even one of my cats is looking for it...
    Ryan J



    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
    Quote Originally Posted by manurespreader View Post
    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

  18. #18
    MTU NMU LSSU
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    UP
    Posts
    413

    Re: MTU @/vs. LSSU: Battle of the Faded Dynasties

    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Hope this doesn't turn into a trap series for Tech. Lake State's D is just as veteran as ours, and their goaltending is a lot more solidified at this point. It'll be interesting to see which of our goalies Pearson throws out there on Thursday. The call will supposedly be made after tomorrow's practice, before they leave for the Soo.
    I agree...Tech's goaltending is really the big question. No doubt that we've got a bit more offensive firepower, but I also think our D is deeper than LSSU's.
    To me, LSSU looks very vulnerable, unless we have problems in goal. It'll be tough to trap with the speed Tech has.
    I see Copley getting the start...mostly cuz he was picked to start against Brock and because Genoe and Phillips let in some softies.
    I really hope one or two of the three goalies gets hot, as this team has the potential to go far with a solid goalie.

  19. #19
    Crazy Kowalski
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Sault Ste. Marie, MI
    Posts
    7,286

    Re: MTU @/vs. LSSU: Battle of the Faded Dynasties

    Quote Originally Posted by stuckinwi View Post
    Does LSSU have a video feed?
    https://www.b2tv.com/partner_members.asp?id=23

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Ugh. Badgerland.
    Posts
    1,286
    Sweet, now to find reliable wireless as the hotel wireless is ****...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •