This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Union Hockey 2012-2013 - Unfinished Business

I did not watch the game. I only got the twitter updates. I saw that Union was o-fer on the PP and that Merrimack got two quick ones in the early third.

To those who went to the game: Was Union man-handled? Just out-played? I heard that Troy had rebound control issues.

Hats off to Merrimack for coming into a hostile building on a big night and walking out with a solid victory.

I just want to know if there are signs of life for the next few games or if this is going to be a partial rebuilding issue with a lot of the chemistry of last year having departed.

Thanks in advance.

Keith.
    Keith Reynolds
    Union College
    Class of 1992
    B.A. in Economics/Mathematics

University of Nevada - Las Vegas
    Class of 2001
    M.S. in Sports and Leisure Management

"I went to Union before it sucked...."

Comment

Rick Bennett's insightful post game press conference:

http://www.dailygazette.com/videos/2012/oct/03/1167/

Comment

Originally posted by uniontrack View Post
        I did not watch the game. I only got the twitter updates. I saw that Union was o-fer on the PP and that Merrimack got two quick ones in the early third.

To those who went to the game: Was Union man-handled? Just out-played? I heard that Troy had rebound control issues.

Hats off to Merrimack for coming into a hostile building on a big night and walking out with a solid victory.

I just want to know if there are signs of life for the next few games or if this is going to be a partial rebuilding issue with a lot of the chemistry of last year having departed.

Thanks in advance.

Keith.
        It's safe to say Union was out-played. But it's too early to throw around the R world (rebuilding). Though they lost a few key pieces, the vast majority of the team is still here, and the freshman have nice potential. Bennett's thoughts in the post-gamer paint a good picture of how things went.

Comment

Pete Iorizzo (TU) has a column about Messa Rink:

http://www.timesunion.com/sports/art...er-3925636.php

Comment

I would characterize the game as a flat performance which under the circumstances is a bit surprising. Nonetheless, Union was in the game into the third period, but there is no solace in that. Major props though to Merrimack which played a very solid game in all areas with the possible exception of the PP.

Union rarely crashed the net or created screens down low. A lot of long range shots which good goalies will handle 95% of the time. On the power play it looked like they were trying to force the issue when passing lanes were effectively closed down. Some very undisciplined penalties by Union as well. Keep in mind that there have been no "official" practices yet and that the coaching staff was severely limited by NCAA regulations in terms of time on the ice and coaching input. Of course the same applied to Merrimack as well. I didn't think that Grosenick was that sharp though he did stone two breakaways.

On the plus side, it looks like Union may have the right handed point man they have been looking for on the PP. Gingras moved the puck well and has a very lively shot from the point. I was also impressed with Wilkins who looks like he has some offensive chops.

If a loss can be looked at in a any sense in a positive manner, it provided an object lesson that Union will not be able to mail it in against any opponent this season. We are in the position now of being the hunted where opponents relish the chance of knocking off a top team. Of course to remain a top team, a top effort is needed night after night.

Comment

Originally posted by rdf8585 View Post
              It's safe to say Union was out-played. But it's too early to throw around the R world (rebuilding). Though they lost a few key pieces, the vast majority of the team is still here, and the freshman have nice potential. Bennett's thoughts in the post-gamer paint a good picture of how things went.
              For a team like Union, it's no sure thing you're going to "reload" after losing key guys, in the same manner that say a BC or Michigan does with multiple blue chip recruits in every class. Not saying it's a rebuilding year, but at the same time, it's no given that you'll be back in the NCAA's, let alone the FF.

Comment

So, after traveling 1,200 miles and winning award after award, this is how the home crowd is thanked? With a flat performance? Hey team - stop reading your press releases. No one is going to hand you a game. Pay the price, clog lanes, race for every icing puck, and create your own chances. Perhaps you need a puckless practice to remember what hard work and desire means. I think Union simply overlooked Merrimack - not a name brand school, not a great history, blah blah blah. Guess what? They can play, and they beat you pretty badly tonight. Keep up the sloppy effort, undisciplined penalties and you'll see what Union Hockey was for the better part of the last 20 years.

Yes, I'm irritated.
                Not everyone agrees, apparently. And that's fine. They're allowed. That's what makes sports -- and sports fandom -- the compelling force it is in our lives. - Jayson Stark, ESPN Baseball Analyst

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                  Keep in mind that there have been no "official" practices yet and that the coaching staff was severely limited by NCAA regulations in terms of time on the ice and coaching input. Of course the same applied to Merrimack as well.
                  It always amazes me that programs schedule these regular season games before they have had an official practice.

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                    It always amazes me that programs schedule these regular season games before they have had an official practice.
                    I wouldn't think Union does it again next year. I underestimated the risk in playing before official practices, especially against a tough team. It's not like they were playing cupcakes like Acadia in a meaningless exhibition. It turned out to be a bigger issue than I expected and likely a factor in coming out flat like they did. It's not an excuse, and Merrimack was bound by the same restrictions, but it's tough situation to be in. With a week of practices on tap, I'm expecting a much better effort next weekend. It sounds like Monday's practice won't be fun.

Is there a reason why this game had to be played yesterday? The schools had some mutual off-weekends, like Dec 14-15.

Comment

I wouldn't think Union does it again next year. I underestimated the risk in playing before official practices, especially against a tough team. It's not like they were playing cupcakes like Acadia in a meaningless exhibition. It turned out to be a bigger issue than I expected and likely a factor in coming out flat like they did. It's not an excuse, and Merrimack was bound by the same restrictions, but it's tough situation to be in. With a week of practices on tap, I'm expecting a much better effort next weekend. It sounds like Monday's practice won't be fun.

Is there a reason why this game had to be played yesterday? The schools had some mutual off-weekends, like Dec 14-15.
                      How do you know Merrimack does not have exams scheduled for that week? It's probably the same reason why we don't play ECAC games the week before Thanksgiving: you have exams.

Comment

Pete Iorizzo (TU) has a column about Messa Rink:

http://www.timesunion.com/sports/art...er-3925636.php
                        Didn't mention it was a salt shed. It does have character....alot like the old bus station in Albany.
                        "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                          How do you know Merrimack does not have exams scheduled for that week? It's probably the same reason why we don't play ECAC games the week before Thanksgiving: you have exams.
                          I guess Merrimack does have finals that week (ending on December 14th)... though they have a Tuesday game against Army that week anyway. Not many windows for these two to play this year.

Comment

Bowling Green has lost defenseman Jake Sloat to a broken leg. Sloat played in 42 games last year and led BG with 48 blocked shots. Union sees them next weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Chefvad View Post
                              So, after traveling 1,200 miles and winning award after award, this is how the home crowd is thanked? With a flat performance? Hey team - stop reading your press releases. No one is going to hand you a game. Pay the price, clog lanes, race for every icing puck, and create your own chances. Perhaps you need a puckless practice to remember what hard work and desire means. I think Union simply overlooked Merrimack - not a name brand school, not a great history, blah blah blah. Guess what? They can play, and they beat you pretty badly tonight. Keep up the sloppy effort, undisciplined penalties and you'll see what Union Hockey was for the better part of the last 20 years.

Yes, I'm irritated.
                              Hey Chef, take a breath would you? No one from Union was happy about the outcome but I wasn't expecting a 34-0 season either. Merrimack is a quality opponent and they deserved the win.

First game of the season and we've regressed 20 years? Actually, I think you raise a point in a way about reasonable expectations for this program going forward. Let's face it, another Frozen Four berth this season though not impossible, has to be viewed in my opinion as a very longshot. Let's take it one step at a time and aim for home ice in playoffs, top 4 finish and a trip to AC, etc. Fans need to set realistic expectations because although we've come a long way, the challenges remain the same season after season for this program and one dreamlike season guarantees nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                                Didn't mention it was a salt shed. It does have character....alot like the old bus station in Albany.
                                . . . which is a twin sister to the old air port in Albany.

Comment

Working...
                                X