The Completely Unofficial Pre-Pre-Season Polls - 2012-2013 Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Completely Unofficial Pre-Pre-Season Polls - 2012-2013 Edition

The grill has a very powerful smell to it after a day-long smokefest of shortribs and babybacks, I'm running low on beer, my belly is still full, and there are a few conference-specific projection threads popping-up, so it must be time to launch the annual...

The Completely Unofficial Pre-Pre-Season Polls Thread!

"What's this all about?" "What do I have to do?", you might ask. It’s simple, just rank the pre-season top-10 (yes, 10!), and you will be scored on how well you picked 'em, in a method that is (as always) completely void of any statistical merit! No prizes awarded, other than pride.

Like prior years, the scores will be tallied once the offical USCHO poll comes-out, which is typically mid-October. Then, I’ll go through the same scoring exercise mid-season and at the end of the year as well.

So here we go...
    The Method to the Madness
    What is required of you is simple, just post your top 10 (again - yes, 10... I am 'old school'! You can do 15 if you wish, but only the top 10 will be used for scoring purposes), and the scoring is performed as follows:

Points For Your Pick
    Your pick positions are assigned a point value, called "Points for Your Pick" (PFYP).
    First Place Pick - 10pts
    Second Place Pick - 9pts
    Third Place Pick - 8pts
    Tenth Place Pick - 1pt

Position Points
    Once the Official USCHO Pre-Season Poll is announced, "Position Points" (PP) are calculated for each of your picks based upon the Official Poll Points (OPPts) the respective team received in the Official Poll. Each of your picks that appear in the Official Pre-Season Poll will receive Position Points according to the following:

(Points For Your Pick / 10) * Official Poll Points

And these will be added together to obtain a Position Points Total (PPT).

Accuracy Factor
    How well did you position your picks will also come into play, by determining an Accuracy Factory (AF). This is calculated for each of your picks by taking Your Pick Position (YPP) [1-10], and weighing it against the Official USCHO Pre-Season Poll Position (OPPos).

The value for OPPos is between 1 and the maximum number of positions in the poll. If a team in your picks fails to make the Official Poll (at any position), it is assigned a default OPPos of 33. The formula for calculating the Accuracy Factor for each of your picks is:

(1 / (1 + ABS(YPP - OPPos))) * 10

Your Total Score
    Your Total Score takes into account the Sum of your Accuracy Factors (AFT), and your Total Position Points (PPT) as follows:

(AFT / 100) * PPT

"It's just that easy".

A Few "Rules" (for lack of a better term):
    Ties, in either posted listings or the Official USCHO Polls, will be handled by assigning the respective positions based upon their as-listed positions in the post/Poll. The tied team listed on the "higher-side" of the post/Poll will have the higher ranking.

In the event of multiple posts (entries), the first chronological post will be used in scoring, and the subsequent post, well... ignored.

Start posting your overall DIII "top tens", and enjoy the pain that comes form those teams that under/over perform though the course of the year.

Cheers!!!

History...

2002-2003:

Pre-Season Winner = Purple_and_Gold10: 315.80
    Pre-Season “Boob” = NUHockeynut: 161.84

Mid-Season Winner = Bill-R-: 189.43
    Mid-Season “Boob” = CrosbyNU63: 68.14

Nostradamus Award = komey1: 168.02
    End-of-Season “Boob” = WillieC: 82.28

2003-2004:

Pre-Season Winner = dmoody: 664.45
    Pre-Season “Boob” = komey1: 356.05

Mid-Season Winner = oilers: 385.69
    Mis-Season “Boob” = ECACNEPUCK: 143.11

Nostradamus Award = oilers: 251.30
    End-of-Season “Boob” = ECACNEPUCK: 96.43

2004-2005:

Pre-Season Winner = CROSBYNU63: 463.44
    Pre-Season “Boob” = oilers: 295.89

Mid-Season Winner = PointersXRC: 317.21
    Mid-Season “Boob” = komey1: 153.07

Nostradamus Award = komey1: 541.31
    End-of-Season “Boob” = ECACNEPUCK: 248.11

2005-2010 = “The Dark Years...

2010-2011:

Pre-Season Winner = ThatGuy_11: 598.00
    Pre-Season “Boob” = NESCAC Fan: 251.40

Mid-Season Winner = ThatGuy_11: 275.40
    Mid-Season “Boob” = Pioneers#1: 162.60

Nostradamus Award = Irishdave: 543.49
    End-of-Season “Boob” = NESCAC Fan: 264.49

2011-2012:

Pre-Season Winner = collegehcky2: 1008.4
    Pre-Season “Boob” = AldenPartidge1819: 439.2

Mid-Season Winner = LakerEagleLover: 346.8
    Mid-Season “Boob” = aefwaf: 180.59

Nostradamus Award = PrezdeJohnson09: 487.69
    End-of-Season “Boob” = jerrynu26: 208.74
    Last edited by Transplanted Tiger Fan; 09-16-2012, 06:36 AM. Reason: Added History of Winners and "Boobs"
    Dave
    RIT - '90

The Completely Unofficial Pre-Pre-Season Polls - 2012-2013 Edition

For reference, and for what it is worth, here is the 2/20/12 poll from last year. I believe that there were a few polls published afterwards, but this one came at the end of the regular season... for most conferences:

1 Oswego 296
    2 Norwich 275
    3 Amherst 266
    4 Plattsburgh 232
    5 St. Norbert 215
    6 St. Thomas 201
    7 Adrian 162
    8 Castleton 141
    9 Elmira 127
    10 Milwaukee School of Eng. 114
    11 St. Scholastica 90
    12 Bowdoin 84
    13 Wisconsin-River Falls 50
    14 Gustavus Adolphus 45
    15 Utica 32

Others receiving votes: Neumann 21, Wentworth 16, Wisconsin-Eau Claire 12, Middlebury 7, Wisconsin-Stevens Point 7, Williams 4, Manhattanville 2, Plymouth State 1

And last year’s pre-season poll, published on 10/10/2011 (yeah, the tenth!! Caught me completely off-guard!):

1 St. Norbert 296
    2 Oswego 266
    3 Norwich 265
    4 Adrian 216
    5 Plattsburgh 214
    6 Elmira 178
    7 Castleton 154
    8 Bowdoin 144
    9 Wisconsin-Superior 103
    10 Hamline 97
    11 Neumann 86
    12 Geneseo 73
    13 Utica 56
    14 Milwaukee School of Eng. 54
    15 Curry 35

Others receiving votes: Williams 33, Gustavus Adolphus 20, Manhattanville 19, Middlebury 16, St. Thomas 9, Amherst 8, Hobart 8, Marian 7, Wisconsin-Stout 7, Fredonia 6, Wisconsin-Eau Claire 5, Hamilton 3, Salem State 2, Wentworth 2, Wisconsin-River Falls 2, Wesleyan 1

The Archives”:
    2010-2011 Season Thread
    2011-2012 Season Thread (Winners never announced!!... listed in post 1 of this year's thread)
    Dave
    RIT - '90

Comment

Entry

Either I keep getting older and more confused, or sorting teams is becoming increasingly difficult each year. I believe this has got to be one of the hardest years I have had in trying to come-up with some reasonable order based upon any kind of logic, so alternate methods had to be deployed.

Since I failed miserably last year by missing my own friggin’ deadline to submit an entry (yeah, that sucked), I might as well be the first one to offer-up a top ten this year! Critique if you wish, because I cannot explain it (remember... “alternate methods”???), but if you do choose to chime-in, at least have enough 'brass' to put-up your own entry!! In simple terms – put-up, or shut-up.

With that said... Game-on!!

1 Oswego
      2 St. Norbert
      3 Norwich
      4 Adrian
      5 Hobart
      6 Plattsburgh
      7 St. Thomas
      8 Elmira
      9 Plymouth State
      10 Amherst

Cheers!!!
      “TTF”
      Last edited by Transplanted Tiger Fan; 09-15-2012, 04:18 PM.
      Dave
      RIT - '90

Comment

Re: Entry

Originally posted by Transplanted Tiger Fan View Post
        Either I keep getting older and more confused, or sorting teams is becoming increasingly difficult each year. I believe this has got to be one of the hardest years I have had in trying to come-up with some reasonable order based upon any kind of logic, so alternate methods had to be deployed.

Since I failed miserably last year by missing my own friggin’ deadline to submit an entry (yeah, that sucked), I might as well be the first one to offer-up a top ten this year! Critique if you wish, because I cannot explain it (remember... “alternate methods”???), but if you do choose to chime-in, at least have enough 'brass' to put-up your own entry!! In simple terms – put-up, or shut-up.

With that said... Game-on!!

1 Oswego
        2 St. Norbert
        3 Norwich
        4 Adrian
        5 Hobart
        6 Plattsburgh
        7 St. Thomas
        8 Elmira
        9 Plymouth State
        10 Amherst

Cheers!!!
        “TTF”
        Are you still using the USCHO/MCHA Fanboy poll, or the more accurate poll that resides on a different site?
        2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
        2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
        2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
        2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Re: Entry

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
          Are you still using the USCHO/MCHA Fanboy poll, or the more accurate poll that resides on a different site?
          For the purpose of consistency, I plan on staying with the USCHO coaches/writers poll. However, I do have the option of scoring from multiple sources. All I have to do is add a few cells/sheets into the workbook, and let it "dump-and-chug". In fact, I have been using KRACH and RPI for scientific curiosity, but in doing so I have also been toying with the formulae due to the absence of "poll points" inherent to those statistical-based ranking systems. Is it right? Hell-no! This whole exercise is wrong, but "fun" none-the-less.
          Dave
          RIT - '90

Comment

Re: The Completely Unofficial Pre-Pre-Season Polls - 2012-2013 Edition

Last year's preseason poll nailed the national championship and 3/4 of the gang @ LP (well, that's not surprising, those 3 seem to be there all the time).

I see no reason for a change.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
              Last year's preseason poll nailed the national championship and 3/4 of the gang @ LP (well, that's not surprising, those 3 seem to be there all the time).

I see no reason for a change.
              I don't think I always agree with that statement. So many factors determine the end result. There are injuries, chemistry with new recruits, coaching, attitudes of players etc. One can only hope that their team finds it's way through it all and has that spark that in the end,gets them there. Just thinking.....

Comment

St n will be #1, after that the usual suspects, would like to see a new team or 2,but not replacing my Lakers

Comment

Here we go... new at this so take it easy on me!

1. St Norbert
                  2. Oswego
                  3. Norwich
                  4. Plattsburgh
                  5. Adrian
                  6. St Thomas
                  7. Elmira
                  8. Castleton
                  9. Hobart
                  10. Plymouth St
                  Sergei Fedorov, at the conclusion of his final season as a Red Wing.

"I just don't know what to think. I play in Colorado, they tell me they like me, and I get traded. I play in Calgary, and at the end of the season the GM tells me he likes me, and I get traded. I just hope my fiancee doesn't tell me she likes me."

Comment

My (probably totally off the mark) opinion:

1. St. Norbert
                    2. Norwich
                    3. Oswego
                    4. Plattsburgh
                    5. Amherst
                    6. Adrian
                    7. Elmira
                    8. MSOE
                    9. St. Thomas
                    10. Castleton
                    Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                    SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                    ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                    NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                    NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                    NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                    NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

I pulled these out of a hat.

1. St. Norbert
                      2. Oswego
                      3. Plattsburgh
                      4. Adrien
                      5. St. Thomas
                      6. Elmira
                      7. Amherst
                      8. Norwich
                      9. Castleton
                      10. Hobart
                      2009-2010 Last Person Standing winner
                      2009-2010 Interlock LPS winner

Comment

didnt want to start a new pink fluffy bunny thread but I am sure the boys r skating/dryland,anybody got anything yet??

Comment

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
                          didnt want to start a new pink fluffy bunny thread but I am sure the boys r skating/dryland,anybody got anything yet??
                          Canada ahead in series, 2-0.
                          Go 'Wick!

Comment

This sould do it;

1. Plattsburgh
                            2. Adrian
                            3. St. Norbert
                            4. St. Thomas
                            5. Oswego
                            6. Elmira
                            7. Castleton
                            8. Geneseo
                            9. Norwich
                            10. MSOE

Comment

No. SNC is #1 until further notice.
                              FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Working...
                              X