X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2012-2013 - The LaBahn Era Begins

Originally posted by Badger Booster View Post
    http://host.madison.com/sports/colle...9bb2963f4.html
    . Wonder where they will set up the band?
    I'm just hoping they are there, and I hope Phil is there too. That would make it perfect. I'm primed to be loud and borer-line obnoxious tonight.

LET'S Go RED!
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
      I'm primed to be loud and border-line obnoxious tonight.
      Hey, you're a Badger fan. We wouldn't expect anything less.
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
        It's just how we roll. Can't let the opponent get comfortable.

I'd be shocked if Phil wasn't there. As far as the band attending the game, nothing surprises me anymore with them. They should be there, but it's whether they make it a priority or not.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
          Sometimes I have to tell my 2 sons to tone it down a bit. We can be loud and obnoxious and still be respectful...until the ref screws up. Someday us 3 want to go to UMD or the rodents and loudly cheer UW on and sieve them in their own rink, but not this year.

I've never had the chance to sieve the goalie from practically right behind her/him.

Comment

Someday us 3 want to go to UMD or the rodents and loudly cheer UW on and sieve them in their own rink, but not this year.
            Good thing you didn't plan that for last weekend.
            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
              Or tonight, for that matter.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                I saw that one from a mile away. Give me an A for assist please.

The rink: The rink is a sweet building, I love how steep the bowl is. The ammentities are decent, it'd be nice to have exits and bathrooms on the north and south end of the rink (we were on the south end where neither are.) The seating is WAY too cramped. I'm 5-10 and our knees were practically touching the boards (we were in row 1). A couple times my shoulders hit the knees of the person behind me. If you are 6-3 or a long legged person it's not goingto be very comfy. The butt portion of the seats could be about 3" deeper as well. It sucks the UW defends the goal on the end where the seats are behind the goal for 2 periods (that must be dictected by the lockroom layout). One would have thought you'd want the opposing goalie on that end to get mercelesly taunted for 2 out of 3 periods (which we did for 1 period at least).

The game: The Beavers played very well, block a lot of shots, and I'd say the play was 50-50. The Beavers had a better 1st period, and UW slightly carried the play in the 2nd and 3rd. The UW goal allowed was UGLY. I don't understand why the UW player rammed Rigsby so hard behind the net, which led to the gimme goal. UW's gonna need time to develop these Fr. forwards/chemistry. The crowd sucked. Not a lot of energy. I know scoring goals helps get that, but the crowd needs to feed the team too, it's a 2 way street.

Comment

So, Wisco fans, can you recommend a few places for the UNH crowd to check out on Saturday? We were thinking of getting a meal and watching the football game on a big screen. I know it's Homecoming, and likely to be crazy, but any thoughts?
                  "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post
                    So, Wisco fans, can you recommend a few places for the UNH crowd to check out on Saturday? We were thinking of getting a meal and watching the football game on a big screen. I know it's Homecoming, and likely to be crazy, but any thoughts?
                    Not just Homecoming, but also Freakfest Halloween on State Street Saturday night. If it's your first trip to Madison, it's as good of a weekend as you can get.

There are several places all over town to watch the football game on a decent size screen. If you want to be near the action, Stadium Bar, Lucky's or the Sett (inside the new Union South) are good options.

Comment

Any other LaBahn critiques?

Comment

Due to some circumstances beyond my control, I didn't get to the opening game until after face-off and really didn't get a chance to fully scope the whole place out. I wasn't able to get to the Sunday which sounded a lot more exciting/entertaining than Friday.

Overall, I like LaBahn a lot, but not without a couple of issues. I could see a problem with the seats, but I didn't notice it as I am under 6' and definitely don't have long legs. As with Ridder, Labahn isn't really prepared concession and bathroom wise for a real sell-out. Probably not an issue with smaller crowds. Also, I'm sure it's all about logistics, but I'm disappointed that the opposing goalie is on the end where seating doesn't go all the way around. I did like the band placement and they are in prime heckling position. Unfortunately, wasn't much to heckle on Friday.

What I did like was how bright it was, a scoreboard with live video on it, standing room only space (not just a rail, but also space to put a drink or food) and great sightlines. I think the lobby area is really nice, but will definitely spend more time checking things out this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Badger Booster View Post
                          Due to some circumstances beyond my control, I didn't get to the opening game until after face-off and really didn't get a chance to fully scope the whole place out. I wasn't able to get to the Sunday which sounded a lot more exciting/entertaining than Friday.

Overall, I like LaBahn a lot, but not without a couple of issues. I could see a problem with the seats, but I didn't notice it as I am under 6' and definitely don't have long legs. As with Ridder, Labahn isn't really prepared concession and bathroom wise for a real sell-out. Probably not an issue with smaller crowds. Also, I'm sure it's all about logistics, but I'm disappointed that the opposing goalie is on the end where seating doesn't go all the way around. I did like the band placement and they are in prime heckling position. Unfortunately, wasn't much to heckle on Friday.

What I did like was how bright it was, a scoreboard with live video on it, standing room only space (not just a rail, but also space to put a drink or food) and great sightlines. I think the lobby area is really nice, but will definitely spend more time checking things out this weekend.
                          I was at the first game and came away rather underwhelmed. I'm sure it is a nice place to play hockey, etc., etc., but like others I found issues with the seating. Each marked seat was too narrow. As a result, the rather wide women in our row caused everyone to be smushed together. Each row also seems to be too close to its neighors. I'm 6'2" and either had to have my knees hitting the backs of the people in front of me or be kneed in the back/shoulders by those behind me. I was also disappointed by the 1 concession stand. I don't think it was enough for the large opening night crowd; maybe it will be for most games when the crowd is significantly smaller. I was hoping they would open one of the KC stands just inside the former gate B, but no luck. I was also disappointed not to be able to taunt the opposing goalie for 2 periods. Lastly, did anyone see any goal judges? I know they've done away with them (at least behind the goals) in the NHL for some time now but didn't realize that that had spread to college hockey as well.
                          Randy Schmidt should be / has been fired.
                          Exhibit A | Exhibit B

Help Cure MS
                          sigpic
                          Donate

Wisconsin Hockey: "When you say WISCONSIN, you've said it all!"
                          1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, 2006

Circle, circle, dot, dot, dot...

Comment

Originally posted by icebadger View Post
                            Lastly, did anyone see any goal judges? I know they've done away with them (at least behind the goals) in the NHL for some time now but didn't realize that that had spread to college hockey as well.
                            I heard that at least in Hockey East, goal judges are a thing of the past, and in the games UNH has played at home, there have been none, although dontcha know, in the VT game we had a goal reviewed. The issue was whether or not the whistle had blown before the puck crossed the line. That's a tough call in a silent video replay.

On Sunday in our rematch down at BC there were goal judges. I asked one of them (why he was there!), and he hadn't heard a thing about his position being eliminated. I think I would prefer the goal judges to remain seated behind the net - there are too many things that a silent video from one angle just can't tell you.
                            "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post
                              I heard that at least in Hockey East, goal judges are a thing of the past, and in the games UNH has played at home, there have been none, although dontcha know, in the VT game we had a goal reviewed. The issue was whether or not the whistle had blown before the puck crossed the line. That's a tough call in a silent video replay.

On Sunday in our rematch down at BC there were goal judges. I asked one of them (why he was there!), and he hadn't heard a thing about his position being eliminated. I think I would prefer the goal judges to remain seated behind the net - there are too many things that a silent video from one angle just can't tell you.

Still have goal judges at the Providence Games this season.

Comment

Games at Ridder still feature individuals in WCHA fleece sitting in booths behind the goals turning on red lights when they believe the puck has crossed the goal line.
                                Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Working...
                                X