Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Tennis...Anyone?

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
    I haven’t seen the whole incident. My understanding is that she was receiving coaching and her coach admitted as much. The ref penalized her for that and she should have moved on. Her behavior is completely out of line. It happened before the social media era, but about 10 years ago Serena threatened a lineswoman after she called a foot fault. She’s an all time great talent wise and it’s too bad she hasn’t kept her composure better in those situations.
    mac was loved for behaving that way..... just sayin'
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
      mac was loved for behaving that way..... just sayin'
      You cannot be serious.

Comment

I don’t like the way she throws fits, and I also get her frustration at being treated different. The constant drug testing that others aren’t getting, etc. but I’ve never liked her temper.
        I saw a post that shows the stark differences between how men and women are viewed. One NY paper called her a total meltdown and the same paper called a male baseball manager as “discussing” a call with an ump even though he was identical to her in stance, pose, and rage.
        For the record I don’t like the grunters, screamers to whiners. Tired of Rafa and his slower than molasses pace and his “I’m behind so I quit” act. Maybe that’s why I love Roger so much.

Edit- Ramos, the ump, was the same one Rafa blew up at last year and Rafa told himbed never ump his match ever again. Funny how he didn’t blow up at Rafa like he did Serena.
        Last edited by Deutsche Gopher Fan; 09-09-2018, 08:48 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
          I don’t like the way she throws fits, and I also get her frustration at being treated different. The constant drug testing that others aren’t getting, etc. but I’ve never liked her temper.
          I saw a post that shows the stark differences between how men and women are viewed. One NY paper called her a total meltdown and the same paper called a male baseball manager as “discussing” a call with an ump even though he was identical to her in stance, pose, and rage.
          For the record I don’t like the grunters, screamers to whiners. Tired of Rafa and his slower than molasses pace and his “I’m behind so I quit” act. Maybe that’s why I love Roger so much.

Edit- Ramos, the ump, was the same one Rafa blew up at last year and Rafa told himbed never ump his match ever again. Funny how he didn’t blow up at Rafa like he did Serena.
          It’s incredibly arrogant for her to think she can do whatever she wants and then blame it on sexism. I read today the same umpire coded Djoker earlier this year for a tantrum and has a reputation as a no nonsense guy. I don’t think you can do anything worse than call into question a referees integrity too. In a US Open final when everyone is watching there is a better chance for things being called tighter as well.
          Originally posted by BobbyBrady
          Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post
            You cannot be serious.
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post

Watched the video. Now, I am not well versed in Tennis, but the coaching call seemed really ticky-tacky. The racket smash? Sure. The “verbal abuse”? LOL, as a soccer referee I’d kill to receive “verbal abuse” like that. I can absolutely see Serena’s point about sexism because even I’ve seen worse go unpunished on the Men’s side.
              U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
              Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
              I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
              But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
              Originally posted by Doyle Woody
              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Joker in straight sets over Del Potro.
                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                  Watched the video. Now, I am not well versed in Tennis, but the coaching call seemed really ticky-tacky. The racket smash? Sure. The “verbal abuse”? LOL, as a soccer referee I’d kill to receive “verbal abuse” like that. I can absolutely see Serena’s point about sexism because even I’ve seen worse go unpunished on the Men’s side.
                  Her coach was interviewed between match and trophy presentation. He freely admitted he was coaching her at the time. He basically said "I do it on every play, so does every one else"
                  "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
                  Groucho Marx
                  "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
                  Ron White
                  "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
                  Milo Bloom

Comment

I'd have been more sympathetic to Serena's argument until her coach admitted he was coaching from the stands.

https://www.google.com/search?q=coac...hrome&ie=UTF-8

PS - Dumbest rule in tennis. So what if the coach communicates from the stands. You still must hit the ball.
                    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

It’s incredibly arrogant for her to think she can do whatever she wants and then blame it on sexism. I read today the same umpire coded Djoker earlier this year for a tantrum and has a reputation as a no nonsense guy. I don’t think you can do anything worse than call into question a referees integrity too. In a US Open final when everyone is watching there is a better chance for things being called tighter as well.
                      It's incredibly hypocritical to see that Serena's actions were very much not as bad as men who have berated umpires and have used far, far worse language, none of which lost a game.

Many men have questioned ref's integrity, too. They didn't loose anything.

THAT is the issue.

The coaching thing is stupid- they all admit to coaching, and it's a dumb rule. Insane to penalize the player for their coach's actions. Fine the coach.

Comment

If it is a common practice that is seldom penalized, the (Association?) should warn the players before a major tournament if they intend to enforce the rule.

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                          Joker in straight sets over Del Potro.
                          So Joker's chasing Nadal who's chasing Federer. Its astounding that the 3 winningest men's grand slam players of all time all play against each other in the same era. Would love to see Joker vs Nadal in the French next year.
                          Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post
                            If it is a common practice that is seldom penalized, the (Association?) should warn the players before a major tournament if they intend to enforce the rule.
                            How is it any different than getting a speeding ticket? If you speed you run the risk of a ticket and saying people do it all the time isn’t really a defense. I think in a grand slam final things are more tightly enforced too.

The vast majority of tennis doesn’t really get much attention, that is why in a random tournament players can get away with berating the umpire.
                            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

How is it any different than getting a speeding ticket? If you speed you run the risk of a ticket and saying people do it all the time isn’t really a defense.
                              That is not at all the point I made. I'm not making a selective enforcement argument. Just that if the officials are going to enforce a rule that is regularly violated without penalty and they want to start enforcing, the Association or the umpires association should communicate that. It's just wise policy and good business.

Comment

How is it any different than getting a speeding ticket? If you speed you run the risk of a ticket and saying people do it all the time isn’t really a defense. I think in a grand slam final things are more tightly enforced too.

The vast majority of tennis doesn’t really get much attention, that is why in a random tournament players can get away with berating the umpire.
                                Why should a grand slam be any different than any other event? If it's a rule, it's a rule.

If the rule is unenforced for 99% of a tournament, and then all of a sudden, it's important- that's a problem. Rules are rules and should be enforced, sure, but they also need to be even and consistent to mean anything- otherwise, they are arbitrary ways to put yourself in a match that you are overseeing.

Same goes for the berating the umpire- the reactions should be consistent and even- regardless. If it's not- and "you are a thief" is somehow worse than "you are an (expletive)" that's a big problem, worse if that enforcement is biased to who someone is.

Comment

Working...
                                X