Tennis...Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
    I have a feeling Nadal will hang around until he can no longer compete at the French Open. He has only lost 2 matches at Roland Garros, and didn't drop a set in 2017. Obviously, a time will come when he just doesn't have it (or, as you mentioned, injuries finally take their toll), but Nadal is only 31. I wouldn't be surprised if Rafa plays another 5-6 years, wins another 3-4 French Opens, and maybe snags another major or 2 to eclipse Roger's 19.
    A lot of that probably depends on Shapovalov and Zverev. If they start dominating it will be tough for Rafa. It's very impressive he has hung on as long as he has given all his injuries. I wonder if there is any significance to his Uncle Toni stepping down from coaching him?
    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Re: Tennis...Anyone?

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
      A lot of that probably depends on Shapovalov and Zverev. If they start dominating it will be tough for Rafa. It's very impressive he has hung on as long as he has given all his injuries. I wonder if there is any significance to his Uncle Toni stepping down from coaching him?
      I'm not sure on Uncle Toni, but Shapovalov and Zverev have a long way to go on the clay to challenge Nadal. Barring injury (which as we've both noted, is a big concern for Nadal), I would imagine that Nadal wins at least 1-2 more French Opens.

If Nadal gets to 19 (assuming that ties Federer), it will be very interesting to see how people view the comparison between Nadal and Federer.
      North Dakota
      National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

• Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
        I'm not sure on Uncle Toni, but Shapovalov and Zverev have a long way to go on the clay to challenge Nadal. Barring injury (which as we've both noted, is a big concern for Nadal), I would imagine that Nadal wins at least 1-2 more French Opens.

If Nadal gets to 19 (assuming that ties Federer), it will be very interesting to see how people view the comparison between Nadal and Federer.
        Well Zverev won a Masters 1000 event on clay this year, so he must be somewhat decent on it.

I've got a couple questions on Uncle Toni stepping down. Is it a sign he doesn't think Rafa has much left and what is the effect on Rafa? It will be interesting to see what happen without him.

I don't think there is any question Rafa is the greatest clay court player ever. Fed has him by quite a distance overall though. Nadal would need to win four or five more outside Paris for it to be any sort of argument.

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post

A comparison I found kinda surprising was Nadal leads head-to-head matchups 23-14.
          A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

Well Zverev won a Masters 1000 event on clay this year, so he must be somewhat decent on it.
            Decent for sure...but, as I said, he has a long way to go to challenge Rafa on clay. Zverev's certainly on an upward trajectory, so that gap may close sooner than I may think. However, as it stands, Rafa really doesn't have much of a challenger at Roland Garros.

Originally posted by Drew S.
            I don't think there is any question Rafa is the greatest clay court player ever. Fed has him by quite a distance overall though. Nadal would need to win four or five more outside Paris for it to be any sort of argument.
            I'm not so sure about that. Rafa has a 6-3 heads up record against Federer in finals (including wins on each surface). Nadal is 9-3 against Roger in Grand Slams, and leads the overall series 23-14. If Rafa gets another Australia Open, he would have won the Grand Slam twice. Rafa has a better winning percentage in Grand Slams than Federer as well. It's really an interesting comparison, and I don't think there is really a wrong answer either way.
            North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
              A comparison I found kinda surprising was Nadal leads head-to-head matchups 23-14.
              Exactly. Not only that, but they are almost even outside of clay (Roger leads 12-10 overall). As I said, it's a very interesting comparison, and if Nadal can go on to match Roger in Grand Slams, he could very well be viewed historically as the superior player.
              North Dakota

Comment

I'm not so sure about that. Rafa has a 6-3 heads up record against Federer in finals (including wins on each surface). Nadal is 9-3 against Roger in Grand Slams, and leads the overall series 23-14. If Rafa gets another Australia Open, he would have won the Grand Slam twice. Rafa has a better winning percentage in Grand Slams than Federer as well. It's really an interesting comparison, and I don't think there is really a wrong answer either way.
                I'm not a huge fan of the head-to-head comparison for a couple reasons. First, there's a fairly significant five-year age gap. Nadal was playing Federer at Rafa's peak more than Fed was playing Nadal at Roger's peak. Second, there are a lot of years in there where Federer was making quarters/semis in majors and Nadal didn't even play in the tournament, which has to count for something(or a lot, in my opinion). Especially if some day we get further confirmation on the persistent rumors that some of those "injuries" were really double-secret probations.

Rafa at his most roided out maybe was the most dominant player, but in terms of the best career, it's Federer by a long shot.
                Originally posted by dicaslover
                Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                  I'm not a huge fan of the head-to-head comparison for a couple reasons. First, there's a fairly significant five-year age gap. Nadal was playing Federer at Rafa's peak more than Fed was playing Nadal at Roger's peak. Second, there are a lot of years in there where Federer was making quarters/semis in majors and Nadal didn't even play in the tournament, which has to count for something(or a lot, in my opinion). Especially if some day we get further confirmation on the persistent rumors that some of those "injuries" were really double-secret probations.

Rafa at his most roided out maybe was the most dominant player, but in terms of the best career, it's Federer by a long shot.
                  I was going to post same thing on age difference. Another thing to point out is that Djoker actually leads Nadal 26-24.

Are there any sort of legitimate rumors out there? I've always suspected it personally, but had never read much from anyone else. They're likely all doing something.

The most amazing part about Fed is his consistency. At one point he made like 30 straight semis. To have that level of consistency is crazy.

Comment

Another thing to point out is that Djoker actually leads Nadal 26-24.
                    FWIW, Djoker is 3-4 against Nadal in Grand Slam finals...he's 3-1 against Federer. Djoker also leads the overall matchup with Federer 23-22 (and 9-6 in Grand Slams).

As for the age difference, that definitely is key. Roger was winning a bunch of slams in his prime without having to face generational greats in their primes. Roger won 10 of his 19 slams before Rafa or Djoker turned 21.
                    North Dakota

Comment

FWIW, Djoker is 3-4 against Nadal in Grand Slam finals...he's 3-1 against Federer. Djoker also leads the overall matchup with Federer 23-22 (and 9-6 in Grand Slams).

As for the age difference, that definitely is key. Roger was winning a bunch of slams in his prime without having to face generational greats in their primes. Roger won 10 of his 19 slams before Rafa or Djoker turned 21.
                      I think you and many others underrate Safin, Hewitt, and Roddick. You can only have so many generational greats at one time too.

Comment

I think you and many others underrate Safin, Hewitt, and Roddick. You can only have so many generational greats at one time too.
                        Certainly. That is what makes Nadal's 15 grand slams so impressive. He's done it while there have been 1-2 generational greats playing at the same time.
                        North Dakota

Comment

• Sloane Stephens won easily today.
                          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                          Patreon for exclusive writing content
                          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                            Sloane Stephens won easily today.
                            I am so, so, so happy for her! She genuinely seems lovely. For awhile it seemed like she didn't really have the passion for the game you need to compete at the highest level, but she has been great this summer coming back from injury. I feel for Keys that she was injured and wasn't able to give her best. It was always going to be tough for her after her incredible performance Thursday.

Comment

Certainly. That is what makes Nadal's 15 grand slams so impressive. He's done it while there have been 1-2 generational greats playing at the same time.
                              Sampras had stiffer competition imho.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                                Sampras had stiffer competition imho.
                                I'd strongly disagree with this. The guys outside the top 5 are much stronger than they were in sampras' day. All the players take every facet of their game so much more serious now too. If you like at the last 10 years there hasn't been one surprising grand slam winner.

Comment

Working...
                                X