Tennis...Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Tennis...Anyone?

Sascha Zverev is gone. He lost to Borna Coric in four tough sets. It looks like either Isner or Querry has a decent chance to reach the final.
    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
      no doubt in my mind Tiafoe is next American [male] to win a grand slam. I'm super impressed with him, and not just because of last night.
      While Querrey has come pretty close, he hasn't quite made it. Tiafoe's youth is a big asset, the Big Four will be waning while Tiafoe is improving; he needed some mental toughness that only comes with experience.

it will also be interesting to see which American female wins next, assuming Serena will not come back from her maternity leave. Madison Keys maybe?
      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
        While Querrey has come pretty close, he hasn't quite made it. Tiafoe's youth is a big asset, the Big Four will be waning while Tiafoe is improving; he needed some mental toughness that only comes with experience.

it will also be interesting to see which American female wins next, assuming Serena will not come back from her maternity leave. Madison Keys maybe?
        For me, Zverev was the heavy favorite in the tournament. With him gone I think Querry now has a pretty good chance. I reckon it will be him and Dimitrov in the final. I don't think either Fed or Nadal makes the semis. They both look out of form to me, and have since Wimby.

I don't watch the women's game as much, but would put my money on Coco if someone held a gun to my head. I don't think Keys has the consistency to win seven straight matches. I definitely think it will be one of the bigger girls who wins next. It's too hard for the girls who are say 5'7" and smaller.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
          For me, Zverev was the heavy favorite in the tournament. With him gone I think Querry now has a pretty good chance. I reckon it will be him and Dimitrov in the final. I don't think either Fed or Nadal makes the semis. They both look out of form to me, and have since Wimby.

I don't watch the women's game as much, but would put my money on Coco if someone held a gun to my head. I don't think Keys has the consistency to win seven straight matches. I definitely think it will be one of the bigger girls who wins next. It's too hard for the girls who are say 5'7" and smaller.
          Yikes. That wasn't a very good prediction. Three of the four finalists from Cinci and Montreal are now gone.

Comment

It looks like either Isner or Querry has a decent chance to reach the final.
            Cilic is out now too.

Too bad for US men's hopes; Querrey and Isner, if both keep winning, would play each other in the quarterfinals. Their half of the draw is really wide open now; we are going to see a first-time Grand Slam finalist for sure.

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

• Del Potro with an epic comeback win today
              Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
              Patreon for exclusive writing content
              Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                Del Potro with an epic comeback win today
                That was an exciting match to watch. And, a not bad player to look at.
                Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                7 B1G
                7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                  That was an exciting match to watch. And, a not bad player to look at.
                  Paul Ryan's face with Barack Obama's ears. No thanks.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

So far, three US women in semi-finals, with one slot left to be decided.

Comment

So far, three US women in semi-finals, with one slot left to be decided.
                      I only saw half of the second set, but Coco was brilliant today.

It's too bad Querry lost last night. As anyone who has played much tennis can tell you, if you play out of your mind one day the next time out you're probably going to have a clunker. That is exactly what happened to him.

Comment

Dammit roger

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                          Dammit roger
                          Completely blew it in that tiebuster. To be honest, he just hasn't looked good all summer. There have been stretches here and there he has been decent, but for the most part has been pretty ordinary. He was fortunate to get such easy draws in Montreal and NY.

The end is going to come quick for the big four. I'm not sure Murray will ever come back. I can't imagine Fed plays for more than another year. Rafa and Djoker might hang around a little longer depending on injuries.

Comment

Completely blew it in that tiebuster. To be honest, he just hasn't looked good all summer. There have been stretches here and there he has been decent, but for the most part has been pretty ordinary. He was fortunate to get such easy draws in Montreal and NY.

The end is going to come quick for the big four. I'm not sure Murray will ever come back. I can't imagine Fed plays for more than another year. Rafa and Djoker might hang around a little longer depending on injuries.
                            I have a feeling Nadal will hang around until he can no longer compete at the French Open. He has only lost 2 matches at Roland Garros, and didn't drop a set in 2017. Obviously, a time will come when he just doesn't have it (or, as you mentioned, injuries finally take their toll), but Nadal is only 31. I wouldn't be surprised if Rafa plays another 5-6 years, wins another 3-4 French Opens, and maybe snags another major or 2 to eclipse Roger's 19.
                            North Dakota
                            National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

[I] would put my money on Coco [to be next US woman other than Serena to win a major] if someone held a gun to my head. I don't think Keys has the consistency to win seven straight matches. I definitely think it will be one of the bigger girls who wins next. It's too hard for the girls who are say 5'7" and smaller.
                              Either Coco or Keys will be in the Final now.

Comment

Either Coco or Keys will be in the Final now.
                                A woodshed beatdowns last night from Keys. It will be interesting to see if what happened to Querry happens to her. Whenever you play a match like that it's hard to follow it up. There have been so many random grand slam winners on the women's side in the last five years it's about time an American got one.

Comment

Working...
                                X