Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI Off-Season Thread 2012 Part II: (Insert Title Here)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RPI Off-Season Thread 2012 Part II: (Insert Title Here)

Originally posted by redhead18 View Post
    Just a random thought not related to RPI but I wonder what it would take for Penn to start their varsity program up again... They have an on-campus facility already, with a capacity right inline with the other Ivy rinks. It seems the popularity of hockey in PA has been growing in recent years and now with Penn St. being added to the varsity ranks next season along with a new college tournament at the Consol Energy Center in Pittsburgh. I think it would be neat to see a program added in the Philadelphia area.
    The Pittsburgh tournament idea is not really new, as RMU has been having a showcase game (typically with Ohio State) at Pittsburgh's arena for the past few years. In addition, there has been the RMU Hockey Showcase which was their tournament they would hold around that time. It's just that the two events have been combined so the event is held at Consol.

Comment

Just a random thought not related to RPI but I wonder what it would take for Penn to start their varsity program up again... They have an on-campus facility already, with a capacity right inline with the other Ivy rinks. It seems the popularity of hockey in PA has been growing in recent years and now with Penn St. being added to the varsity ranks... I think it would be neat to see a program added in the Philadelphia area.
      Jim Salfi and Bob Crocker have time on their hands... I believe thet're sitting by their phones right now.
      Here we come!

Comment

Just a random thought not related to RPI but I wonder what it would take for Penn to start their varsity program up again... They have an on-campus facility already, with a capacity right inline with the other Ivy rinks. It seems the popularity of hockey in PA has been growing in recent years and now with Penn St. being added to the varsity ranks next season along with a new college tournament at the Consol Energy Center in Pittsburgh. I think it would be neat to see a program added in the Philadelphia area.
        The last Penn coach, Bob Finke, told athletic director Andy Geiger that if the program was discontinued, it could never be brought back successfully. Anyone trying to recruit players for a revived Penn team would face an insurmountable handicap, since opposing coaches would simply be able to tell recruits, "Penn? You know they dropped hockey once. How do you know they won't drop it again?"

That was more than 30 years ago. As far as I know, there have been no thoughts of bringing varsity hockey back to the U of P.

Can anyone think of any schools that dropped a Division I program and then revived it successfully?

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
          The last Penn coach, Bob Finke, told athletic director Andy Geiger that if the program was discontinued, it could never be brought back successfully. Anyone trying to recruit players for a revived Penn team would face an insurmountable handicap, since opposing coaches would simply be able to tell recruits, "Penn? You know they dropped hockey once. How do you know they won't drop it again?"

That was more than 30 years ago. As far as I know, there have been no thoughts of bringing varsity hockey back to the U of P.

Can anyone think of any schools that dropped a Division I program and then revived it successfully?
          Notre Dame after one year. No team in 83-84.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Today is 18 May 2012. There are 141 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 6 October for the start of next season.

That is the day that an exhibition game is supposedly scheduled.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
              Notre Dame after one year. No team in 83-84.
              Only a school like Notre Dame could get away with something like that. What could change their mind in just one season?
              Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
              Benjamin Franklin
              The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
              Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                The Pittsburgh tournament idea is not really new, as RMU has been having a showcase game (typically with Ohio State) at Pittsburgh's arena for the past few years. In addition, there has been the RMU Hockey Showcase which was their tournament they would hold around that time. It's just that the two events have been combined so the event is held at Consol.
                Im assuming the event will become more popular now that PSU is on board and will also be getting help from the Pens with marketing, etc... especially if they'll be bringing in big named schools like OSU, Miami and BC in the near future.

Speaking of BC, I went back and read the blog that mentioned the possibility of BC playing RPI at MSG during the 2013-14 season. I didnt realize that idea was based on Hockey East having only 20 league games, so if UConn does join HEA that season, which I dont see why they couldnt, they would have 22 league games and im not sure if there would be enough room on their schedule for the MSG game. The blog also mentioned the possibility of the NHL Winter Classic being held at Yankee Stadium in next few years, I think it would be great if RPI found some way to play a game there, either a ECAC game like the Harvard/Union game last season at Fenway or a non-conference game. Who would possibly be a good opponent for RPI at Yankee Stadium?

Comment

Im assuming the event will become more popular now that PSU is on board and will also be getting help from the Pens with marketing, etc... especially if they'll be bringing in big named schools like OSU, Miami and BC in the near future.

Speaking of BC, I went back and read the blog that mentioned the possibility of BC playing RPI at MSG during the 2013-14 season. I didnt realize that idea was based on Hockey East having only 20 league games, so if UConn does join HEA that season, which I dont see why they couldnt, they would have 22 league games and im not sure if there would be enough room on their schedule for the MSG game. The blog also mentioned the possibility of the NHL Winter Classic being held at Yankee Stadium in next few years, I think it would be great if RPI found some way to play a game there, either a ECAC game like the Harvard/Union game last season at Fenway or a non-conference game. Who would possibly be a good opponent for RPI at Yankee Stadium?
                  Why would BC not have enough room? They'd have 12 NC games (well, 10 plus the Beanpot).

Comment

Why would BC not have enough room? They'd have 12 NC games (well, 10 plus the Beanpot).
                    They'll have 4 games home against Minnesota and Michigan, 4 games on the road against North Dakota and Denver and 2 games for the Beanpot for a total of 10 games. So I guess if they dont schedule a christmas tournament then they will have enough games to play at MSG, I know they are interested in playing in the new Pittsburgh tourny, whether or not thats in 2013-14 or a season or two down the road I dont know.

Comment

Theres an article in the Brandon Sun about Joel Malchuks time at RPI, unfortunately you need to purchase an online subscription to view the article.

Heres a link if anyone is interested, I believe its 9 bucks:

http://www.brandonsun.com/sports/loc...735.html?thx=y

Comment

Wow , How did you find that redhead18 This may work , i hope .

Comment

Originally posted by Interested View Post
                          Wow , How did you find that redhead18 This may work , i hope .

It will not... unless you are willing to share a user/pass (and I highly discourage).

Comment

It will not... unless you are willing to share a user/pass (and I highly discourage).
                            Thank you FlagDuDe , yes i thought it may work but it didn't , sorry . Have a great summer everyone !

Comment

Today is 19 May 2012. There are 140 days (20 weeks) until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 6 October for the start of next season.

That is the day that an exhibition game is supposedly scheduled.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

The blog also mentioned the possibility of the NHL Winter Classic being held at Yankee Stadium in next few years, I think it would be great if RPI found some way to play a game there, either a ECAC game like the Harvard/Union game last season at Fenway or a non-conference game.
                                Did anyone ever figure out how RPI got scooped on the Fenway game. There are plenty more RPI alums here, and it felt like we were caught napping on that one...
                                Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

Working...
                                X