Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Atlantic Hockey Future

Originally posted by schiegs View Post
    While I understand the economics of such an offer, I wonder about its sustainability. That sounds very expensive in the long run, unless UAH has some deeper pockets than most. (Although compared to most AHA programs, amything of substance seems deep.)
    Sounds to me it's more like UAH doesn't have much of a choice, and a slightly increased minimum budget is a fair price to pay to keep the team in play. I don't think UAH would really offer it, desperate as they are for a league affiliation, without knowing the money's there.

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
    The CCHA was offered $70k/yr to the league office for distribution as it saw fit. I think that's the high end of the range of what we'd offer.

GFM
    That's, what, 5K per game (or, rather, 10K per 2-game trip)? Sounds like that'd cover a goodly chunk of any team's travel budget (or most of the expenses in traveling to Huntsville).
    UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by kingdobbs View Post
      That's, what, 5K per game (or, rather, 10K per 2-game trip)? Sounds like that'd cover a goodly chunk of any team's travel budget (or most of the expenses in traveling to Huntsville).
      Yes, it would've been roughly $10k/trip in the CCHA's format. That said, the league could have disbursed it differently: less to Notre Dame and Bowling Green, more to the UP schools, none to Fairbanks. Of course, that didn't happen. Thanks, Terry.

GFM
      Geof F. Morris
      UAH BSE MAE 2002
      UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
        The CCHA was offered $70k/yr to the league office for distribution as it saw fit. I think that's the high end of the range of what we'd offer.

GFM
        If I'm not mistaken, AFA does this in AH but to a lesser degree?
        Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
          If I'm not mistaken, AFA does this in AH but to a lesser degree?
          I remember there was some special arrangement with Air Force. I assume it is still in place in some form or other.

Comment

UConn is getting the invite to Hockey East but apparently not until 2014-15. Reason is to get Freitas up to minimum standards and also to give the AHA time to come up with a replacement. At least that is what they are saying.

Comment

Who would be on the table for a replacement in AHA? I'm assuming that most of the low-budget teams would fight against UAH. Would they hold out for an upstart? Or be content at 11?
              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

"Anchors Aweigh, my boys. Anchors Aweigh!!!"
                Bentley University Hockey
                On-campus arena: Build it, and they will come...

Comment

Originally posted by schiegs View Post
                  "Anchors Aweigh, my boys. Anchors Aweigh!!!"

LSSU?

*****http://himg.uscho.com/images/logos/lssu.gif******
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                    LSSU?

*****http://himg.uscho.com/images/logos/lssu.gif******
                    If LSSU is looking to move from the new WCHA look for the AHA4 (M'hurst, RoMo, Canisius and Niagara) to once again consider forging a new conference talking to Ferris and Bowling Green as well. If they could have found a seventh school the last time a new CCHA would have lived on. Then RIT will have to decide to stay in the AHA or move west.

Comment

• Originally posted by THEMICK View Post
                      If LSSU is looking to move from the new WCHA look for the AHA4 (M'hurst, RoMo, Canisius and Niagara) to once again consider forging a new conference talking to Ferris and Bowling Green as well. If they could have found a seventh school the last time a new CCHA would have lived on. Then RIT will have to decide to stay in the AHA or move west.
                      Wrong anchor

Comment

Navy can join Atlantic Hockey whenever they want to irregardless of the total number of teams. If Navy wanted in they would get in.

In terms of other teams. I think if any programs where to start up to full D-1 I'd expect it to be URI. They would fit nicely for now and have the potential to be persuaded. Besides that you have a pick of pretty much every D-1 team in the Northeast who only has a club team but might be willing to give no scholarship varsity hockey a try. Which schools have on campus rinks?

Comment

Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
                          UConn is getting the invite to Hockey East but apparently not until 2014-15. Reason is to get Freitas up to minimum standards and also to give the AHA time to come up with a replacement. At least that is what they are saying.
                          The real reason is probably to see if UConn is really going to put in the resources required to try to become competitive in HE. I seriously doubt that HE gives to ****s about the AHA or them being able to get a replacement.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                          Who would be on the table for a replacement in AHA? I'm assuming that most of the low-budget teams would fight against UAH. Would they hold out for an upstart? Or be content at 11?
                          My guess is that AHA stays at 11. It's not like scheduling/traveling is good to begin with so having an odd number of teams in not a big deal. I think that UAH coming into the AHA would be a very last resort and I think that the feeling within the AHA is they really don't want them. As for new programs, I really don't see, outside of the Naval Academy, any college starting up a varsity team at this time. The colleges that could afford to probably don't want to be in the AHA (large colleges) and the smaller colleges which would more fit the AHA profile probably can't afford to in this economic climate. In fact I think it is more likely that an AHA college drops hockey more than a new college adds hockey. But that is just a guess with no knowledge to back it up.
                          Last edited by MattS; 06-21-2012, 07:50 AM.
                          My Four Favorite teams:
                          RIT and anyone who is beating Canisius
                          Cornell and anyone who is beating Harvard

If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

I am not afraid of terrorism, and I want the Government to stop being afraid on my behalf. I understand that it will not be possible to stop all terrorist acts. I am not afraid!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MattS View Post
                            The real reason is probably to see if UConn is really going to put in the resources required to try to become competitive in HE. I seriously doubt that HE gives to ****s about the AHA or them being able to get a replacement.

My guess is that AHA stays at 11. It's not like scheduling/traveling is good to begin with so having an odd number of teams in not a big deal. I think that UAH coming into the AHA would be a very last resort and I think that the feeling within the AHA is they really don't want them. As for new programs, I really don't see, outside of the Naval Academy, any college starting up a varsity team at this time. The colleges that could afford to probably don't want to be in the AHA (large colleges) and the smaller colleges which would more fit the AHA profile probably can't afford to in this economic climate. In fact I think it is more likely that an AHA college drops hockey more than a new college adds hockey. But that is just a guess with no knowledge to back it up.
                            I really doubt the Hockey East cares more about anything other than being able to dip into the NY/CT media market. And now UConn gives them that since the Huskies have a reach over the state of Connecticut. Realistically, they can't make this about success.. This team hasn't had any short of when they made the AHA Final Four by benefitting from an extremely weird playoff format.

This is a move driven by pure money, and UConn, for years, has been the petulant little brother to Boston College and UMass. It used to be that way in basketball when UMass had Lou Roe, Camby, and Travieso. It's been that way in football when BC jumped to the ACC right before UConn went to the Big East, followed up by, more recently, UConn practically begging out of the Big East to get into the ACC (but blocked by Gene DeFillippo). And, in hockey, this was their only opportunity.

The AHA will survive. Most of the schools are getting to a place where they're more financially secure. But anyone who claims that UConn will be competitive for the next few years -- it'll take a miracle since they finished in the lower half of the AHA to begin with the last two years, and they're headed for a conference that put 4 teams into a 16-team tournament last year with a 5th right outside (Merrimack probably should've made it, too).

One last point... am I bitter? Maybe. But I'm also of the belief that the rest of the hockey world only wants the UConn brand. They don't want a good team. Otherwise, Quinnipiac or RIT would've been better options.
                            Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Originally posted by MattS View Post
                              For what it's worth, the information given in the Stafford consulting report a few months ago said that UConn was planning to phase in scholarships over three years, six a year, starting with the 2012-13 season. Their first year at 18 scholarships will be 2014-15.
                              UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

St. Anselm to Atlantic Hockey in 2014 New Athletic Director will lead the way!

Comment

Working...
                                X