Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Atlantic Hockey Future

Originally posted by schiegs View Post
    I'd like to be the first to recommend that Coast Guard join the conference as well.
    Need to build a barn. Conn College's is not big enough although it would do as an interim.

Comment

I know the football trophy is the Commander in Chief's Trophy, but does anyone know if the academies have sport-specific trophies in other sports? A hockey-specific trophy if Navy were to go varsity would be fun to follow.

I'd like to be the first to recommend that Coast Guard join the conference as well.
      I believe Coast Guard is D-III. At least that was the case 6 years ago when we had a regular football game with them.

Comment

I've heard several teams floated out over the past couple of months, dating back to the regular season:

1) Navy is obviously the popular choice and has been for a while. They honestly should have a team within 5 years.

2) Syracuse. Syracuse is already a member of the CHA for women's hockey, and adding men's would give them the complement to the "female version of the AHA." They're also geographically a smart fit for the AHA with its upstate New York atmosphere.

3) Rhode Island is another team that's been floated. They're currently at club status, and there's been a push to get them incorporated for the Ocean State Cup. Bryant's another school that's been floated because of rivalries with PC and Brown in OOC.
        Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
          I've heard several teams floated out over the past couple of months, dating back to the regular season:

1) Navy is obviously the popular choice and has been for a while. They honestly should have a team within 5 years.

2) Syracuse. Syracuse is already a member of the CHA for women's hockey, and adding men's would give them the complement to the "female version of the AHA." They're also geographically a smart fit for the AHA with its upstate New York atmosphere.

3) Rhode Island is another team that's been floated. They're currently at club status, and there's been a push to get them incorporated for the Ocean State Cup. Bryant's another school that's been floated because of rivalries with PC and Brown in OOC.
          Hmmm.... Bryant in a league with Robert Morris and Sacred Heart. Quinnipiac already has hockey. Why don't we just con... I mean talk... Long Island, St. Francis, PA and Monmouth into it, we could have the Northeast Conference Hockey League to rival the B1G

Or FDU... or Mount St. Mary's...
          Friends don't let friends go to PITT.

Save on GAS... BAN NASCAR

Comment

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post

I wouldn't foresee SU or URI joining Atlantic Hockey. If anything, they would try to join either Hockey East (a little tough now that they're up to 12) or the NCHC. Sure, SU is in the CHA, but so is Penn State, mainly because the Big 10 will only have four women's teams (MN, WI, and tOSU being the others).

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
              I wouldn't foresee SU or URI joining Atlantic Hockey. If anything, they would try to join either Hockey East (a little tough now that they're up to 12) or the NCHC. Sure, SU is in the CHA, but so is Penn State, mainly because the Big 10 will only have four women's teams (MN, WI, and tOSU being the others).
              Geographically, the NCHC does not make sense for SU. Also, those schools don't have any meaning for them. There aren't any major players in that conference in sports other than hockey.
              2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
              2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
              2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
              2010 Frozen Four participant
              2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                Geographically, the NCHC does not make sense for SU. Also, those schools don't have any meaning for them. There aren't any major players in that conference in sports other than hockey.
                Miami doesn't fit geographically into the NCHC either. =) It ain't called "The National" for nothing. =)

I tend to agree that Syracuse wouldn't want to join a cost-containment hockey league. If they add men's hockey, there'll be a lot of shuffling as a result.

Powers &8^]

Comment

I tend to think UAH has to wind up in the AHA or UAH is dead. Program was on its death bed as it was this year, if they are not in a conference by end of year I don't see how they are going to survive. AHA administration should find a way to take them even if the cheap skate school don't want them. From "rumors" I have heard UCONN move to Hockey East is not going to be the end of the changing college landscape and I see it as inevitable that at least one, if not more teams from the AHA will jump ship in the next couple of years. The way college hockey is going these days you got to be willing to spend money to just have a chance, I think some may just decide to fold in the AHA instead of spending the money...
                  Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
                  The Mule
                  Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Assuming we are talking about 11 votes, which six schools (if a simple majority is what it takes to add a member) would vote to add UAH, and why?
                    Bentley University Hockey
                    On-campus arena: Build it, and they will come...

Comment

Assuming we are talking about 11 votes, which six schools (if a simple majority is what it takes to add a member) would vote to add UAH, and why?
                      I'd be shocked if it takes less than two-thirds to ratify a new member.
                      Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

How should we know? I doubt any of us are privy to internal discussions at more than one of the schools, and most of us at none.

But we all know 11-team leagues are hard to schedule; that right there might be reason enough. UAH is a program with a long history -- and a successful one at certain levels. It expands the conference's footprint into a new market and will help save a program that needs saving. The main difference compared to the Niagara/RoMo addition is that UAH is considerably farther away. But I think that's offset by the desire to get back to an even number of teams.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Here are my guesses as to how teams would vote:

Practically certain YES: RIT, Air Force, Niagara, Robert Morris, Mercyhurst
                          Practically certain NO: AIC, Sacred Heart
                          I'm guessing a YES from Canisius
                          So I think it would come down to Bentley, Army, and Holy Cross.
                          2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                          2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                          2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                          2010 Frozen Four participant
                          2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

I would think that Army would be a yes: travel costs not a real issue; former UAH assistant on staff; Huntsville is home to Redstone Arsenal, one of the largest Army bases, which would make for a good trip/crowd.

Comment

I think the AHA has an obligation to take UAH. For the good of the game. Almost all their former opponents are currently in the AHA. Full stop.

If Navy and URI start teams, then good, they can join the AHA too and make it two divisions. But there is a program in peril and it is worth saving.

Comment

Since we're using idle speculation, I would guess that:
                                a.) Both Army and AFA would vote the same, either by purpose, or by common goal.
                                b.) Both would vote "no". Why would two teams that do not benefit (in fact are competively harmed) by adding scholarships to the league limit vote to add a team that would most likely vote for that if/when it came up?
                                Bentley University Hockey
                                On-campus arena: Build it, and they will come...

Comment

Working...
                                X