Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota State Mankato Offseason Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota State Mankato Offseason Thread.

For those interested in the article, here is the link:

http://today.mnsu.edu/2012/09/12/going-for-the-goal/

Comment

To answer my own question, I stopped in to the athletics office today and found out that the season ticket packages will be mailed early next week.
      My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Only 19 days until the Hastings era begins at Minnesota State. I can't wait!

Here's a tidbit to get the juices flowing:

http://www.msumavericks.com/news/201...918125227.aspx

Comment

We are only 18 days away from the Mike Hastings era. What will be the most visible change to Minnesota State hockey? Will we see a Michigan Tech turnaround? Who is going to be this years MVP?

Comment

Originally posted by MAVSFAN4EVER View Post
            We are only 18 days away from the Mike Hastings era. What will be the most visible change to Minnesota State hockey? Will we see a Michigan Tech turnaround? Who is going to be this years MVP?
            Most visible change: Fewer empty seats
            Tech turnaround: Probably not this season, but next season might and should win the WCHA
            MVP: JP Lafontaine

Comment

I agree, I think there will be larger crowds, which will improve the overall atmosphere. I am cautiously optimistic that our turnaround will be quicker than some believe. We have a solid class of freshmen coming in, along with our top three scorers from last year. We also get Chase Grant back from injury. My guess for MVP is Eriah Hayes. He's big and physical, which is exactly what we need with a young team.

Comment

This will be a very fun group to watch up front. With a lot of young talent back, plus Grant, Teddy B, and Gervais coming in, they'll be highly talented.

I'm concerned with defense and goaltending, but it'll be interesting to see the style of play Hastings has implemented with these guys.
                AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

I'm actually more optimistic than most. The thing that I keep falling back on is that there were more than a few whispers coming out of last year that MSU would be darkhorse this year. As much as I liked a couple of the guys, we really didn't lose anyone that was exceptionally key last year (outside of MAYBE Schiller for his defense). We've got some really good scorers coming back and some good recruits coming in. Goaltending is going to be the biggest concern unless Williams comes in and is a world beater.
                  Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

Originally posted by Bale View Post
                    I'm actually more optimistic than most. The thing that I keep falling back on is that there were more than a few whispers coming out of last year that MSU would be darkhorse this year. As much as I liked a couple of the guys, we really didn't lose anyone that was exceptionally key last year (outside of MAYBE Schiller for his defense). We've got some really good scorers coming back and some good recruits coming in. Goaltending is going to be the biggest concern unless Williams comes in and is a world beater.
                    Do remember, Williams was fantastic in juniors.

It should be fun to watch these guys compete this year. I could see us anywhere from 5-10 in the WCHA this year.
                    AF 99

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                      Do remember, Williams was fantastic in juniors.

It should be fun to watch these guys compete this year. I could see us anywhere from 5-10 in the WCHA this year.
                      I wouldn't say Williams was fantastic.
                      I got to see a lot of him in Waterloo and he was good but he gives up huge rebounds and if he isn't focused, can be beaten when he shouldn't be.
                      His defense cleared pucks and bodies for him well in Waterloo and Mankato's D should be prepared to have to do the same thing.
                      "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                      -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                      Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                      Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                      Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                      Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

If Williams gets the nod, our seasoned blue liners should be able to clean up our zone. I imagine that Hastings is taking a long look at all three goaltenders. Less than 2 weeks!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MAVSFAN4EVER View Post
                          If Williams gets the nod, our seasoned blue liners should be able to clean up our zone. I imagine that Hastings is taking a long look at all three goaltenders. Less than 2 weeks!!!
                          Let's be honest, when was the last time we had a goaltender that DIDN'T give up a lot of juicy rebounds?
                          Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

Season tickets arrived today.
                            My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Mavs Fan (or other local resident): I'm planning to take in a MSU-M game this year. Where to stay in the local area? Any nifty little "ma'n'pa" motels like they have all over northern Minn, WI, and Mich? The national chains are okay - but I prefer the little guys (who come recommended!).

You could reply to my home e-mail address, which is my USCHO id + at AOL dot com.

Thanks to all!

Steve G

Comment

Just a heads up, sometime next week Monday or Tuesday ill be starting the season thread and doing my version of an in depth perspective on the 2012-2013 season!
                                AF 99

Comment

Working...
                                X