Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Top 27 best movies - ever

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Still on my list. Haven't seen it yet, so I cannot comment.

I do love me High Plains Drifter, one of my faves (also featuring Clint as a man with no name, sorta).
    OMG, you haven't seen "The Searchers?" Please make sure you do, soon. Wayne deserved an Oscar for that role. Very dark. Several times in the fiim somebody says something and Wayne responds "that'll be the day." It impressed a young kid in Lubbock enough to write a song. That device was also used in "Big Jake," where periodically people would say: "You're Jacob McCandles? I thought you wuz dead." And Duke would reply "not hardly."
    Last edited by Old Pio; 04-25-2012, 10:03 PM.
    2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
      OMG, you haven't seen "The Searchers?" Please make sure you do, soon. Wayne deserved an Oscar for that role. Very dark. Several times in the fiim somebody would say something and Wayne would respond "that'll be the day." It impressed a young kid in Lubbock enough to write a song. That device was also used in "Big Jake," where periodically people would say: "You're Jacob McCandles? I thought you wuz dead." And Duke would reply "not hardly."
      There's a crapload of old movies I haven't seen. I didn't start getting into them until the past few years. I had a severe dis-connect with movies made before I was a movie fan, actually. Dunno why. Now that I can appreciate what they offer, my queue is loaded with them. A few snuck through the cracks before then (mainly westerns and such) because they always used to play on holidays. Since we were usually at my grandparents, that was what was on (hence the previous old westerns I mentioned).

The only other mentionable movie I remember (and I have to see it again) is "The Great Escape" with Steve McQueen. I remember liking it, but it was so long ago I forgot why I liked it.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

"Rio Bravo" -- also excellent. Plus Angie Dickinson is HOT.
        Bugs Bunny - 96
        Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

Originally posted by DaveStPaul View Post
          I remember seeing her in other things, although I don't remember what. Yeah.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveStPaul View Post
            I liked Rio Bravo in Get Shorty.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
            And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
            Twenty red lights in his honor
            Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
              I remember seeing her in other things, although I don't remember what. Yeah.
              "I've done em all". -frank Sinatra
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

There's a crapload of old movies I haven't seen. I didn't start getting into them until the past few years. I had a severe dis-connect with movies made before I was a movie fan, actually. Dunno why. Now that I can appreciate what they offer, my queue is loaded with them. A few snuck through the cracks before then (mainly westerns and such) because they always used to play on holidays. Since we were usually at my grandparents, that was what was on (hence the previous old westerns I mentioned).

The only other mentionable movie I remember (and I have to see it again) is "The Great Escape" with Steve McQueen. I remember liking it, but it was so long ago I forgot why I liked it.
                No doubt I saw many of them before they were "old." LOL. But "The Searchers" may be Ford's best effort, Wayne's best effort and the best western of them all. Shot in monument vallley. With lots of the Ford stock company: Ward Bond, Patrick Wayne, Ken Curtis, that bald guy with the Swedish accent who was in every Wayne film, and that guy who always acted like he had a screw loose (also seemingly in every Wayne film). I cannot recommend it more highly.

Comment

No doubt I saw many of them before they were "old." LOL. But "The Searchers" may be Ford's best effort, Wayne's best effort and the best western of them all. Shot in monument vallley. With lots of the Ford stock company: Ward Bond, Patrick Wayne, Ken Curtis, that bald guy with the Swedish accent who was in every Wayne film, and that guy who always acted like he had a screw loose (also seemingly in every Wayne film). I cannot recommend it more highly.
                  Maybe I'll bump up that one. I haven't watched a western in a while. I'm due.

Comment

Maybe I'll bump up that one. I haven't watched a western in a while. I'm due.
                    AFI ranks it the number one western. See it, then let me know what you think. I can't imagine you won't like it. Maybe not your favorite, but an extraordinarily good film. Wayne was never better.

Comment

AFI ranks it the number one western. See it, then let me know what you think. I can't imagine you won't like it. Maybe not your favorite, but an extraordinarily good film. Wayne was never better.
                      I think I'll time it for next weekend (not this coming weekend, I have some plans that need attending to). I will definitely let you know my thoughts.

Comment

"Better off Dead"
                        Best movie of someone wanting their 2 Dolllars

Comment

Natural Born Killers

Best movie predicting on what the media will evolve to.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                            33) Talladega Nights
                            --- best NASCAR movie.
                            Strocker Ace

Comment

"Running Man"
                              Best movie staring a former game show host playing a game show host.

Comment

Originally posted by Nifty16 View Post
                                "Better off Dead"
                                Best movie of someone wanting their 2 Dolllars
                                Do you know the street value of this mountain?

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                                And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                                Twenty red lights in his honor
                                Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Working...
                                X