X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The NCHC: Just be glad its NaCHo League

Originally posted by SoCalSiouxFan View Post

I understand that Western Michigan (3,667 Capicity) and Miami (3,200 capacity) have good hockey programs but it seems their facilities are not up to par. Any plans for expanded seating at Western Michigan or Miami?
    I think there have been some conversations (maybe a ballot initiative?) for a new arena in downtown Kalamazoo, but nothing concrete. I'm sure bronconick can tell you all there is to know about that.

As far as I know, there are no plans for Miami to expand. I'm not even sure if it would be physically possible.
    Last edited by MUhawks628; 04-23-2012, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
      Yes, but we are talking about the Director of Hockey Operations
      What Director of Hockey Operations? Just kidding!!!

Just wish the NCHA had a web page so the Commish could keep us posted.

Oh wait there is a facebook page and in the about section of the Facebook page there is a link to the NCHC web page.
      here is the link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationa...key_Conference

Does that help? Probably not!!! Seems like it may take some time before the NCHC rivals the Big 10 off the ice.
      "For me, college hockey was obviously the best step I could have taken to get to the next level." - Jonathan Toews, North Dakota/Chicago Blackhawks

Comment

Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post
        I think there have been some conversations (maybe a ballot initiative?) for a new arena in downtown Kalamazoo, but nothing concrete. I'm sure bronconick can tell you all there is to know about that.

As far as I know, there are no plans for Miami to expand. I'm not even sure if it would be physically possible.
        Miami has a brand new building and its beautiful. No need to do anything there.

They sell out every game and if they are missing out on any revenue that's their problem.

Oxford Ohio is a very small town and there's not really a need to have more seating.

*****http://www.ice.muohio.edu/club_hockey/images/Main%20Arena%20Corner%20Suite%20View.jpg******

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
          I just checked out a half dozen non-overtime random DU games this season over at www.collegehockeystats.net. They're all around 2:30.

Then I went back to 2004-05 and they are all around 2:13.

The NFL shortened their games and NCAA football followed suit recently.

If you want to grow the game, get people in and out of the arena in around 2 hours.
          Two hours is too short for a hockey game. People can live with 2 and a half, and I'm happy with that. Its not like its a god**** nationally broadcast baseball or football game.
          tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Miami has a brand new building and its beautiful. No need to do anything there.

They sell out every game and if they are missing out on any revenue that's their problem.

Oxford Ohio is a very small town and there's not really a need to have more seating.

*****http://www.ice.muohio.edu/club_hockey/images/Main%20Arena%20Corner%20Suite%20View.jpg******
            They still have the Redskin logo? I know some people out west that are gonna be ****ed about theirs coming under attack.

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
              They still have the Redskin logo? I know some people out west that are gonna be ****ed about theirs coming under attack.
              *****http://www.miamistudent.net/polopoly_fs/1.1786191!/image/1884069074.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_260/1884069074.jpg******

There was some talk a couple years ago about taking it down, never happened though.

Comment

You still will see it at UND too.
                "My greatest achievement."
                Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

Originally posted by darker98 View Post
                  You still will see it at UND too.
                  But why no mention of that when UND's logos are brought up.

Comment

Notre Dame wanted to join the NCHC but wasn't willing to concede on the TV issue or the number of games.
                    When are people going to realize their is little money in college hockey tv. No big deals.

Comment

Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post
                      *****http://www.miamistudent.net/polopoly_fs/1.1786191!/image/1884069074.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_260/1884069074.jpg******

There was some talk a couple years ago about taking it down, never happened though.
                      play the scalp song!

Comment

It's good that seemingly all the NCAA hockey schools who's fans celebrate their Manifest Destiny are all in the same conference. Yay white people! ammirite? ammirite?

So there's that.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalSiouxFan View Post
                          Last season UND lead the nation in attendance.

http://www.fightingsiou*****/ViewArt...B_OEM_ID=13500

The WCHA schools transfering into the NCHA all have facilities with capacities of 5,763 or more. Also St. Cloud State which had the smallest capacity of 5763 has plans to add seating.

I understand that Western Michigan (3,667 Capicity) and Miami (3,200 capacity) have good hockey programs but it seems their facilities are not up to par. Any plans for expanded seating at Western Michigan or Miami?
                          SRO at Lawson extends the capacity to 4,575, fyi. If they had seating around 4,000 I'd probably call it good for the next decade or two. The K-Wings offering dollar beers every Friday probably costs us a few drunk adult hockey fans with our no alcohol policy. I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

The downtown arena is an interesting issue. Wings Stadium across town where the ECHL team plays is one year newer than Lawson at 38 years, so their owner would like a new arena. The couple billionaires in town and most of the other super rich have all kind of come in behind putting a 6,800 or so seat arena near downtown on land that WMU primarily owns. The problem is that the only plan they have brought forward would have required a county wide tax on bars/hotels/restaurants/etc. It never even reached the ballot in 2010 because someone hinted to them about the oncoming Tea Party wave that occurred that fall. The common view on the street is still "Pay for the thing yourself". It's also poorly situated, quite frankly. There's no easy way off either US-131 or I-94 to downtown Kalamazoo, and moving 3-4,000 cars out of there would be an immense pain in the ***.

As far as Lawson itself goes, Murray's been pushing hard for a separate workout facility in Lawson itself instead of everyone using the indoor facilities next to the football stadium and some upgraded meeting rooms, that sort of thing. I think he feels if the player areas are on par with the rest of the league, he can live with a meh public section of the arena. A new arena would likely murder the obnoxiousness of our students, the biggest part of the home ice advantage we do hold.
                          "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                            It's good that seemingly all the NCAA hockey schools who's fans celebrate their Manifest Destiny are all in the same conference. Yay white people! ammirite? ammirite?

So there's that.
                            Given your obvious support of this, I guess this means you'll stop acting like a baby about the new leagues. Ammirite? Ammirite?
                            Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                            when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                            Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                              But why no mention of that [the Redskin logo] when UND's logos are brought up.
                              It probably would come up if Miami tried to host a Regional or if they had it on their uniforms.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post

So there's that.
                                Just wait for SEC Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X