Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Union Hockey Offseason Thread - That was fun...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union Hockey Offseason Thread - That was fun...

Originally posted by ADK11 View Post
    http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=632276 It's official.. OUCH!

My bet would be that the coaches either stand pat with the 3 forwards committed or possibly accelerate '13 recruit Nick Cruice. As much as Johnston would have been very nice to have, the cupboard is stacked with returning forwards next season and one freshman isn't going to make a huge difference. Cruice plays a power forward type game and could add depth, meanwhile the coaches can focus on getting another top forward for '13.
    The consensus from blogosphere seems to be that Johnston is far from NHL ready and a likely AHL or ECHL candidate next year. I hope for his sake that he made the right decision. So far as Union is concerned I think it's a lot less disruptive to the program to lose him at the outset rather than after a year or two. Still, the loss of any recruit means you are not getting a player that you would have liked to have.

Comment

Originally posted by Union93 View Post
      How quickly the program evolves.
      Now losing guys to NHL organizations
      prior to matriculating.
      Hard to imagine just a few years back.

I know one thing. Unlike our buddies
      in Troy,we will look forward and not
      ***** about what could have been.
      At least we don't claim victory when you lose a player.

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
        The consensus from blogosphere seems to be that Johnston is far from NHL ready and a likely AHL or ECHL candidate next year. I hope for his sake that he made the right decision. So far as Union is concerned I think it's a lot less disruptive to the program to lose him at the outset rather than after a year or two. Still, the loss of any recruit means you are not getting a player that you would have liked to have.
        It's definitely a big jump for Johnston, but it's hard to say "no" when you are given a once in a lifetime opportunity.

The longer term impact of this is less known. Losing 2 of the best players in program history in Zajac & Welsh, this would have been a nice way to "reload". We'll see what the coaches come up with..
        Last edited by ADK11; 05-28-2012, 06:32 PM.
        UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

The Union coaching tree continues to grow.. Kris Mayotte named an assistant coach at SLU
          http://www.uscho.com/2012/05/22/form...t-st-lawrence/

Comment

This isn't great news, but not the end of the world either. The best forward in last year's class decommitted late in the offseason last year and everything turned out fine.

Having Johnston would've been very nice, but I think Wilkins will be an impact player right away, so the cupboard isn't bare.

Comment

It's definitely a big jump for Johnston, but it's hard to say "no" when you are given a once in a lifetime opportunity.
              I'm not sure I agree that him making the jump is a once in a lifetime opportunity. On the other hand a chance at a college education might be, and one that may have essentially been paid for based on what was likely a generous aid package.

Comment

I'm not sure I agree that him making the jump is a once in a lifetime opportunity. On the other hand a chance at a college education might be, and one that may have essentially been paid for based on what was likely a generous aid package.
                Well that's the dilemma that Johnston had to choose from.. he's 21 and a NHL free agent, so there is no guarantee he'll ever get an offer like this again. If he goes to college he could end up not getting icetime or getting hurt or just not producing enough to get another NHL offer. Of course, those things could happen in the pros too and then you get cut, but at least you can say you gave it an honest try and went for the brass ring. It takes a lot of maturity and self-assurance to say "no" to an NHL offer and understand that if you're not good enough to make it in college hockey then you probably wouldn't have made it in the pros either and at least you'll have a good education at the end of the day. It's a tough decision, but I understand how following your dream wins out.

..and not to dwell too excessively on this, but another link on Johnston leaving from the SJHL website.. says it was tough calling Union's coaches
                http://www.sjhl.ca/news_item.aspx?news_id=2451
                Last edited by ADK11; 05-22-2012, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Well that's the dilemma that Johnston had to choose from.. he's 21 and a NHL free agent, so there is no guarantee he'll ever get an offer like this again. If he goes to college he could end up not getting icetime or getting hurt or just not producing enough to get another NHL offer. Of course, those things could happen in the pros too and then you get cut, but at least you can say you gave it an honest try and went for the brass ring. It takes a lot of maturity and self-assurance to say "no" to an NHL offer and understand that if you're not good enough to make it in college hockey then you probably wouldn't have made it in the pros either and at least you'll have a good education at the end of the day. It's a tough decision, but I understand how following your dream wins out.

..and not to dwell too excessively on this, but another link on Johnston leaving from the SJHL website.. says it was tough calling Union's coaches
                  http://www.sjhl.ca/news_item.aspx?news_id=2451
                  Nothing wrong with dwelling on this in my view since there's really not much else going on during these otherwise quiet times. Your point is well taken and I'm sure it was a tough if not impossible offer to refuse. I just hope it works out for him. From the same article : "La Ronge defenseman and 2009-2010 SJHL Player of the Year Dustin Stevenson was faced with the same decision two years ago, and he made the same call as Johnston, opting to walk away from a Division I scholarship at St. Lawrence, and sign a pro deal with the Washington Capitals. Stevenson remains in the Capitals' system, and just wrapped up his second season with the ECHL's South Carolina Stingrays."

Comment

The sad thing about this is that Andrew Johnston didn't even sign a very lucrative contract. It is good, but not great...

Comment

....Stevenson remains in the Capitals' system, and just wrapped up his second season with the ECHL's South Carolina Stingrays."
                      ....2nd prize is 3 season with the Stingrays....
                      ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                        ....2nd prize is 3 season with the Stingrays....
                        Exactly.

Comment

http://www.hockeyjournal.com/blog/ki...Mark_Jankowski

Looks like we would have had this probable high draftee coming in this year too, but he followed Nate.

Comment

Someone made a 6 minute piece on the 2011-2012 season.

Pretty good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug0zizBgykk

Comment

It's what I like to call the silly season with little going on in the college hockey world, at least compared to last summer. So here's INCH's top 10 forecast for 2012-13. http://insidecollegehockey.com/inch/...10for13_teams/

Comment

http://www.dailygazette.com/weblogs/...act-extension/

Rick Bennett's contract has been extended through 2018-2019.

Comment

Working...
                                X