HE Championship Game, Maine Vs BC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HE Championship Game, Maine Vs BC

Congrats to both teams for making to the last HE game of the year. BC is the best team top to bottom in HE, probably the country. MAine has far exceeded my expectations especially thinking back to last fall. BC rolls 4 good lines, they have one of the best Dman in the nation, the only chink in the armor might be the goalie who has won 13 or 14 straight.
    Maine rolls 4 lines also but not on the same caliber as BC, Maines first line might be the best in the nation but Spence looks to be out for tonight so that hurts. Maines D is shaky at times but much better than early in the season, Sully has been the man lately. Going to take a complete 60 minutes for Maine to have a chance.

Maine is without a doubt the underdog but thats why they play the games, lets hope for a clean exciting injury free game

http://bangordailynews.com/2012/03/1...t-final-vs-bc/

BDN article saying Spence has head injury
    Last edited by walrus; 03-17-2012, 06:47 AM.
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Re: HE Championship Game, Maine Vs BC

I think BC's depth is going to be tough for Maine. Sullivan looked shaky last night at times vs. BU. I have to think there will be some revenge on the Eagles' minds after the sweep in Orono, too. Anyways, Maine will be back in the NCAAs no matter what which I think is good overall for college hockey. Hopefully Abbott is ok for next weekend.
    Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

This would be a tough one even with Abbott healthy. They said last night it looked like a lower body injury but he was walking okay later on. Maybe he had to sell his embellishment. Something they learned playing Merrimack no doubt.

It might be a close game but I see BC winning this one probably going away like 6-3. Here's hoping Abbott can play, but best to get him healthy for the NCAA's. Looking like maybe a 2 seed staying east?

See now it was a head injury, assume concussion. Didnt see a sharp blow to the head and wouldnt have thought that elbow would have caused that. Maybe neck. Out of the lineup for now.
      Last edited by acs64; 03-17-2012, 06:55 AM.
      I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

It's a shame Abbott got knocked out. But the good news is the two best teams are playing in the Hockey East final. I expect a classic game that will get both teams ramped up for next week.
        BC Interruption: SB Nation's Boston College Eagles Community
        -
        Boston College Class of 2010

Comment

What a bunch of sandbaggers! Maine swept the Eagles two months ago. We'll be lucky to play even with you. And I certainly won't mention that many Maine fans have mixed emotions. The more the Bears win, the longer Whitehead stays. ;-)
          Originally posted by mookie1995
          bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
          Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
          Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
            What a bunch of sandbaggers! Maine swept the Eagles two months ago. We'll be lucky to play even with you. And I certainly won't mention that many Maine fans have mixed emotions. The more the Bears win, the longer Whitehead stays. ;-)
            As long as Whitehead stays subservient to Corkum we luv him

BC by 3 easy. I hope at least Abbott is given a good place to watch the game from instead of behind someones net. Its ironic the thugs from Merrimack werent able to cause game changing injuries as much as they tried, but BU was able to.

Getting ahead of myself here abit, but chances of Maine meeting up with UMD in Bridgeport? That'd be fun. edit, not gonna happen.
            Last edited by acs64; 03-17-2012, 07:17 AM.
            I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

I'm expecting a very close and exciting game. If last night proved anything, tonight's key is...for BC to stay out of the box to the greatest extent possible. Maine's powerplay is DEADLY, with or without Abbott in the lineup. BC should be well aware having tasted its wrath in the two game sweep at Alfond.
              The ORIGINAL Cross Check

Frozen Four appearances since 98'
              BC - 12
              BU - 2

BC Hockey 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012 National Champions

Comment

No sandbagging.

BC is the top team in the country. Maine might have the top player in the country, but he won't be playing. BC's also playing in their backyard, Maine had a late game - which was a much more physical, demanding contest than BC had in the afternoon game. Whitehead v York . . . what matchup is there that isn't in BC's favor?

Maine has - or at least used to have - a tradition of not coughing up hairballs in the postseason. You won't find many bad losses in the HEA semis, and you won't find any in the NCAAs. At least in the past 20 years or so. I hope Maine puts in a good effort, makes it look respectable, and stays healthy.

Assuming BC plays at their best. If BC doesn't show up to play, maybe I'll hope for more.
                1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by acs64 View Post
                  See now it was a head injury, assume concussion. Didnt see a sharp blow to the head and wouldnt have thought that elbow would have caused that. Maybe neck. Out of the lineup for now.
                  Escobedo swung his arm to his left and his elbow hit Abbott's jaw. The replay shows Abbott's head jerking back two or three inches from the blow. The replay also shows that Abbott's head didn't hit the ice or the boards in a way that would cause injury. It's pretty clear to me that if Abbott has a concussion, it was caused by Escobedo's elbow. I'm not saying it was intentional or that the referee could have seen it clearly enough to call a penalty; just that the injury was caused by an elbow to the head.

Comment

To all the UMaine fans and followers on these boards who will be in Boston or watching on TV tonight - enjoy the game! It'll be tough without Abbott, but in a single-game format anything can happen. Let's hope his injury isn't serious and he can play next week. If it is a concussion, he(and those who give him advice) should think about the possible consequences if he plays in the NCAA tourney. I know it's a last-chance opportunity for him being a senior to win an NCAA title, but another head shot (whether it's either a serious blow or a minor bump) could cause him problems down the road - refer to Crosby, Pronger, Lindros and a long list of others.

I wish I could be there tonight, but I'll have to settle for listening online. I'll be in Worcester next weekend - I don't know if there's a chance that Maine could be placed there, but I'll keep my fingers crossed. It seems that the Pairwise experts on these boards are now thinking that Bridgeport might be where Maine ends up.

Comment

Win or lose, BC is the top overall seed. They'll be #1 in Worcester.

If Maine wins, they have a chance at a 1 seed. Best-case scenario for Maine would be #1 in Bridgeport. They can win and still be a 2 seed, which is their best chance to end up in Worcester.

If BC wins, then BU slips ahead of Maine, and there's a good chance that Maine goes West.

We'll know more in just a few hours.
                      1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

I'm thinking Mangene moves up to the first line, Cerretani might move into the lineup now. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
                        Last edited by Gusforhobey; 03-17-2012, 02:04 PM. Reason: Typo
                        Curse of the Timmy

Comment

Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
                          Winning trumps Whitehead. It always has (something that some people fail to grasp).

Comment

Originally posted by Gusforhobey View Post
                            I'm thinking Magene moves up to the first line, Cerretani might move into the lineup now. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
                            Works for me. Then you'd have Swavely on the 2nd line with Anthoine and Higgins. Parker moves up to play with the Swedes, and Cerretani joins the 4th line.

Other possibility is to move another LW into Abbott's place, which would be Anthoine. Who takes Anthoine's place isn't obvious. I wouldn't move Shemansky up from the 4th line, and I'd leave Leidermark and Andersson alone. Maybe flip Swavely to LW and move him to the 2nd line (as above)?

I like Anthoine's shot, which is probably why I keep him on the 2nd line. The first line still has Flynn and Diamond to put the puck in the net.
                            Last edited by amherstblackbear; 03-17-2012, 01:57 PM.

Comment

BC playing in its backyard is a non factor. Maine will have just as many if not more fans there tonight. Unless you meant BCs experience playing at the Garden in general...

Comment

Working...
                              X