SLU Skating Saints Hockey '18-'19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SLU Skating Saints Hockey '18-'19

Not too many of us left since the exodus to the facebook page but I like this site way better and hope to keep St. Lawrence alive on this site, so it's time for this year's thread. Really ugly start to the season, have watched both the scrimmage and the Maine games and those three losses doesn't give much hope for this season. We thought last year was ugly but with the schedule in front of the team, this year might be somehow worse. Only ray of hope is we have strong goaltending but what can they do when they are facing over 40 shots a night. Big, slow defense and zero goal scorers on offense equals a mess. Team is full of very good guys who are extremely hard workers but the reality is we don't have much actual D-I level talent on a very young team and that is going to cause one long season at Appleton.

Hope I'm proven to be wrong and the team jams it down my throat for being negative with my initial thoughts on the season...brighter days are ahead hopefully sooner that later. Go Saints!
    Last edited by GoldenBear; 03-29-2019, 12:55 PM.
    Mr. Hoot Owl says, "Scary isn't it ?!? You never know!!!"

Re: SLU Skating Saints Hockey '18-'19

Originally posted by GoldenBear View Post
    Not too many of us left since the exodus to the facebook page but I like this site way better and hope to keep St. Lawrence alive on this site, so it's time for this year's thread. Really ugly start to the season, have watched both the scrimmage and the Maine games and those three losses doesn't give much hope for this season. We thought last year was ugly but with the schedule in front of the team, this year might be somehow worse. Only ray of hope is we have strong goaltending but what can they do when they are facing over 40 shots a night. Big, slow defense and zero goal scorers on offense equals a mess. Team is full of very good guys who are extremely hard workers but the reality is we don't have much actual D-I level talent on a very young team and that is going to cause one long season at Appleton.

Hope I'm proven to be wrong and the team jams it down my throat for being negative with my initial thoughts on the season...brighter days are ahead hopefully sooner that later. Go Saints!
    I missed this post, but I see it was from before this past weekend.

I agree with everything you mentioned. However, I did see some big steps forward this past weekend, even in Saturday's lopsided defeat. I saw a drastic improvement in the power play. Night and day difference compared to the week before against Maine. You can tell they worked hard on that during the week. The passing was much sharper and their ability to win puck battles along the boards was improved as well. We put the puck to the net more than we have in the past, which is something I have been hoping to see an improvement in. This resulted in several good, quality scoring chances both nights and we were able to pull out a hard fought win Friday night because of it. Saturday's game on paper looked like a complete blow out and in some senses it was, but I saw some good signs in the first two periods that has me encouraged that they can put this all together sooner rather than later.

Oddly enough, what I did (and still do to some degree) see as our strength is our goaltending and it actually let us a down a bit this past weekend. Several of those goals could have and probably should've been stopped. On most nights they probably would have been, but Saturday was just one of those odd nights that happen every now and again and hopefully they can put it behind them and move on from it.

Big test coming up this weekend facing a strong Michigan team on the road in what is always known as a hostile environment. If the goaltending can be strong and we can continue to make even further progress from last weekend then we have a shot to hang with them. Let's Go Saints!
    Last edited by Saints#1; 10-23-2018, 11:25 AM.
    St. Lawrence Skating Saints Hockey

6 time ECAC Champions: 1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001
    4 time ECAC Runner-Ups: 1964, 1987, 1991, 1999
    2 time ECAC Cleary Cup Champions: 2000, 2007
    16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
    9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000
    2 time NCAA Tournament Runner-Ups: 1961, 1988

Comment

Leading scorer in the USHL, ATT......
      Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Well, been 4 or 5 years since I checked in, but since I made the trip to Ann Arbor, I figure I can contribute a bit.
        The Saints had no quit in them, but also had about half the team speed that Blue had. Also, when Blue had a Grade-A chance, they buried it. The Saints had lousy shot totals both games, but especially in the Saturday game that was due to the fact that most of our attempts were off the net. This was especially hard to take when we pulled the goalie and kept it in their end for a long time with multiple chances. Sigh. One thing, though--Yost was definitely not a hostile environment. I was the only guy in the place with an SLU sweater, and everyone was really friendly--got a great shot of me and a guy in a wolverine hat!

Comment

Welcome Saints, bumpy road for you guys lately, we're struggling also(Gate)
          It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Last two seasons have been tough.

Anyone have any new updates on Martin Pospisil? That will be a big blow if he does not go to SLU.
            SLU '97

Comment

Originally posted by Spaceman View Post

Anyone have any new updates on Martin Pospisil? That will be a big blow if he does not go to SLU.
              Last I saw, he isn't coming to Canton, and probably won't be playing NCAA hockey. Clearinghouse issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Spaceman View Post

Yes, as hockeyplayer1015 mentioned, he has had clearinghouse issues. This is having to do with his academics. Which is a major bummer. Not sure if he can reapply or not, but it appears as though he will be headed on the fast track to the pros instead. We just can't seem to catch a break lately, but I will say that if karma is real then we are majorly due!
                St. Lawrence Skating Saints Hockey

6 time ECAC Champions: 1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001
                4 time ECAC Runner-Ups: 1964, 1987, 1991, 1999
                2 time ECAC Cleary Cup Champions: 2000, 2007
                16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
                9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000
                2 time NCAA Tournament Runner-Ups: 1961, 1988

Comment

Time for the University to pull the plug and start over. I have said multiple times that Coach Morris is a great coach and a great guy but the University has done him in. The way the university handled his hiring and then the way they let the investigation happen and lack of control PR wise has tainted Coach Morris and his staff. High end recruits won't come and their families won't send them because Coach Morris has been tainted. I feel really bad for Coach Morris but I can see no way forward for him at this point, with major renovations to Appleton coming it is time for the university to wipe the slate clean and start with a new staff to go along with the "new" Appleton to right the ship and jump start the program back to success.

That being said I still will be at the games cheering for Coach Morris and the team, Go Saints!

Comment

Time for the University to pull the plug and start over. I have said multiple times that Coach Morris is a great coach and a great guy but the University has done him in. The way the university handled his hiring and then the way they let the investigation happen and lack of control PR wise has tainted Coach Morris and his staff. High end recruits won't come and their families won't send them because Coach Morris has been tainted. I feel really bad for Coach Morris but I can see no way forward for him at this point, with major renovations to Appleton coming it is time for the university to wipe the slate clean and start with a new staff to go along with the "new" Appleton to right the ship and jump start the program back to success.

That being said I still will be at the games cheering for Coach Morris and the team, Go Saints!
                    Adam just summed it up in his latest Between the lines article: https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...ines-State.php its time for a change! But not just with the coach, it needs to start with the AD first.

Comment

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I respect yours but totally disagree with it. Where there's smoke, there's fire.
                      The one thing none of us thought throughout all this mess (and it is a big hot mess) is that like him or not....the coaching ability was not ever the question (with the hiring). In retrospect, from things I have heard from players, parents, former NHL/AHL players......it appears we were wrong on that account. Coaching ability is in question. The University didn't do him in. it's all self inflicted.

And if I may......what did the "way the university handled his hiring" have to do with it? Other than perhaps making the wrong choice......what is it they mishandled?????

As the post after yours indicates......Adam Wodon best summarized it in that it needs to be a clean sweep at Appleton. AD and Coaching staff. All have to go. They are all culpable for taking a winning program on the cusp of an NCAA bid and turning it into one of the worst D1 programs in the country (at the current time.)

And yes the Facebook group is much more active than this page.......and the lack of comments here over the last year or two speaks volumes about the apathy that many feel towards the current program and situation.
                      SLU

Comment

Weekend Preview: St. Lawrence/Clarkson

http://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/201...eclarkson.html
                        QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
                        2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
                        2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
                        2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
                        https://***********/QHockeyBlog
                        https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
                        https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

Re: SLU Skating Saints Hockey '18-'19 *MORRIS FIRED*

Entire coaching staff fired, an absolute needed move. Time to restart with a new staff and a new Appleton. Hope this jump-starts SLU getting back to where they belong as a top hockey program! https://saintsathletics.com/news/201...eadership.aspx
                          Last edited by GoldenBear; 03-29-2019, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Totally warranted. Program was dead under Morris who was so out of touch in the college game.
                            QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
                            2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
                            2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
                            2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
                            https://***********/QHockeyBlog
                            https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
                            https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

Congrats! SLU deserves much better than these past couple years. Morris should be ashamed for derailing this program.

Comment

Working...
                              X