Brown Hockey 2018-19: Marchin Orders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brown Hockey 2018-19: Marchin Orders

Seems like last year's thread has been sent to the void. Alas! Captains were announced today, so it's a good time to hit refresh and start anew. Marchin, Gottlieb, and Giuttari seem like wise picks, and they're also three of our better players in my very humble opinion.

https://brownbears.com/news/2018/9/1...r-2018-19.aspx

Not sure what to expect out of this group, but it's a contract year for Brendan Whittet, so it'll be interesting to see if he makes some bold moves in the interest of securing a contract extension.

Re: Brown Hockey 2018-19: Marchin Orders

I’ll help get your Thread going. You lost a commit 2 days ago to Penn St. (Chase McLane).
    Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

2018-2019 Brown Men’s Ice Hockey Schedule

Saturday, October 20 PRINCETON & YALE (Ivy Jamboree scrimmage) TBA
      Friday, October 26 YALE 7:00 p.m.
      Sunday, October 28 VERMONT 5:00 p.m.
      Friday, November 2 at Colgate 7:00 p.m.
      Saturday, November 3 at Cornell 7:00 p.m.
      Friday, November 9 DARTMOUTH 7:00 p.m.
      Saturday, November 10 HARVARD 7:00 p.m.
      Wednesday, November 13 at UConn 7:00 p.m.
      Friday, November 30 at Clarkson 7:00 p.m.
      Saturday, December 1 at St. Lawrence. 7:00 p.m.
      Friday, December 7 UNION 7:00 p.m.
      Saturday, December 8 RENSSELAER 7:00 p.m.
      Sunday, December 30 at Ledyard Bank Classic vs. Providence College, Hanover, NH 4:00 p.m.
      Monday, December 31 at Ledyard Bank Classic vs. Army West Point, Hanover, NH 4:00 p.m.
      Friday, January 4 at Three Rivers Classic vs. Robert Morris, Pittsburgh, PA TBA
      Saturday, January 5 at Three Rivers Classic vs.St. Cloud State or Union, Pittsburgh, PA TBA
      Tuesday, January 15 PROVIDENCE COLLEGE (33rd Mayor’s Cup Game) 7:00 p.m.
      Friday, January 18 ST. LAWRENCE 7:00 p.m.
      Saturday, January 19 CLARKSON 7:00 p.m.
      Friday, January 25 at Rensselaer 7:00 p.m.
      Saturday, January 26 at Union 7:00 p.m.
      Saturday, February 2 at Yale 7:00 p.m.
      Friday, February 8 at Princeton 7:00 p.m.
      Saturday, February 9 at Quinnipiac 7:00 p.m.
      Friday, February 15 CORNELL 7:00 p.m.
      Saturday, February 16 COLGATE 7:00 p.m.
      Friday, February 22 at Harvard 7:00 p.m.
      Saturday, February 23 at Dartmouth 7:00 p.m.
      Friday, March 1 QUINNIPIAC 7:00 p.m.
      Saturday, March 2 PRINCETON 7:00 p.m.
      LET'S GO BRUNO!

Comment

Hello everyone! It might be a little early for it, but I'm pumped, so I've kicked off this year's ECAC Pick the Standings contest! If you are somehow new here, it's a super simple game where you just predict the standings and whoever is closest wins like $1000 gets to brag about it in their signature forever. Join in!
        RPI Pep Band
        GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
        🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
        2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
        2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Just popping in to advertise the ECAC Pick the Standings contest again. It's a super simple game that takes like 1 minute of thought to play. Entrance is allowed through the first ECAC matches at the end of the month, but feel free to make a guess now and revise later. Thanks!
          RPI Pep Band
          🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

Comment

Plugging the ECAC Pick the Standings contest again. All you have to do is guess what the final standings will be! Entries close in a couple weeks when the puck drops on the conference slate. Thanks!
            RPI Pep Band
            🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
              Seems like last year's thread has been sent to the void. Alas! Captains were announced today, so it's a good time to hit refresh and start anew. Marchin, Gottlieb, and Giuttari seem like wise picks, and they're also three of our better players in my very humble opinion.

https://brownbears.com/news/2018/9/1...r-2018-19.aspx

Not sure what to expect out of this group, but it's a contract year for Brendan Whittet, so it'll be interesting to see if he makes some bold moves in the interest of securing a contract extension.
              Whatever moves the head coach makes will be designed to continue to improve the program. Whittet's commitment to Brown hockey and, indeed, to his Alma Mater, is unparalleled.

James Marcou is an excellent addition to the coaching staff. Very articulate young man, with a positive attitude and tremendous hockey knowledge. He complements Whittet and (Assistant Coach) Jason Guerriero extremely well.

The three coaches have been on the road for much of the past month and a half, identifying players and securing commitments. Neither is easy at Brown particularly when admissions standards are so stringent.

This team appears to be more cohesive than last year. The leadership is solid, and there has been good integration between the veterans and the first-years. The 2018-2019 Bears will be a small but fast team, with solid defense and goaltending. The first weekend (games against Yale and Vermont at home) will tell how much the program has advanced since last winter.

Finally, my preference would be to discuss the team and to avoid speculating about the coach's contract at this point in time.

Comment

Probably the second-to-last time that I'll spam the ECAC Pick the Standings contest. Only one week remains until the first ECAC contest of the season, so get your picks (or revisions) in soon!
                RPI Pep Band
                🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

Comment

Brown beat Princeton, 3-1, and tied Yale, 2-2, in the round-robin scrimmages over the weekend. From Mark Divver's Twitter account: "Looks like smallest @BrownMensHockey team in a few years, but they are quick. As always, goaltending will be key"

Quick is good – we've been run out of the building by fast teams over the past few years. Our top six has usually been fine, but the bottom six has, at times, been out-paced. If we can roll four speedy, skilled lines we might be able to out-skate some of the slower, more methodical teams on the schedule (Clarkson, Dartmouth, RPI, etc.). Explosiveness can make all the difference in the world if you can harness it well.

We return a good amount of experience on defense, as well as a nice mix of size and skill, and I'm hoping that'll be a strength of the team – though I've said similar things in recent years to no avail. Kania looked very promising at times last year, but also had some underwhelming performances. If he can find some consistency in his game, I have to expect he'll get the starting nod over Nieto and the freshman. I remember reading last year that the average save percentage in college hockey hovers are .905 (as opposed to ~.915 in the NHL). Kania finished at a respectable .902 last year. If he can get that up to, say, .910, that should buy us a couple more wins right off the bat.

Still not sure what a reasonable expectation of this team is. It's a young group. Hoping to see visible signs of progress, even if the results aren't quite there yet.

Comment

Some news: http://bit.ly/2ysPQQw

That’s an extremely generous gift! But the most interesting bit of info in there, to me, is that the university seems to have plans to renovate and upgrade Meehan to bring it up to par with some of our rivals. They redid the foyer and locker rooms in 2003, so I can’t imagine those would change much, but I wonder if they’ll replace the antiquated seats and add a real video board, along with more practical things like new bathrooms.

Comment

In 24 hours, the first matches of the conference schedule will be over and you will no longer be able to enter the ECAC Pick the Standings contest (or change your picks if you already entered). It takes very little time to enter, so head on over to the thread and make your pick!
                      RPI Pep Band
                      🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

Comment

0-3-1 through four games, but I have to say I've been very impressed by our defense so far (though I didn't get to watch the Cornell game). While we could stand to improve our defensive zone exits, as there has been some chaos at times trying to move the puck up ice, overall I've seen a great improvement in how we limit shooting/passing lanes, force attackers to the outside, and clear the crease. Scoring has obviously been an issue, but the defense has kept us in every game we've played so far and that's great. Over the past few years, when things have gone wrong we've been blown out. This year, we really could've won any of the first three games (I would even argue that we should have and deserved to win each of those games). We'll see how the goaltending holds up – that's been a major question mark in recent seasons. But I'm quietly encouraged by the defense to date, and I think they'll be able to keep us competitive in most games. And remember, this is for the most part a very inexperienced lineup.

The bigger news, perhaps, is the women's team off to a rousing 5-2 start, including upsets of top-10 opponents this past weekend in #10 Colgate/#6 Cornell! Great to see that program making some noise after many dark years. I hope they can keep it up. Digit Murphy's excellent teams in the late '90s and early '00s were thrilling to watch.

Comment

You guys could have beaten Gate very easily, not sure about Cornell.
                          It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Nice article on Max Gottlieb: http://www.nyhockeyjournal.com/nyhoc...ticleId1439498

Gottlieb has always been one of my favorites to watch throughout his time at Brown. He's a very skilled player who skates well and contributes in all three zones. One of our better offensive defensemen in recent memory.

Comment

Great look at what's going on with the women: http://www.providencejournal.com/spo...nder-new-coach

Comment

Working...
                              X