2020 DIII Coaching Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 DIII Coaching Changes

Finlandia is looking for a new head coach. Matt Marchel had completed his fifth season leading the team this month.

Cortland is looking for a new assistant for the third time in three seasons. The last multi-season assistant for the Red Dragons was Elmira standout Brooke Wilgosh. They're listing for a part-time assistant.

Nichols and debut program Western New England have postings for Grad Assistants.

Re: 2020 DIII Coaching Changes

Potsdam's Jay Green announced his retirement.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
      Potsdam's Jay Green announced his retirement.
      Whoever takes that inherits a decent sized class largely from western NY.

Comment

Johnson & Wales posted their HC position. Jessica Salisbury had just finished her first season as head coach after two as an assistant under Natalie Zitek.

Comment

Plymouth very quietly fired Mykul Haun. Not sure what happened there but they'll never find someone else who is as vested in the program as he was.

Comment

So far it looks like Finlandia, Johnson and Wales, and Plymouth State, and soon to come Lake Forest I hear, are looking for coaches. Question for the group: Is Western New England the only school starting to compete in the upcoming 20-21 season? I see Arcadia and Stonehill are setting up for 21-22 season. Am I missing some schools?

Comment

Originally posted by DDad16 View Post
              So far it looks like Finlandia, Johnson and Wales, and Plymouth State, and soon to come Lake Forest I hear, are looking for coaches. Question for the group: Is Western New England the only school starting to compete in the upcoming 20-21 season? I see Arcadia and Stonehill are setting up for 21-22 season. Am I missing some schools?
              Answering my own question, here... Lawrence is another school that is starting play next season. Any others I am missing?

Comment

With the global pandemic still ongoing until who knows when, why would any school hire anybody right now when they really can't be sure if there will be any hockey next season yet. D3 schools are in a position to save money right now on everything including salaries for vacant positions.

Comment

Former Potsdam standout and NWHL signee Jordan Ott will take over as head coach of the King's squad. She was previously the head softball coach and assistant SID at her alma mater Potsdam, serving as a volunteer assistant for her former team.
                  Last edited by Scott_TG; 05-01-2020, 01:00 PM.

Comment

JWU announces new coach: https://providence.jwuathletics.com/...20200511jpzcwv

Comment

A friend of mine had a daughter who played for the new Finlandia coach in the States and it would appear Finlandia didn't bother to check all of her USA Hockey Safe Sport violations and suspensions.

Comment

Originally posted by Bradz View Post
                        A friend of mine had a daughter who played for the new Finlandia coach in the States and it would appear Finlandia didn't bother to check all of her USA Hockey Safe Sport violations and suspensions.
                        She might have been the only person that would accept that job. Who in the world would want to take that job to begin with?! That's probably the worst college coaching job of any women's hockey coaching jobs.

What kind of violations and suspensions are you talking about? Her bio says that she was previously the coach at Coeur d'Alene. Was it at that job? Did she get fired?
                        Last edited by shelfit; 05-14-2020, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Anyone know what's going on with Plymouth? Heard they had final interviews a couple of weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by GTOWN View Post
                            Anyone know what's going on with Plymouth? Heard they had final interviews a couple of weeks ago.
                            Does it really matter honestly? Whoever they hire will be "equally as successful" as their predecessors, just like other low-end programs like NEC, King's, Finlandia, and all the others with similar historically losing records. Some programs just seemed predestined to lose overall no matter who their coaches are. The same holds true at the D1 level. The programs that were bad when I was a player are still bad now with very few exceptions or fluctuations, if any. The coaches that have come and gone out of all these programs haven't really made much of a difference because the schools/athletic departments/athletic directors don't really understand women's hockey or know how to truly support women's hockey. They don't really get the fact that there aren't the same number of kids playing girls hockey as there are playing softball or soccer or lacrosse or basketball or volleyball or track & field or swimming & diving, etc. Look at how common those sports are for girls in high schools across the country as well as travel programs compared to high school and travel hockey. Those other sports are much easier to recruit for because there are more than enough quality athletes in those sports to feed all the college programs that have those sports. In fact, there are so many girls in those sports that college coaches can be much more selective. Women's hockey does not have similar numbers so there is much less selectivity. Look at all the college hockey teams that can't even seem to fill their rosters year after year let alone recruit better quality hockey players at the same time. There are reasons for that. This isn't rocket science. Schools/athletic departments with low-end women's hockey programs have to learn more about our sport in order to make internal changes to support their programs and attract more and better quality hockey players but I guess it's much easier for them to just rotate new coaches in every few years and give their student-athletes a false sense of hope for the immediate future.
                            Last edited by shelfit; 05-15-2020, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GTOWN View Post
                              A know a lot of schools, especially state schools, have a hiring freeze right now. For obvious reasons.
                              Russell Jaslow
                              [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                              U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Working...
                              X