Harvard Crimson (again) 2018-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harvard Crimson (again) 2018-19

Well, we have to try again to establish a lasting thread, and maybe this latest digital phone booth for the legion of Crimson fans out there won’t vanish into a forum cloud that only an archivist could love. I’ll endorse Veritas’s most recent thread’s onward and upward theme, but also want to distill the best of the original 2018 thread, where BCAlum said keep your eyes on Petrie and Reed. (How these eagles can see talent west of the Housatonic is beyond me, but I’m grateful.) This freshman class did indeed have something to say in the win over Dartmouth (Petrie scored, Reed saved) and I dare say Stone did too, with so much freshmen ice time. What was missing? How about play-by-play? I don’t know what other screen viewers experience, but Harvard hockey coverage is maddening. Everything is “color”: whose father played intramural golf? whose uncle played seventy-two games for the Madawaska Blue Bonnets? God forbid you should follow the line combos, the D-pairings , PP/PK skaters, who did or didn’t make that pass, to say nothing of see and call the penalties These are reasonable observations to expect in any game, especially the first one of the season, when that’s all the fan wants to know. Fleeting glimpses of new jersey numbers don’t tell the story playing out in front of your eyes; doubly so when your ears are full of blather. Callers are supposed to be calling the game for those WHO ARE NOT THERE! Enough. I should know better by now; it’s a given. I have to write a memo to self to watch more out-of-conference games to see if there is real play-by-play somewhere. (Brown’s Mike someone is the only standout I know in the ECAC. Brown, for Pete’s sake!) My take-aways from the first game, at an unnecessarily great digital distance, were (1) thank God for the freshmen, who will bring out the latent talent in some of their elders, and (2) where was Gilmore? Bottom line: we’re due, and we're coming along . . . and it’s great to watch women’s hockey again.
    Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 10-19-2018, 11:53 PM.

Re: Harvard Crimson (again) 2018-19

ThirdTime's -
    Thanks for restarting a Harvard Women's thread. I started threads for both the Harvard men and women back in mid-July and for unknown reasons the women's thread vanished into internet limbo.

I was at the game yesterday and was pleased to see great work by both veterans and the new freshmen. One of the frosh, Lindsay Reed did a great job in goal stopping 25 of the 26 shots by Dartmouth. She is quite tall, 6'0", agile and very very quick. She will be an asset going forward. Another frosh, Kristen Della Rovere. Kristin hails from Caledon, a Toronto suburb adjacent to Brampton, ON. She is tall and strong, not afraid to skate the puck through heavy traffic on the ice. I always thought that Bradley Fusco was a very quick and fast skater and she seems, if possible, faster this year. She did pick up a hooking minor. She always was a bit prone to penalties. All three goals were scored by freshmen, one goal from Anne Bloomer and two goals from Dominique Petrie.
    With what I saw from the freshmen it looks like it will develop into a good year.

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas View Post
      With what I saw from the freshmen it looks like it will develop into a good year.
      It’s nice to have eyes at the rink, esp. since there might be fewer opportunities for me this season. When the on-air guys did pay attention to the game the name Della Rovere came up a lot, so I’m glad to hear from you that she’ll likely be a real presence on the ice. Also nice to get your take on Reed. We may well get contributions from all the newcomers this year . . . stranger things have happened. And yes, Fusco’s speed and drive make her relentless; she’s really come into her own these last two years. (Btw, any chance you can do a remote audio from Bright? All you’ll need is permission from the Ivy League, ESPN and probably Walt Disney himself.)

Comment

Yes, the new class of '22 looks like they may be a shot in the arm. Large group, lots of talent. Wonder what factors went into the downs and ups of the Norms or Fates who run Admissions over the past few years? The new class and the current sophomore class are the kind of classes you wish they had been getting all along (only 4 still on the roster from '20, 5 from '19 and earlier, for a total of 9 upperclassmen).

I know what thirdtime's means about the content of the announcing. Northeastern has had spectacular broadcast crews the few times I've heard them. Not only did they knowledgeably analyze their own team in terms of those important aspects of the game that thirdtime's mentions, they had scouted the opposing team thoroughly and provided similarly acute commentary about their opponents!

I won't say anything bad about ESPN+ that might jinx me with them, though: at the beginning of football season I wasn't able to navigate their replay system and must give a tip of the hat to Imry Halevi who heads up Harvard's video programming for pointing me to one of the multiple ways of searching that actually works. For a while I thought the Ivy League had switched to a platform that was only streaming live (gulp!). For an example of how not to find archived games, click on Watch, click on ESPN+, type in Harvard and it says there is only one archived Harvard sports event! (One correct path to archived games is to click on Watch/click on Schedule and Replays/click on Replays/select the date of the game/ scroll down to the sport and scroll down in reverse chronological order based on when the game concluded. There are other correct paths). Oh, and BEWARE: Imry said that ESPN has been waffling about how long they are going to archive games: 30 days, 90 days, who knows?

Comment

By the way, on a "Where are they now" note:
          Chelsea Zadie graduated in June but her mother, Debbie Doyle, was at the game Friday cheering for Harvard, having made the trek from Montreal. She tells me that Chelsea is in NYC working as a financial advisor for Morgan Stanley. She said that Chelsea is also playing for the Riveters in the NWHL and enjoying it.

Comment

Originally posted by Watson Rink View Post
            I know what thirdtime's means about the content of the announcing. Northeastern has had spectacular broadcast crews the few times I've heard them. Not only did they knowledgeably analyze their own team in terms of those important aspects of the game that thirdtime's mentions, they had scouted the opposing team thoroughly and provided similarly acute commentary about their opponents!

I won't say anything bad about ESPN+ that might jinx me with them, though: at the beginning of football season I wasn't able to navigate their replay system and must give a tip of the hat to Imry Halevi who heads up Harvard's video programming for pointing me to one of the multiple ways of searching that actually works. For a while I thought the Ivy League had switched to a platform that was only streaming live (gulp!). For an example of how not to find archived games, click on Watch, click on ESPN+, type in Harvard and it says there is only one archived Harvard sports event! (One correct path to archived games is to click on Watch/click on Schedule and Replays/click on Replays/select the date of the game/ scroll down to the sport and scroll down in reverse chronological order based on when the game concluded. There are other correct paths). Oh, and BEWARE: Imry said that ESPN has been waffling about how long they are going to archive games: 30 days, 90 days, who knows?
            My personal favorite broadcasts are Vermont and Northeastern. Very knowledgeable on both teams, and the game itself. Quinnipiac, Colgate, SLU, and Clarkson are good as well. Overall, the coverage (camera work and play by play) has gotten much better. Only a few programs have lagged, but it is frustrating when you get stuck watching one.
            "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

If we’re going to get excited about this team this year we have to be encouraged by one-goal losses to ranked teams this past weekend, whatever the actual play on the ice may have shown (which I don’t know since both circumstance and ESPN conspired against my knowing). I think this young team really needs to take their show on the road this week and mind their Qs and Ps. They can do it. [Bulletin board material: #7 pre-season ECAC ]

Btw, more power to you DC78-82 if you can find respectable announcers. I guess I need to cast a wider net. Why people who profess an interest in the games I watch are so indifferent to calling them is beyond me. Chattiness vies with somnolence. Happy is he/she who experiences the exception.

Comment

It's early, but she seems to be a keeper:

https://www.gocrimson.com/sports/wic...20181029i2qq7d
                Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 10-30-2018, 09:20 PM.

Comment

What an auspicious start for Reed! And coming so close against two top-quality opponents augurs well as well. But let's hope it's not like the recent 5-win season when they had what, 10+ one-goal losses, many of them in overtime. Don't think that will ever happen again, though.

Glad to hear about Clarkson's current strength in the broadcasting booth. May be commensurate with their success on the ice. In contrast, a few years ago there was a game broadcast with audio but without any announcers and the only things you heard were the referees' calls and, oh yes, that ****ed choo=choo train whistle when they scored!

Comment

Originally posted by Watson Rink View Post
                    What an auspicious start for Reed! . . . But let's hope it's not like the recent 5-win season when they had what, 10+ one-goal losses, many of them in overtime.
                    Two years ago Harvard went 0-5-5 in OT! Not this year.
                    Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 11-01-2018, 07:28 PM.

Comment

How good can this team be? With the usual delayed start to game competition, it's a bit of an unknown, but I get the sense that the team is improved, but how much?
                      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by d2d View Post
                        how good can this team be? With the usual delayed start to game competition, it's a bit of an unknown, but i get the sense that the team is improved, but how much?
                        tbd

Comment

I guess the best take on the Crimson after this weekend is to acknowledge that this is early in year two of a three year rebuilding program This is a core collection of talented individuals not yet playing as a team.

Playmaking was very ragged in Hamden, despite some flashy individual efforts, but the game was essentially a goalies’ clinic in both nets, with Reed taking the loss after being screened on the PPG. Control and tempo were better in the first two periods of the Princeton game (ESPN swallowed the third period), and there was the bonus of Petrie’s penalty shot. (Let’s keep Bloomer, Petrie and Gilmore together!) We have two strong D, but you need four in this league; I’d go with potential over experience in this department. We should also practice something called a “power play.” Other teams seem to have one.

All this opinion is informed by the unique perspective provided by video feeds that feel like something from out of the fifties. In the flesh, at the rink, one is more humble.

Comment

It’s showtime Crimsonites! I’m not sure how a shoot-around with Holy Cross prepares a team to face the Badgers, but, hey, it’s happening. Cringe if you must, but don’t look the other way. For those few of us not making the trip to Madison we can count on getting an unvarnished status report on this still-in-the-making Harvard team from the seasoned eyes at La Bahn. Seems to me no one follows both benches in a game quite like WCHA fans, merciless but honest. (We only get that back here, occasionally, with that guy from the Heights.) Think of this series as a late November boot camp, where everyone will come away having learned something, like it or not. So, I’m looking forward to this weekend as a not-so-disguised blessing for this particular Crimson team to have now, something like one hundred twenty minutes of teachable moments. They need this before moving on. There’s no other way to put it.
                            Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 11-23-2018, 07:12 AM.

Comment

Charming post, thirdtime's . . . good luck!
                              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Working...
                              X