Penn Quakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Penn Quakers

With all the fun of conference realignment I’ll just put this here.

Penn club hockey announces endowment with an eye towards eventual varsity transition

https://www.thedp.com/article/2019/07/penn-hockey-endowment-club-ice-varsity-bonachea-siegel-alumni-ivy-league-ncaa

Ok so if you read the article there is no official university support. It’s just some alumni trying to get it going. They say it’s a ten year goal and they’re trying to build momentum. The stadium isn’t the problem though. There are apparently some upcoming renovations that will supposedly make the current one D1 ready. That is usually the hardest part. So yeah in reality this isn’t different than a lot of club teams wishing for D1.

I guess I’ll hit the ten year snooze button to see if the east will ever feel the west’s realignment pain...

Re: Penn Quakers

How bad could it ever get out east? An Ivy/Non-Ivy ECAC split would be about as simple and consequence-free of a shift as you could see.

Two autobid sized conferences form, it’s not like there’s a delicate balance of huge and tiny programs there as it is… there really isn’t anything analogous to the nWCHA/NCHC/B1G dichotomies that exist out west.

What’s the worst that happens there, the ECAC poaches an AHA school or two?
    Last edited by ExileOnDaytonStreet; 07-09-2019, 09:36 PM.
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Class of '23 was a D1 barn back in the 70s. I saw a 12-10 game there in 1976.

----

If the ECAC split occurs, the Empire Collegiate Hockey Conference will form. Quinny can go to HEA.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by slowe View Post
        Penn club hockey announces endowment with an eye towards eventual varsity transition

https://www.thedp.com/article/2019/0...vy-league-ncaa

Ok so if you read the article there is no official university support. It’s just some alumni trying to get it going. They say it’s a ten year goal and they’re trying to build momentum. The stadium isn’t the problem though. There are apparently some upcoming renovations that will supposedly make the current one D1 ready. That is usually the hardest part. So yeah in reality this isn’t different than a lot of club teams wishing for D1.
        "As described in Siegel and Bonachea’s plan, originally entitled ‘Vision 2025’, in order to reach D-I status, the Quakers will first have to file an application to play in the American Collegiate Hockey Association’s Division I, then move up to the NCAA ranks. Most teams begin in D-III before moving to D-I as an Independent before joining a conference."

I don't know if Siegel and Bonachea are purposely lying, but every part of those sentences is wrong. The writer of the article should have done a little research instead of just accepting what others wrote at face value.

Sean Pickett
        Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
        Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
        BU Hockey highlights and extras
        NCAA Hockey Financials
        Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
        I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

With all the fun of conference realignment I’ll just put this here.

https://www.thedp.com/article/2019/0...vy-league-ncaa

I guess I’ll hit the ten year snooze button to see if the east will ever feel the west’s realignment pain...
          I don't understand what you are getting at.

The Ivy League schools right now can break away and form their own auto-bid conference. They already have six teams. They don't need Penn to trigger anything. The Ivy League has said many, many, many times they have no desire to do this.

So, the only thing Penn would trigger is an ECAC expansion where they look for another team to keep their numbers even (can you say RIT?).
          Russell Jaslow
          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
          U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            Class of '23 was a D1 barn back in the 70s. I saw a 12-10 game there in 1976.

----

If the ECAC split occurs, the Empire Collegiate Hockey Conference will form. Quinny can go to HEA.
            I was there also. The Clarkson dmen that game were like pylons on the ice with Penn skating all around and past them.
            Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
            And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
            WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
            If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
              The Ivy League has said many, many, many times they have no desire to do this.
              Have they said it many many many times? Not that I’ve been paying huge amounts of attention to this, but I’ve only ever seen rando college hockey fans on the Internet say this.

And even then, I don’t even know if rando fans on the Internet have bothered to back it up with anything. Maybe saying that they talked to a coach or a booster about it, but certainly no one with actual authority on the matter.

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                I don't understand what you are getting at.

The Ivy League schools right now can break away and form their own auto-bid conference. They already have six teams. They don't need Penn to trigger anything. The Ivy League has said many, many, many times they have no desire to do this.

So, the only thing Penn would trigger is an ECAC expansion where they look for another team to keep their numbers even (can you say RIT?).
                I’m not sure what would happen. A 13 or 14 team ECAC seems unwieldy. That would shrink the out of conference games and scheduling would be tough. I don’t see the current Ivies leaving Penn as independent and while possible, I doubt they’d be ok with them joining the Atlantic or another conference. Penn starting D1 might tip the Ivies into leaving the ECAC. They haven’t left as of now because a 6 team conference is too small and it doesn’t get them anything.

If the Ivies did split off, I’m sure some Atlantic schools would lobby to join the ECAC. It would cause some temporary chaos, but I’d think everyone would have a home so no huge deal. Just a lot of fans complaining about change.

All this said I think the current amount raised was ridiculously small so this won’t be a thing in the near future if ever. Just fun speculation.

Comment

You can all but guarantee the ivies would push for Columbia to join up with Penn to make 8. I don’t think the ivies mind being in this current version of the ECAC with good academic schools but they’d much rather form their own league.

Comment

Originally posted by techtodenver View Post
                    You can all but guarantee the ivies would push for Columbia to join up with Penn to make 8. I don’t think the ivies mind being in this current version of the ECAC with good academic schools but they’d much rather form their own league.
                    Although they often labelled themselves as the 'Ancient Eight,' even if a Penn varsity hit the ice in '25, I can't imagine Columbia ever exploring hockey. They lack a facility, and given the reality of life on CU's very compact campus and the price tag for a facility anywhere in Manhattan , I just don't think that will happen. If you think they could add something up by Wien Stadium (football), there's just not enough room.

BU/Penn hockey: fond memories of Bob Crocker.

Comment

Originally posted by techtodenver View Post
                      I think the current version of the ECAC has a good mix of schools with the necessary focus on academics. Just take a look at the number of student/athletes maintaining a GPA above 3.0 at some pretty tough schools. https://www.ecachockey.com/men/2018-...ease_-_Men.pdf

Comment

I’m not sure what would happen. A 13 or 14 team ECAC seems unwieldy. That would shrink the out of conference games and scheduling would be tough. I don’t see the current Ivies leaving Penn as independent and while possible, I doubt they’d be ok with them joining the Atlantic or another conference. Penn starting D1 might tip the Ivies into leaving the ECAC. They haven’t left as of now because a 6 team conference is too small and it doesn’t get them anything.

If the Ivies did split off, I’m sure some Atlantic schools would lobby to join the ECAC. It would cause some temporary chaos, but I’d think everyone would have a home so no huge deal. Just a lot of fans complaining about change.

All this said I think the current amount raised was ridiculously small so this won’t be a thing in the near future if ever. Just fun speculation.
                        All good points and all possibilities.
                        Russell Jaslow
                        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Berkshire BU Fan View Post
                          ...BU/Penn hockey: fond memories of Bob Crocker.
                          Bob Crocker built the Penn program to a point where it had become something of a national power in the few years of its existence before being unceremoniously, and with little warning, "terminated--with extreme prejudice" in the middle of the 77-78 season. I still remember Penn playing out the season with the "Penn" name on their jerseys covered over. It was not a pretty sight. And to their everlasting credit, those players didn't just roll over and hold a pity party. They played with an edge and give it everything they had right to the end.

One of the things I found striking in the "Pennsylvanian" article is that the Penn Hockey people and the AD seem to be singing from two totally different sheets of music. The hockey interests say the endowment is for D1 varsity hockey while the AD seems to imply that it's to support the existing club program.

So don't hold your breath waiting for the return of Penn hockey. But that being said, Penn does not lack for deep pocketed, influential, and consequential alumni. If enough of them want varsity hockey, it likely would happen.

Columbia remains very much a longshot. Facility issues explained in an earlier post plus a pervasive and historical indifference toward intercollegiate athletics.
                          Last edited by Split-N; 07-11-2019, 12:18 PM.
                          "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

$20,000 down, $49,980,000 to go!!
                            bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                            SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                            All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                            A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

They have a rink. It’s (separately from the endowment) getting a renovation.

Do people really think that $50M is required here?

Comment

Working...
                              X