Minnesota State: Take the Next Step 2019-2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minnesota State: Take the Next Step 2019-2020

Season tickets are in our hands, the season is about to begin. Only one regular from last year's team has graduated, so there is plenty of experience coming back. Drop the puck!
    My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Re: Minnesota State: Take the Next Step 2019-2020

Expectations for Freshmen? Everyone's high on Smith, but is anyone hearing anything about the others?

Among the returners, Spooner made a big impression in Pittsburgh this summer. Who else do you think is poised to have a big year?

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
      Expectations for Freshmen? Everyone's high on Smith, but is anyone hearing anything about the others?

Among the returners, Spooner made a big impression in Pittsburgh this summer. Who else do you think is poised to have a big year?
      I'm familiar with Smith's fellow Floridian Lucas Sowder, and think he could contribute early. It will all depend on how the undersized F transitions to the college game, as is usually the case.

Comment

Originally posted by FLHockeyMom View Post
        I'm familiar with Smith's fellow Floridian Lucas Sowder, and think he could contribute early. It will all depend on how the undersized F transitions to the college game, as is usually the case.
        Consistency in Smith’s game is going to be key. Incredible talent, particularly his skating ability.

Ryan Sandelin contributing early wouldn’t shock me as well.

The team knows that this is the year to move the program forward. It was talked about all summer, Coach Hastings mentioned it multiple times at various events, it’s fun to win so many games, but the goal is to win a national championship, not just the WCHA anymore.

(If you told me I could accurately type those expectations above 10 years ago, I would’ve laughed. Crazy how far the program has come.)
        AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Single game tickets go on sale today, so get your October 18-19 tickets before "they" do.

Comment

Well, here we go! I'm still not happy with 6:00 start times, though.
            My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Hey, now I remember why I don’t like playing these Canadian colleges!

Comment

Imagine filling out a lineup card with this squad. Hastings has a stable of talent like we haven’t seen. Really good players will be sitting on a nightly basis. Managing player expectations and morale will be an inherent challenge. I even wonder if we’ll see some consistent swapping of 4th line combos on almost a rotational basis until there’s a big enough sample size. Here’s a wild stab.

Tuomie - Michaelis - Gerard
                Van Os Shaw - Spooner - Smith
                Gerads - Jaremko - Lutz
                Rivera - French - Duehr
                Sowder

Mackey - McNeely
                Zmolek - Scheid
                Aamodt - Hookenson

McKay
                Stauber
                Last edited by MSUMaverickFan; 10-08-2019, 02:03 AM.

Comment

Any injury updates? I was hoping to get a look at lines at the Mt. Royal game, but the injuries kept a lot of guys out of the lineup. I was very impressed by Spooner. He was good last year, but may be ready to take it to another level this year. Jaremko looked much better than he did last October. I'm convinced he was hurt at the start of last year, but tried to play through it. Zmolek and Mackey both looked ready.

I thought Sowder really stood out among the freshman. Sandelin and Malinowski were good also, but not as noticeable. I agree that there are several good players who are going to be scratched every week. I'm starting to wonder about the possibility of some redshirts.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                    I agree that there are several good players who are going to be scratched every week. I'm starting to wonder about the possibility of some redshirts.
                    Id be surprised if any did because they are already 20 in most cases and I don't think they want to be here til they are 30 haha and also I think it's well know that if you are performing you start. Hastings track record sets as much. If they want ice time all they have to do is earn it. He doesn't seem to care what your history is. So that's a solid incentive for the older guys to keep at it and it keeps the new guys pushing.

My biggest concern is goaltending. We have had stellar freshman before and they went into sophomore slumps. I'd hoping to avoid that because we start out of the gate with 4 big games.

Any prediction on record for this year. I looked at the schedule and on a whim got 26-8-2
                    All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity. - Gordie Howe

Minnesota State Mankato Mavericks

Comment

Well, it’s finally here.

This season’s success will be based 100% on whether the Mavs earn their first NCAA tournament win or not. Time to take the next step and win in March. The team knows it. It’s got depth and experience, tons of talent, and the best roster in school history.

Can it be the best team in school history?
                      AF 99

Comment

No Tuomie or Rivera tonight.

Sowder and Sandelin in.
                        AF 99

Comment

Good start. Sluggish and a little bit clunky at times, but as the game work on they got better and better. Michaelis is phenomenal. Hope he can make a serious run at a Hobey Baker top 10 or even 3 season. He’s talented enough and has the ceiling to produce fantastic numbers. McKay looked great, and the Mavs did a good job sticking to their game and being patient with it.
                          AF 99

Comment

Good start. I was unable to make it to the game and unfortunately it was unwatchable on the msu channel because it had an awful picture ( not sure if anyone else has this issue) but what I did see looked solid. It's a good start. Id agree that this is there most talented team we have ever had. Not sure I can remember a time where we had 4 lines with players who all could be on the top line any other year. Time will tell though. That squad from a few years back and got us they overall 1 seed was pretty deep too
                            Last edited by MavsFan19; 10-12-2019, 08:56 AM.
                            All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity. - Gordie Howe

Minnesota State Mankato Mavericks

Comment

Congrats on the W. This season's Mav team is extremely talented and IMO will have a legit shot at the F4.

Comment

Working...
                              X