Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just got a call from the head honcho to take one of the students from another group. The other instructor and I talk all the time and we help each other strategize dealing with difficult situations. I have been telling her she needs to deal with this kid for weeks and encouraging her to bring it to the head honcho because what she is telling me is unsafe. He already had 2 written warnings in 6 weeks as well as a bunch of other things not written up. She finally went to the head honcho. The response? The student feels 'targeted' so they want to give the instructor a break and make sure he 'gets a fair shot'. The instructor had way more patience than I would have had. I would have booted him weeks ago.

So she asked. I said no. I am maxed already. (We have had zero support, zero guidance and I just got my students all on the same page.) She blithely ignores that I said no, proceeds to tell me that they will pull another student from me and give me this person. I said no again. She says she will tell the coordinator to arrange things, OK? I said no again. And I asked her how she was going to deal with it if I boot the kid. From what I had been hearing I would have kicked him out way before my colleague did and I have been encouraging her for weeks to go to head honcho.

She tells me this is why we (instructors) shouldn't talk to each other because it caused bias. I responded that I didn't know the kid's name but we help each other and talking things out has helped me help the students. (not to mention that we are supposed to have a support person and there is no one who is assigned to us). She talks right over me and says she could not assign him to me if I couldn't have an open mind and it wouldn't be fair to the student because I had preconceived notions that would be detrimental to the student.

I am beside myself. The stuff this kid has done is really beyond the pale- flunking all 3 parts of the class. They are flunking the other class in the major. Instead of accountability the implication is both the other instructor and I are being unreasonable. You are going to take the word of a student over that of a well seasoned instructor and then try to fob it off on another one. Not to mention the student is working under our license. So done. I might actually really retire.

Oh, and this is less than 2 days after being told that that this head honcho admitted that they shouldn't have run this class, it was a big mistake, that we should not be trying to make people pass. We should be flunking those who needed to flunk. That lasted long.
    Last edited by leswp1; 03-11-2021, 07:56 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
      One reason I'm glad I don't manage anyone is the thought of writing reviews would make me nuts. I have a hard enough time doing my own. Also, reviews and development plans are separate in our company. Development plans give me even more stress than reviews. They're really big on "growth mindset" here. And while I find that interesting and a really nice thing to provide to employees, I don't want to "grow." I'm doing the thing I want to do in this company. I also started looking at it in a different way. My role has changed multiple times as our department focus has changed and evolved after multiple reorgs. I think that shows growth - that I was able to adapt and not really miss a beat. I really need to find a way to promote that for myself.

And some good news for me today - I put on a light sweatshirt cuz it was a little chilly this morning and found $0.36 in the pocket!! HA!!
      Speaking of which, I had my review today (knew it coming soon, but didn't know when). This is only the second review of me written by my current boss. Last year, he flat out said he was still learning the process of everything; Last year's "Cliff notes" were 3/4 page long, this year it was a 1/4 page long. The improvement in clarity and terseness showed (in a good way).

We get along great, because we cut the sh* and speak frankly (and respectfully) to each other. Some cussing and clarifying? All in the same discussion.

Overall, same review. Only place I dropped a little was productivity rate, but that is also because business at my particular building has slowed a little, due to shortages on some products (PPE, paper, and disposable dinnerware: think COVID demands from healthcare and service industries). Either way, got the max "cost of living" raise, and due to me being maxed out for wages at my position, I am now getting a yearly bonus. It's not much, but hey, I will take it.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Good morning to tLodge!
        Quinnipiac Bobcats
        2023 National Champions
        ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
        ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
        East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
        Northeast Regional:
        West Regional: 2015, 2021
        Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
        Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

• Good Morning, MEUSA!

Good Morning to the rest of tLodge!

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Good Evening Lodge!

Watching the NCAA Indoor Championships. Our gal is ranked 4th if they convert from flat track. :: 20 something minutes til she runs. Very exciting! Much more exciting than Hockey. You are either fast or not. (Instead of you may have kids in varying states of C-19 recovery or missing)

Edit- Qualified- 2nd seed. Yeeehaw!
            Last edited by leswp1; 03-12-2021, 09:21 PM.

Comment

• what a miserable week. Next week promises to be more of the same, but I also get to do work overnight tuesday to support a new system downtime procedure I project managed. It'll be nice to get it off my plate at least.

Also, **** is really hitting the fan with regards to the 21st Century Cures Act changes to health info releasing. Jesus we have a lot of angry clinical staff. The law is really clear - no blocking at all (delays = blocking) unless there is the potential for actual harm to the patient, and the definition of that is pretty narrow. Yet some of our docs insist we're exempt. The fines are $1,000,000 per offense, and "offense" is further defined as individual pieces of data.

So you get a bunch of labs drawn at your yearly physical? That might be $45 million in fines if we delay or block it. Do you have an extended hospital stay? Fines could reach the billions if we don't immediately release it all.
              I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post
                what a miserable week. Next week promises to be more of the same, but I also get to do work overnight tuesday to support a new system downtime procedure I project managed. It'll be nice to get it off my plate at least.

Also, **** is really hitting the fan with regards to the 21st Century Cures Act changes to health info releasing. Jesus we have a lot of angry clinical staff. The law is really clear - no blocking at all (delays = blocking) unless there is the potential for actual harm to the patient, and the definition of that is pretty narrow. Yet some of our docs insist we're exempt. The fines are $1,000,000 per offense, and "offense" is further defined as individual pieces of data.

So you get a bunch of labs drawn at your yearly physical? That might be $45 million in fines if we delay or block it. Do you have an extended hospital stay? Fines could reach the billions if we don't immediately release it all.
                That is nuts. If I hadn't already quit- I would be looking at a job in a flower shop. The logistics of trying to keep up with everything, respond to it and deal with the blow back when patients freak because they have no idea what things mean but -- theyhave access to look at it (and are now dying because something is .1 out of range and it is an EMERGENCY!!1!!!1!!!!!)

I have no problem with sharing the info but the people who decided it had to be instantaneous should have budgeted in for lots of extra staff to deal with the crazy - hahahaha! <-- sarcasm

Comment

• Good morning to tLodge!
                  Quinnipiac Bobcats
                  2023 National Champions
                  ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                  ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                  East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
                  Northeast Regional:
                  West Regional: 2015, 2021
                  Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                  Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

• Good Morning, MEUSA!

Good Morning to the rest of tLodge!

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Good evening Lodge. I hugged my mom tonight for the first time in exactly a year. She is two-weeks post second vaccination shot and I was double masked. Not going to lie, I teared up a little.
                      Last edited by Scarlet; 03-13-2021, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Good evening Lodge. I hugged my mom tonight for the first time in exactly a year. She is two-weeks post second vaccination shot and I was double masked. Not going to lie, I teared up a little.
                        <3

Good Evening Lodge!
                        The gal from my school was 4th in the DI mile tonight. All American. So excited for her! ran a full second faster than her best. She is the real deal.

Comment

• Happy Pi day, Lodge!

and the clock is correct because there was no modification for DST.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• *HT with a fiery hot poker. That game was SUCH a disappointment. Congrats les.

Comment

• HHT, although it was a nail-biter that should not have been a nail-biter. Condolences to Scarlet, and congrats to les, also.
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

*HT with a fiery hot poker. That game was SUCH a disappointment. Congrats les.
                                HHT?! That means we get to play the Beagles next. mr les doesn't have enough staff to cover everything so of course one more week, sort of. The Beagles should fix that.

Good Evening Lodge!

Crazy snow squalls then huge winds. The big trees are bending.

Comment

Working...
                                X