Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've effectively garaged my car, as I simply don't drive anywhere. I mostly leave it in the garage except the once every week or so I'll roll it out onto the driveway and let it run for 5-10 minutes. I've only actually driven it somewhere once in the last few months. It's a 2010 with 215k on it, and my girlfriend (who also works remotely full time) has a 2018, so when we go somewhere we use her car.

Incidentally, last February I was faced with a $1400 repair bill on it. It is definitely at that "are you sure you want to fix it? maybe a new car?" stage. I elected to fix it and try to limp through to this spring before buying new. Wow - what a lucky break. No car payment for a car I don't drive anywhere!
    I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• My wife and I have two vehicles, so we rotate them each day for my wife's drive to work, only about four miles, while I work from home. Then we choose which to take for whatever errand depending upon if we need to bring along our daughter. My Subaru Crosstrek is too small to comfortably fit a car seat along with the both of us as I'm 5'11" and she's 6'0".

When I lived at my prior house, and was working downtown, I had to get an oil change every 2-2.5 months. My wife had to get an oil change at roughly the same interval. Right now it's been some four months since we last changed the oil on my Subaru, and there's may 1,000 miles remaining before it's due for another change.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Idling a newer vehicle is not a good thing to do. It's best to go for a 15-30 minute drive to warm everything up and move all the fluid around.
        Quinnipiac Bobcats
        2023 National Champions
        ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
        ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
        East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
        Northeast Regional:
        West Regional: 2015, 2021
        Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
        Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
          Idling a newer vehicle is not a good thing to do. It's best to go for a 15-30 minute drive to warm everything up and move all the fluid around.
          Is 2010 "newer"?

I have no problem driving it around, I just thought that running it for 5-10 minutes would be enough, especially if I moved it so the tires didn't compress weirdly.

I definitely need to change oil on it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post

Is 2010 "newer"?

I have no problem driving it around, I just thought that running it for 5-10 minutes would be enough, especially if I moved it so the tires didn't compress weirdly.

I definitely need to change oil on it.
            It would be best to actually drive it. That gets the transmission and axles up to operating temp, helps keep seals from drying out, and keeps bearings lubricated. Engines aren't designed to idle excessively. It would actually be better to keep it parked and use a battery maintainer than to just idle it for 5 or 10 minutes every week or so. Check your tire pressure too. Temperature changes can make tires lose several PSI.
            Quinnipiac Bobcats
            2023 National Champions
            ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
            Northeast Regional:

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
              It would be best to actually drive it. That gets the transmission and axles up to operating temp, helps keep seals from drying out, and keeps bearings lubricated. Engines aren't designed to idle excessively. It would actually be better to keep it parked and use a battery maintainer than to just idle it for 5 or 10 minutes every week or so. Check your tire pressure too. Temperature changes can make tires lose several PSI.
              Definitely true on the tires' PSI. My tires dropped hard during that frigid spell back in February. Also, it's not healthy for a car just to have "city miles." You need to drive it a highway speeds once in a while, for a decent amount of time, to prevent buildup of stuff (or that is what I learned growing up).
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post

There was some guidance on that early on that never got properly communicated anywhere, but it was that a stop up to Nashua to a store would not be subject to the "normal" pandemic inter-state travel rules.
                Groceries and Pharmacies and a couple of other things are listed as exemptions. Things like Dicks Sporting Goods and Staples are not listed as exempt and thus are subject the the travel rules (as crazy as that sounds)

Comment

• Good morning to tLodge!
                  Quinnipiac Bobcats
                  2023 National Champions
                  Northeast Regional:

Comment

• Good Morning, MEUSA!

Good Morning to the rest of tLodge!

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by The Rube View Post

Every review I've had for the last 6 years, since I got my current position, I've said the same thing. I have found a position that I absolutely love, and the fit is perfect for my personality.
                      When I was working at my old job I think I had a review maybe 3 times in 14+ yrs. I hate reviews. I also was getting pretty much what I wanted out of things and if I asked for more $$ it would giver her an opening to start demanding things I didn't want. The last few yrs things went sideways and she was a complete &^*%&. I think the last review I got, the manager who was not Clinical (and who was subsequently fired) said ridiculous things and gave all sorts of unrealistic expectations. I was not happy and wrote a rebuttal calling her out on stuff. She had me for a song and was still demanding and whining. Reminds me just how blessed I am to be out of that!

Haven't had to do the review thing in in my new job. They always say they are visiting the site but I think in 5 yrs I have had 2 visits. Not complaining. I hate reviews- esp when they won't result in more $$.

Good Evening Lodge!

They just changed the guidelines so vaccinated folk can travel across borders. Yeehaw!

Comment

• Good morning to tLodge!
                        Quinnipiac Bobcats
                        2023 National Champions
                        Northeast Regional:

Comment

• Good Morning, MEUSA!

Good Morning to the rest of tLodge!

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Good morning Lodge. Less than a week until I get to see my mother!
                            Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                            wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                            7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

• I'm writing reviews for my staff. I hate it. I have a good team and I make sure they know that. I also make sure to identify issues as they come up. Nothing on this review should be a surprise to them.

Comment

• One reason I'm glad I don't manage anyone is the thought of writing reviews would make me nuts. I have a hard enough time doing my own. Also, reviews and development plans are separate in our company. Development plans give me even more stress than reviews. They're really big on "growth mindset" here. And while I find that interesting and a really nice thing to provide to employees, I don't want to "grow." I'm doing the thing I want to do in this company. I also started looking at it in a different way. My role has changed multiple times as our department focus has changed and evolved after multiple reorgs. I think that shows growth - that I was able to adapt and not really miss a beat. I really need to find a way to promote that for myself.

And some good news for me today - I put on a light sweatshirt cuz it was a little chilly this morning and found $0.36 in the pocket!! HA!!

Comment

Working...
                                X