Poll: Rep Retirement Lodge 204: Covid 19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by leswp1 View Post

Makes me wonder about leaky gut. I have a friend who works in GI- who does a lot with that.

Very simplified- your gut is populated with a bacteria. Different parts of the bowel should have different populations- she described it sort of like each 'address' has a different population. This is a coordinated system that allows things to be digested properly so the different nutrients/components pass into the circulation in small enough particles.

If the system is disrupted then then the particles that pass thru into the circulation are not broken down properly and are larger. Larger particles cause the body to be constantly in a low grade immune response at baseline. This causes hyper reaction to things that are introduced to the system- increased allergic responses, amplified symptoms that previously were not noticeable or mild. They actually have ways to test for this and ways to correct it but it is wickedly complex regimen and means a lot of dietary changes, supplements , other stuff. I had patients she treated who were train wrecks- multiple problems, meds, etc who ended up coming off almost everything.

Increased incidence in people who take PPIs, have used steroids or antibiotics (which depopulate the good bacteria).

It is totally fascinating.
    It's insanely interesting.

My gf developed a severe gluten intolerance about 4-5 years ago. She was sick all the time. Tried cutting out this and that, no help. Her singer in her band has Celiak and suggested she just try cutting gluten. So my girlfriend did and within 2 days she felt 100% better. This was great news (except for the fact that cutting gluten is difficult for an italian from NY), and she lived like this for a few years. It was wild - she'd get sick, track her food and find nothing with gluten in it, only to find that the new bottle of ibuprofen we just got contained gluten (or other crazy minutiae).

Fast forward to 2019 and she develops a nasty case of diverticulitis. Then another one several months later. Two rounds of strong antibiotics later and the DV is gone... and suddenly she can eat gluten again.

Our bodies are weird.
    I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post

It's insanely interesting.

My gf developed a severe gluten intolerance about 4-5 years ago. She was sick all the time. Tried cutting out this and that, no help. Her singer in her band has Celiak and suggested she just try cutting gluten. So my girlfriend did and within 2 days she felt 100% better. This was great news (except for the fact that cutting gluten is difficult for an italian from NY), and she lived like this for a few years. It was wild - she'd get sick, track her food and find nothing with gluten in it, only to find that the new bottle of ibuprofen we just got contained gluten (or other crazy minutiae).

Fast forward to 2019 and she develops a nasty case of diverticulitis. Then another one several months later. Two rounds of strong antibiotics later and the DV is gone... and suddenly she can eat gluten again.

Our bodies are weird.
      My girlfriend would have a field day with her. It probably wasn't just the gluten. It takes way more than 2 days to get rid of the symptoms from gluten issues. Totally fascinating

Good Evening Lodge!

Comment

• Evening, Lodge! Got some GREAT news today:

“ @NWSTwinCities just told me we may threaten 160-hour record, dating back to 1982, for continuous hours with below zero windchill. 1958 had a 154 hour stretch. This could be a certifiable doozie.” (Sunday night it could hit -60 wind chill).
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Good morning to tLodge!
          Quinnipiac Bobcats
          2023 National Champions
          ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
          ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
          East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
          Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
          Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
          Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

• Good Morning, MEUSA!

Good Morning to the rest of tLodge!

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

My girlfriend would have a field day with her. It probably wasn't just the gluten. It takes way more than 2 days to get rid of the symptoms from gluten issues. Totally fascinating

Good Evening Lodge!
              It may have been 3 days? It was insanely fast.

She had been experimenting with all kinds of stuff - cut dairy (which was a big help but not all of it), cut sugar alcohols (still some of those are instant GI-splosion now). She'd been eliminating this and that for a couple of months with no or minor improvements. And then gluten and BAM.
              I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Hht!
                Quinnipiac Bobcats
                2023 National Champions
                ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                Northeast Regional:

Comment

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post

It may have been 3 days? It was insanely fast.

She had been experimenting with all kinds of stuff - cut dairy (which was a big help but not all of it), cut sugar alcohols (still some of those are instant GI-splosion now). She'd been eliminating this and that for a couple of months with no or minor improvements. And then gluten and BAM.
                  In most cases it takes about 2 weeks to feel good. MY friend is up in Londonderry- http://www.uniquehealthnh.com/ if things are still bad. She does evidence based medicine- my brain hurts thinking of all the stuff she is wicked smaht at

Comment

• Not really sure what table to sit at. Tie/bye sushi bar cuz the game ended as a tie in regulation. But *HT cuz they lost with ONE SECOND left in OT. ::bangs head on table:: That said, they were without their Hobey candidate senior defenseman (no reason as to why) and their freshman stud goalie (no reason as to why) and they played really well and it was an entertaining game. Till the last two seconds. Ugh.

Comment

• *HT. Men's and women's team lose to WI. Women's game, WI tied it up with 30 seconds left, and won in OT. Men just got whupped. Ugh.
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

• At the who cares HT. They had a game. They lost. Meh. Can't get excited this yr.

Comment

• Good Morning, Lodge! :-D
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Good morning Ralph!

Good morning to the rest of tLodge!
                            Quinnipiac Bobcats
                            2023 National Champions
                            Northeast Regional:

Comment

• Good Afternoon Lodge! Another day. Or as Hoven would say Pile day except I walked 3+ miles in the howling wind.

Comment

Good Afternoon Lodge! Another day. Or as Hoven would say Pile day except I walked 3+ miles in the howling wind.
                                I actually sorta accomplished something today! A couple friends and I were all planning to stop by a local brewery for various reasons (membership gifts, pick up a crowler to-go, etc). Decided to coordinate and be there at the same time and have a brew. We haven't seen each other since probably last fall, due to the shutdowns/etc. It felt nice to do something normal.

Comment

Working...
                                X