X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
    Good morning Lodge!!

Sitting at ORD waiting for my flight back to Texas. Doesn't look like I'll get business class, which was the whole reason I chose this flight home (787 with most of it open)...oh, well.

As some of you know, my grandmother passed away on Saturday and the wake and funeral was this Wednesday and Thursday, respectively. Social distancing left a lot to be desired at the wake, but masks were required (with varying degrees of effectiveness). Funeral was limited to 150 people in a pretty large church.

One more week of work before furlough, unless congress can get something passed.
    Sorry to hear this.

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

Wait, why were the cops involved? Normally I just have my CC company send me a new card and move on. Usually they catch it in the first or second transaction, lock the card, and give me a call. Takes five minutes and I can usually talk them into overnighting me a new card.
      You are supposed to call the cops because they were committing fraud (Bank told me this). My post was a little post zoom incoherent.

Went to the store today. THe dude who helped me was appalled, got his manager involved who called his manager. They took all the information down, both of them gave me their cards, the manager guy is calling to follow up. The other guy was beside himself when he heard what happened. He spent a lot of time with me basically teaching me how to change things over, helped me make a plan to switch over to the new laptop.

Meanwhile there is something squirrely with how my email is served with outlook. Turns out when the company sold their email server they split it between 2 other companies. Then the company I got sold to is not the default outlook finds. Manually trying to make it change over isn't working. It says it is syncing folders but then they are not visible anywhere. ALso weird it retrieved sent emails from LONG ago that had been deleted off my email and the server. He thinks outlook may not have patched the issue. Gah. He was the one who made it work on my other laptops so I know he has been successful before. Technology is satan.
      Last edited by leswp1; 09-26-2020, 08:25 PM.

Comment

• I would question the cop element also. Not much they can (or will) do, given it's prob internet driven. CC companys just write it off and call it a day. That's what happened with me when my card got hacked earlier this year.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Credit card companies don’t do **** unless it’s like $5k or maybe even higher. Unless it’s someone who literally stole your plastic card, there’s nothing the cops will do.

I’m actually very surprised your bank told you to call the cops. I’m not trying to make fun or anything like that, so I hope this post doesn’t come off that way.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Credit card companies don’t do **** unless it’s like $5k or maybe even higher. Unless it’s someone who literally stole your plastic card, there’s nothing the cops will do.

I’m actually very surprised your bank told you to call the cops. I’m not trying to make fun or anything like that, so I hope this post doesn’t come off that way.
            Yep. I have a very specific pattern with my card, and believe me, you do too (les). They (the CC companies) know.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

• Actually I think it has more to do with transactions taking place in different geographies in impossibly short times.

But you’re not wrong. Mint and Yodlee are the two public-facing versions of them. Mint less so now since it was bought. They’re not going to shut off a credit card because you shopped at a new store. They’re also not Person of Interest in their level of sophistication. But, if you buy a tank of gas in Tennessee five minutes after you buy a load of bread in Minnesota...

Capitalone will flag transactions and call or email. But they only shut it down if they know it’s an issue.
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• My baby girl is making grunting noises while in the process of learning to make sounds. It’s pretty standard stuff of course, but to me she sounds like Peter Boyle’s grunts in Young Frankenstein. It’s all I can do not to respond, “Fire’s good, fire’s your friend.” :-D
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Actually I think it has more to do with transactions taking place in different geographies in impossibly short times.

But you’re not wrong. Mint and Yodlee are the two public-facing versions of them. Mint less so now since it was bought. They’re not going to shut off a credit card because you shopped at a new store. They’re also not Person of Interest in their level of sophistication. But, if you buy a tank of gas in Tennessee five minutes after you buy a load of bread in Minnesota...

Capitalone will flag transactions and call or email. But they only shut it down if they know it’s an issue.
                  True. Mine was flagged due to micro-transactions (a dollar or two at multiple spots) followed by very large transactions ($500-$1200, at places that NEVER showed up before). My CC is only used at a couple different types of businesses. Whenever I went on vacation (for example, Houghton), I always notified them beforehand. Since I don't travel much, there is a years' long pattern on my account. One or two purchases outside of that pattern, they won't blink. When there was a couple dozen...they were on it like a fat kid on cake.

Had zero issues with them taking care of it, got a new account, etc, within 48 hours. One exception: I did get called when I bought my membership at Back Channel Brewing (along with some merch and a couple beers) since it was soon after the hack, and that particular bill was $300+ (membership cost $250/year). I confirmed the purchase and all was good.

Comment

• Over the years, I’ve received two or three confirm calls for fraud. Once it actually was fraud.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• FWIW, I rode the DC Metro (subway) today for the first time since March. I traveled from Wiehle-Reston East to Smithsonian, a 44-minute trip. For roughly the first half, I was the only one in the car, and there never was anyone closer than about 15 feet. When I travel with my bike on Metro, I use the Smithsonian station although it is only the 4th closest from home because the elevator goes directly to the street without having to go to the mezzanine first.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                        Over the years, I’ve received two or three confirm calls for fraud. Once it actually was fraud.
                        For the last few years, whenever I pay for a German course, I get such a call because the money is going to Munich. Originally I paid locally, and this wasn't a problem.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Saw an awesome apartment this afternoon. Brand new building in a complex of eight buildings. If I pull the trigger, I’d be in building 8, it’s not even finished. I love the idea that I’d be the first ever tenant. It’s totally suburbs, borders on a state forest so my apartment faces it. Nice and quiet. Also, they’re offering 1 month free rent. It’s 15 minutes from my mom’s, which is good.

Cons...well, it’s kinda far from the city. Not really that far, but I’m so used to being close to lots of things. Supposedly less than 10 minutes to the commuter rail. And I could drive in. We’re not going back to the office till some time in 2021.

les - it’s in North Billerica. Actually kind of close to Tully Forum (I’m not calling it by its new name).

So, my dilemma. I have to give a deposit. Which will go towards first month’s rent. I’m not 100% sure I want to take it. Do I take the risk, place the deposit? Need to determine if I feel comfortable losing that money.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                            Saw an awesome apartment this afternoon. Brand new building in a complex of eight buildings. If I pull the trigger, I’d be in building 8, it’s not even finished. I love the idea that I’d be the first ever tenant. It’s totally suburbs, borders on a state forest so my apartment faces it. Nice and quiet. Also, they’re offering 1 month free rent. It’s 15 minutes from my mom’s, which is good.

Cons...well, it’s kinda far from the city. Not really that far, but I’m so used to being close to lots of things. Supposedly less than 10 minutes to the commuter rail. And I could drive in. We’re not going back to the office till some time in 2021.

les - it’s in North Billerica. Actually kind of close to Tully Forum (I’m not calling it by its new name).

So, my dilemma. I have to give a deposit. Which will go towards first month’s rent. I’m not 100% sure I want to take it. Do I take the risk, place the deposit? Need to determine if I feel comfortable losing that money.
                            Sounds to me like you just want someone to say you're making a good decision, and take the place. But, your last statement about being comfortable of losing that money is the key question here...

And also, not going back to the office until at least 2021...is there a possibility you go back to the office at all? And if so, every weekday, or will it be just a day or two?

Comment

• Yeah, that is the key question. Leaning towards doing it. ::

Going to have a chat with my new manager tomorrow to talk about working from home more next year. We’re not planning to head back till late Q1 of 2021 and when we start back, I don’t think anyone will really be there five days a week.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                                Yeah, that is the key question. Leaning towards doing it. ::

Going to have a chat with my new manager tomorrow to talk about working from home more next year. We’re not planning to head back till late Q1 of 2021 and when we start back, I don’t think anyone will really be there five days a week.
                                That latter part should be a major part of your decision, also.

Comment

Working...
                                X