This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post

I think it is because the coins that people do get in change when using cash are not making their way back into the circulation (bank lobbies are closed etc) so they are all sitting in peoples piggy banks.
    That's most likely the biggest reason for the shortage. I always have coin jars, and cash them in once a year before my vacation. Had about $250 this year.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• I have a giant coin jar and my bank is offering (or was) some sort of bonus for trading in coins for foldin' money.
      I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post
        I have a giant coin jar and my bank is offering (or was) some sort of bonus for trading in coins for foldin' money.
        Shoot- we could have a field day if they did this for our banks. We have a big Tupperware canister that mr les drops all his change in. And a can of pennies that we have had from about 25 yrs ago- at least 30$ worth.

Good Afternoon Lodge!
        Did a CEU thing this morning and cleaned my whole armoire desk during it.
        We had massive winds that blew the pots off the deck. They are very heavy so it was impressive. Luckily never lost power

Comment

• Just got word that we are on mandatory work from home through end of 2020. We were supposed to do a pilot return in two large offices mid September, but that's been pushed to January. Since we won't go back till after the pilot, I probably won't be back in the office till March. So, I guess I will move forward with my plan to re-arrange my second bedroom, call 1-800-GOT-JUNK and have them remove the big roll top desk and the large TV with picture tube. Then I will buy a smaller desk and order a monitor that I can use at home. And a new TV for my living room and move my living room TV into that second bedroom. Or so I say. May not happen. But I really should try to make it happen!

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
            Just got word that we are on mandatory work from home through end of 2020. We were supposed to do a pilot return in two large offices mid September, but that's been pushed to January. Since we won't go back till after the pilot, I probably won't be back in the office till March. So, I guess I will move forward with my plan to re-arrange my second bedroom, call 1-800-GOT-JUNK and have them remove the big roll top desk and the large TV with picture tube. Then I will buy a smaller desk and order a monitor that I can use at home. And a new TV for my living room and move my living room TV into that second bedroom. Or so I say. May not happen. But I really should try to make it happen!
            I had a continuing ed thing this morning online and spent the time rearranging my armoire desk while I watched/listened. I figured if I am going to be on my laptop for 8 hrs a day doing virtual clinical. I also probably need to relace my laptop. Turns out it is 3 yrs old instead of 5 but if the paycheck is coming in it would probably be smart to get one while there are back to school sales and we are having the second paycheck.

Last week I ordered curtains for the bedroom. They don't match the current paint so that will force me to do something about repainting it.

Now, if I can muster the mental energy to follow thru that would be good.

Comment

• BILH has no plans for remote employees (like me!) to come back to the office any time soon, and my CIO said he had no intention at all of bringing us back this year and maybe not even ever. Our office building's lease expires next summer anyway so we were going to have to move. Now we may just combine with some open office area we are leasing and most people will just be remote in perpetuity.

That's led my girlfriend and I to look at houses further from Boston, which has been very nice. You get a whole lot more house in Lowell than in Waltham...
              I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                My brother is running out of quarters to do his laundry. He went to the supermarket and wanted to pay in cash so he could get change, and instead the supermarket was giving change as points (or credit) on their loyalty account. I asked him what if you didn't have one?? He thought maybe they would put in a gift card. Then he went to three banks and none of them had coins. I said his building manager should swap out the coin part of the machines with a card reader. How will people be able to do laundry if all that is available are coin operated machines? I have coins but I think it would be hard to ship. Unless I roll them and put in a box with lots of padding?
                We use a card for the machines in our condo. We can add many using a credit card using a machine in an obscure corner of the lobby. I think that machine also takes bills.
                The only problem was when they changed companies several years ago, and I lost $20 of $30 on the card from the other company. I now don't add a lot of money at one time. I also kept the old card in case they go back to the previous company the next time the contract is up for renewal.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post
                  I have a giant coin jar and my bank is offering (or was) some sort of bonus for trading in coins for foldin' money.
                  A Wisconsin bank made the news because they were offering $5 bonus for every $50 of coins cashed in.

And my office has been steadily moving back our date of returning to the office. Yesterday we were pushed back to October 1. I fully expect it to be an even later date once September starts. This crap ain’t goin’ away no time soon.
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• More and more schools in our area are going online. Know a bunch of people who have been told they will not be going into office in the foreseeable future. The school I work for is going to go forward- full court press. (Read their plan- it is not going to go well)

Saw something the other day about how this is causing a reassessment on the part of many people about what they 'need' vs what they 'want'. People were going a million miles an hour, not stopping to think about what they were purchasing or what the impact would be. Now things are more complicated, people are thinking before purchasing, making plans. So this has accomplished what nothing else has been able to. It has made people consider consequences.

This is surely true for our household. Not only do we have to think about the $$ but we have to think of if it will cause risk to being able to work. I never thought I would be so excited to get a pizza (I can tell you how many times we have eaten outside food since March) or so sad when they messed it up.

Comment

• Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                      More and more schools in our area are going online. Know a bunch of people who have been told they will not be going into office in the foreseeable future. The school I work for is going to go forward- full court press. (Read their plan- it is not going to go well)

Saw something the other day about how this is causing a reassessment on the part of many people about what they 'need' vs what they 'want'. People were going a million miles an hour, not stopping to think about what they were purchasing or what the impact would be. Now things are more complicated, people are thinking before purchasing, making plans. So this has accomplished what nothing else has been able to. It has made people consider consequences.

This is surely true for our household. Not only do we have to think about the $$ but we have to think of if it will cause risk to being able to work. I never thought I would be so excited to get a pizza (I can tell you how many times we have eaten outside food since March) or so sad when they messed it up.
                      I, for the most part, only shop at local/small businesses. There are a couple exceptions. Talking with the employees/owners, they have noticed an uptick in their business, relatively, due to the Rona. Many have realized that to keep these places open, we have to buy from them more often. I have mentioned before, one local brewery had to shut down for 2 weeks because they ran out of beer. They couldn't make it fast enough. People knew they wouldn't survive this pandemic if they didn't buy from them.

As for work-at-home, this will cause a major economic shift as more companies realized that their employees CAN work from home, and everything is still very productive. We're talking letting the brick-mortar buildings being empty, and maybe forcing cities to re-zone, or spot-zone, etc., just to fill that space. It'll also possibly affect the business construction industry. Why build new buildings with all these vacancies?
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                        I, for the most part, only shop at local/small businesses. There are a couple exceptions. Talking with the employees/owners, they have noticed an uptick in their business, relatively, due to the Rona. Many have realized that to keep these places open, we have to buy from them more often. I have mentioned before, one local brewery had to shut down for 2 weeks because they ran out of beer. They couldn't make it fast enough. People knew they wouldn't survive this pandemic if they didn't buy from them.

As for work-at-home, this will cause a major economic shift as more companies realized that their employees CAN work from home, and everything is still very productive. We're talking letting the brick-mortar buildings being empty, and maybe forcing cities to re-zone, or spot-zone, etc., just to fill that space. It'll also possibly affect the business construction industry. Why build new buildings with all these vacancies?
                        You are much more willing to go out. I can't get there. Shopping local would mean going to places where the community penetration is so bad the Gov is talking about them. I like to go to multiple stores until something inspires then I buy what I want in little binges. Just had a friend die an awful death for being careful except going out to an outside restaurant (that seems to be the cause). I was uber cautious before but now I am even more cautious- nothing I want bad enough to be willing to die for it. We also travel a lot when we can. That is impossible right now- altho Jet Blue thinks 20$ fares will lure me. Even if we were willing to roll the dice the rules preclude it.

I wonder about the brick and mortar stuff. One of the inlaws found out the office space they had is no longer. They haven't been told they are staying remote but her office space is no longer set up. It seems like there are a lot of things that people are figuring out are not really necessary. People I know are reconsidering what they want and what is important. So far I know only a few people who are unemployed from this. I do know of at least 2 people who work in education who are getting out rather than take the risk.

Comment

• I am more willing to go out, but I am still really picky. ONLY hang out with people whose activities in the past 4-5 months I know about, if a place doesn't have SD (social distancing) then that is a no-go. Wear the mask inside, of course.

Our big MI trip, with the 21 people, we Zoomed every week, and trusted each other in activities, so little worry there. We were our own pod, so to speak.

In essence, I'm still living my life as I want, but with some precautions. Sensible, but not paranoid (no, not accusing you of the latter).

Comment

• Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                            I am more willing to go out, but I am still really picky. ONLY hang out with people whose activities in the past 4-5 months I know about, if a place doesn't have SD (social distancing) then that is a no-go. Wear the mask inside, of course.

Our big MI trip, with the 21 people, we Zoomed every week, and trusted each other in activities, so little worry there. We were our own pod, so to speak.

In essence, I'm still living my life as I want, but with some precautions. Sensible, but not paranoid (no, not accusing you of the latter).
                            Oh, I am paranoid. Very! The guy who died posted something almost identical to what you just did about being sensible... I remember reading that, getting a chill and telling mr les this isn't going to end well. Of course I know a lot of others who post that and are fine but listening to what mr les is hearing the serendipity of places people are catching it is ridiculous. The thought of thinking I am over paranoid, doing something and then having it bite me after all this time of being careful... Yeah. I used to be much more mellow.

Learned when I was in Practice you only think you know others' contacts. You don't know what their contacts are doing. For us it would be disastrous if one of us were to be positive. Even with no symptoms it would wipe out 3 incomes. The guys work contact tracing would be a nightmare.

We must be living in a karma hot spot. It wasn't until we went up to the lake that we experienced people who were not effected. It was really, really weird. I know there are a a lot of people who know no one who has had it. My Auntie down below Boston knows no one. I wish.

Will be fun trying to match paint on line....

Comment

• Good Morning, Lodge!
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Good morning to tLodge!
                                Quinnipiac Bobcats
                                2023 National Champions
                                ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                                ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                                East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
                                Northeast Regional:
                                West Regional: 2015, 2021
                                Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                                Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X