Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poll: Rep Retirement Lodge 204: Covid 19

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Good morning to tLodge!
    Quinnipiac Bobcats
    2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19 ECAC Regular Season Champions
    2013 East Regional Champions, Frozen Four
    2014 East Regional
    2015 West Regional
    2016 ECAC Tournament Champions, East Regional Champions, Frozen Four
    2019 Midwest Regional

    Comment


    • Good Morning, MEUSA!


      Good Morning to the rest of tLodge!







      sigpic

      Let's Go 'Tute!

      Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

      2012 Poser Of The Year

      Comment


      • Good Afternoon Lodge!

        I put lil on the research a new car trail. He is having a blast. Looking stuff up, researching, finding places that have what I want. I basically left it up to him. Everyone is happy.

        Teaching this semester. Replay of every other semester. Find out they have not finalized the course, the plan, or even the people who are Lead or teaching. As the FIL would say- Gory be to God!

        On the other hand it will be yet another adventure. ANd a bit of change in the pocket.

        Comment


        • Glad you're looking for something new! Based on what you told me the other day, I would hate to hear you were on the road and your wheel fell off or something.

          So, I got a text last night from my cousin P (her mom lives with my mom). She told me her daughter C was interested in my condo. I texted her back that I had taken it off the market and would be re-evaluating in the spring. But daughter C - I'm totally curious as to how she could afford it. She's an odd duck. I haven't seen her in forever and she treats cousin P like crap. Anyway, I texted my brother about it today, asking if daughter C has some inheritance I wasn't aware of. He told me she's graduating from law school in the spring so she probably will have a job and can pay for it. So, shame on me for not paying attention. If that's the case...how difficult is it to sell a place on your own? Ha! If I wind up selling to her I wouldn't necessarily have to deal with realtors or commissions. I do have an attorney. Hmmmm. Maybe I can start this process again sooner rather than later.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
            Good Afternoon Lodge!

            I put lil on the research a new car trail. He is having a blast. Looking stuff up, researching, finding places that have what I want. I basically left it up to him. Everyone is happy.

            Teaching this semester. Replay of every other semester. Find out they have not finalized the course, the plan, or even the people who are Lead or teaching. As the FIL would say- Gory be to God!

            On the other hand it will be yet another adventure. ANd a bit of change in the pocket.
            Just my $0.02, but from my last two car purchases:

            Subaru Crosstrek, 2014: I am not likely to purchase another Subaru. Advertised up to 37MPG on the highway, but I'm lucky to hit 30MPG on the highway. It's fairly common for my MPG to be in the neighborhood of 20MPG during the winter, and that's been a common complaint from others with Crosstreks of different years. Something tells me that their test driver was doing 50MPH on the test track, and the test driver weighed maybe 100lbs., and only driven on a perfect summer day. The car is loud while on the road, and I knew that at the time of purchase, but it bothers me now that I have a family. The Bluetooth connection of the phone will be choppy at times due to the truck-like suspension causing a rougher ride; while that doesn't bother me for comfort, it does annoy me to have the audio for my calls, MP3s, audiobooks, etc. cut in and out. I've had two recalls on the car, one of them was after it had already caused me a great amount on consternation - the fuse that linked the action of pressing the brake pedal to being able to shift out of Parking gear failed, so my car wouldn't move. Lastly, the engine is underpowered for as bad as the fuel economy is. The positive is that the AWD is superior to my newer car, a Honda, and any other car I've driven in bad weather.

            Honda CR-V, 2018: I purchased a lease return, EX package, and while most things about this car are great, I'm not wowed by a few things. First, because it's a push button start, the key fobs are always on while the car is in motion, and the batteries had to be replaced a couple months ago. It's not expensive to do this, but the Subaru's fobs are still going strong on their original batteries. Also related to the push button start is that there's no way to have the radio or Bluetooth feature running without having the car's engine also running. The rearview mirror requires an upgrade to make it auto-dimming. And the tire-pressure monitoring system won't tell you which tire is specifically low, but that's standard on equivalently equipped competitors...like the Subaru Forester. Otherwise, I really like the feel of the vehicle on the road, and the ability to turn on and off the Economy setting, which helps when driving in the city or trying to get up to speed on entrance ramps to the freeways. And the fuel economy is great, having hit 35MPG while cruising at 70MPH.
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

            "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

            "Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

            Comment


            • Weird! These are the 2 car makes we have.

              I have loved both my Subarus- manual shift. This one would have prob lasted forever except that some a55 came into my lane and forced me over raised sewer caps, and messed up my axle. Even tho it was fixed the struts let go. Didn't want to spend the $$ when they finally dx it as it would cost a bunch and we weren't driving very far. Now it is really struggling- I rarely drive anywhere- I think I have had 1 tank of gas in the last 4 months and it is not even half gone. I know it needs work and most certainly is rescuable but it will cost way more than I should spend at 93K miles. The one before this was 12 yrs old and was still going strong, no issues, until I was rear-ended by a little chick texting. Bent the frame.

              Most important consideration- Subarus make it up my driveway- not many cars can. Have gotten excellent mileage, better than what they claimed, esp when on the Hwy. Leaning to the Crosstrek but now I see what you say I will have to take that into consideration. We test drove a volvo yrs ago and it made me carsick to be in the passenger seat the ride was so bad. All the electronics are out of my wheelhouse. My car is so old none of that was an option so not something that I would think would matter.

              mr les has a Honda CRV also older than dirt- it does not make it up the driveway. To be fair they guy next door has a military humvee he built from scratch and it can't make it up the driveway either.

              I want a manual- these are going out of style but I don't want a car that drives me. I like to drive it. I want heated seats (ok, this is really dumb but I love them) and I would prefer a hatch, not a sedan. Other than that all the bells and whistles don't really matter to me. I really love my Outback. Drove a Forrester and hated it but that was years ago. Not the best time to be out and about but my car sounds horrible- and to fix all the stuff- struts, brakes, auto steering= $$$$

              Comment


              • Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                Subaru Crosstrek, 2014: I am not likely to purchase another Subaru. Advertised up to 37MPG on the highway, but I'm lucky to hit 30MPG on the highway. It's fairly common for my MPG to be in the neighborhood of 20MPG during the winter, and that's been a common complaint from others with Crosstreks of different years. Something tells me that their test driver was doing 50MPH on the test track, and the test driver weighed maybe 100lbs., and only driven on a perfect summer day.
                I have a '14 Crosstrek and it was never advertised up to 37 mpg. The official EPA numbers are 25 city/33 highway. Around town i can get 23 on a good week. Highway depends on the trip. I've actually gotten 33 on a few long trips. Typically is 28-29 but those are shorter trips (<200 miles). And I'm talking about hand-calculated, not using the lie-o-meter on the dash. What kills my mpg is the remote start in the winter. Five or ten minutes of warmup 5 days a week is brutal.

                Still the best car I've owned and driven. It's not advertised as a luxury car... it's a crossover SUV so a little road noise doesn't bother me (I also drive a Ram Cummins diesel so I know about noise). Great winter car. As far as I'm concerned, Subaru makes the best AWD on the market.

                I'd buy another one without hesitation.
                Quinnipiac Bobcats
                2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19 ECAC Regular Season Champions
                2013 East Regional Champions, Frozen Four
                2014 East Regional
                2015 West Regional
                2016 ECAC Tournament Champions, East Regional Champions, Frozen Four
                2019 Midwest Regional

                Comment


                • Pure manuals are tough to find unless you go really high-end, from what I know. It's all paddles (so auto-manual, sorta). A buddy of mine has a BMW, and he wanted a pure manual, and really couldn't find one. I have an automatic, but can switch to paddle-manual if I wanted (which I don't).

                  And yes, do research, and have back up choices. Took me a couple months to finally decide (and get the right deal). Trust your gut, too. My last two vehicles, they just felt right. I wanted to doubt myself a bit both times, but that feeling never went away.

                  As for MPG, I used to get 16/city, 19/highway on the Wrangler, take about 4 MPG off with the top down.
                  I now get about 23/city, 31/highway (advertised as 20/30, FTR).
                  Last edited by The Rube; 01-12-2021, 11:31 PM.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

                  Comment


                  • Good morning to tLodge!
                    Quinnipiac Bobcats
                    2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19 ECAC Regular Season Champions
                    2013 East Regional Champions, Frozen Four
                    2014 East Regional
                    2015 West Regional
                    2016 ECAC Tournament Champions, East Regional Champions, Frozen Four
                    2019 Midwest Regional

                    Comment


                    • Good Morning, MEUSA!


                      Good Morning to the rest of tLodge!









                      sigpic

                      Let's Go 'Tute!

                      Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

                      2012 Poser Of The Year

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
                        I have a '14 Crosstrek and it was never advertised up to 37 mpg. The official EPA numbers are 25 city/33 highway. Around town i can get 23 on a good week. Highway depends on the trip. I've actually gotten 33 on a few long trips. Typically is 28-29 but those are shorter trips (<200 miles). And I'm talking about hand-calculated, not using the lie-o-meter on the dash. What kills my mpg is the remote start in the winter. Five or ten minutes of warmup 5 days a week is brutal.

                        Still the best car I've owned and driven. It's not advertised as a luxury car... it's a crossover SUV so a little road noise doesn't bother me (I also drive a Ram Cummins diesel so I know about noise). Great winter car. As far as I'm concerned, Subaru makes the best AWD on the market.

                        I'd buy another one without hesitation.
                        Sorry, you’re right about the 33MPG on the highway. I confused it with another car. Still, my experience is far below the stated levels for fuel economy. It grinds at me because I’ve been getting 18MPG when city driving (I always calculate on my own as the car’s computer never seems accurate to me). I used to get that with my beat up 1988 Ford Bronco II when I was in college, and that had a V6.

                        And les, I would look more at the Outback. I’ve yet to hear complaints about it like I have with my Crosstrek. Also, I would love to drive a manual transmission again. This is my first automatic since 1994. I feel like a far more engaged driver with a manual.
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

                        "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

                        "Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

                        Comment


                        • Oh new car talk!

                          I wish I could drive more. But COVID and all. Since I've only had my car about a year ('19 Genesis G70). It's been great. But then again, we don't really get much snow/ice here. So, I have no idea how that would go.
                          PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                          Steam Profile

                          Sports Allegiance
                          NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                            Sorry, you’re right about the 33MPG on the highway. I confused it with another car. Still, my experience is far below the stated levels for fuel economy. It grinds at me because I’ve been getting 18MPG when city driving (I always calculate on my own as the car’s computer never seems accurate to me). I used to get that with my beat up 1988 Ford Bronco II when I was in college, and that had a V6.

                            And les, I would look more at the Outback. I’ve yet to hear complaints about it like I have with my Crosstrek. Also, I would love to drive a manual transmission again. This is my first automatic since 1994. I feel like a far more engaged driver with a manual.
                            Outback only comes in automatic now. BLECH!!

                            We are getting the brakes fixed because no need to rush. Not many true manuals left. I really HATE automatics. I want to shift myself.

                            Good Evening Lodge!

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by leswp1 View Post

                              Outback only comes in automatic now. BLECH!!

                              We are getting the brakes fixed because no need to rush. Not many true manuals left. I really HATE automatics. I want to shift myself.

                              Good Evening Lodge!
                              Yeah, manuals will be tougher and tougher to find. First, not a lot of people learn how to drive them anymore. Second, engineering on automatics has improved to the point where they get better fuel economy than manuals. The machines have won, people are becoming obsolete.
                              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

                              "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

                              "Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

                              Comment


                              • Good morning to tLodge!
                                Quinnipiac Bobcats
                                2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19 ECAC Regular Season Champions
                                2013 East Regional Champions, Frozen Four
                                2014 East Regional
                                2015 West Regional
                                2016 ECAC Tournament Champions, East Regional Champions, Frozen Four
                                2019 Midwest Regional

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X