• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
    Well, this is not how I would have chosen the season to start

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring...ory?id=6131020
    We're Forked!!!
    bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Re: Detroit Tigers, Volume 1 - The Lou Whitaker version

Originally posted by streaker View Post
      5-15 wins.
      I don't know, it's really early - there's plenty of time to get up on that wagon and do like he did last year. It's better to get the treatment program in March than the last fricken day of the division race.
      Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
      USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

He was drinking out of the bottle in front of the cop.

Not only does he need a driver, he needs a trailer to carry his massive balls.
        "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

*looooong deep breath*

There's no two ways around it. This is an unqualified disaster. Short of Justin Verlander's right arm exploding all over the infield, this is the worst thing that could have happened to this team. This is not some player making a colossally large mistake one time in his life. This is a pattern. If he's drinking scotch right out of the bottle in front of the cops, this isn't the first time he's fallen off the wagon since we discovered this issue a year and a half ago. They better put Miguel in rehab immediately, if not sooner, and he needs to stay there for as long as it takes.

Streaker's prediction of a 5-15 win effect might be low depending on how long he's gone. He was the straw that stirred this drink. And we're married to him for 6 more seasons, I think. For the Tigers' sake, he better get right. Heinz doesn't make enough ketchup to choke this contract down, and he's radioactive as far as any ideas about trading him. He's our problem, plain and simple.
          Last edited by Hammer; 02-17-2011, 05:42 PM.
          FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
            Streaker's prediction of a 5-15 win effect might be low depending on how long he's gone. He was the straw that stirred this drink. And we're married to him for 6 more seasons, I think. For the Tigers' sake, he better get right. Heinz doesn't make enough ketchup to choke this contract down, and he's radioactive as far as any ideas about trading him. He's our problem, plain and simple.
            Was this a pun on purpose?

Could people in the Marlins known about this and decided to deal him beause of possible future troubles? Not sure if I buy that.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out...
            tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

I was channeling Reggie Jackson and wound up here. *shrug*

No, they got rid of Cabrera and Dontrelle because they were arbitration-eligible and Florida throws their own money around like you and I throw around manhole covers.

The story is that Cabrera is not expected to miss much time. Something there doesn't smell right.

God, that was fun...

Comment

The thing is, once Mig is on the field he is going to hit. The media asking him about it over and over will be a distraction, but he isn't going to forget how to hit a baseball because of it.

The team should try to help him and if he doesn't take it they will have to consider their options on what to do with him. Luckily for the Tigers it is only mid February and not mid August.
                PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Other options? The Tigers are stuck. No one will touch him with a 10-foot pole for anything more than about 10 cents on the dollar, and he's owed about $20 mil for the next 6 years or so. If he can't play, we're going to bleed for a long time.

If you're another GM, what would you give for a 27-year old 1B with drinking problems, who is owed about $100-120 mil on a long-term contract, and who has had two run-ins with the law (albeit one much more serious than the other)? I'd give up about two A-ball pitchers and a bag of Pringles, and that's about it.
                  Last edited by Hammer; 02-17-2011, 06:16 PM.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Other options? The Tigers are stuck. No one will touch him with a 10-foot pole for anything more than about 10 cents on the dollar, and he's owed about $20 mil for the next 6 years or so. If he can't play, we're going to bleed for a long time.

If you're another GM, what would you give for a 27-year old 1B with drinking problems, who is owed about $100-120 mil on a long-term contract, and who has had two run-ins with the law (albeit one much more serious than the other)? I'd give up about two A-ball pitchers and a bag of Pringles, and that's about it.
                    They could try to void his contract, or at least part of it. I bet they would eat some of the value in order to let him go if it came to that decision.
                    Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                    NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Except Pringles come in a can.
                      Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                        Except Pringles come in a can.
                        *****http://brandnoise.typepad.com/brand_noise/images/2007/05/07/bilde.jpg******
                        Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                          *****http://brandnoise.typepad.com/brand_noise/images/2007/05/07/bilde.jpg******
                          Those are the premium Pringles. They'll demand a couple prospects in exchange for those.
                          Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                            They could try to void his contract, or at least part of it. I bet they would eat some of the value in order to let him go if it came to that decision.
                            There's gotta be some fine print in there about misconduct, or team image, or criminal activity or something.
                            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                              Was this a pun on purpose?

Could people in the Marlins known about this and decided to deal him beause of possible future troubles? Not sure if I buy that.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out...
                              Hammer is 90% correct with his assertion about how the Marlins viewed the arbitration situation with Cabrera and Willis. But, according to a text sent by an ESPN insider, a 20 year old Cabrera showed up at a photo shoot for ESPN The Mag totally drunk and belligerent... scaring people there. You don't think the Marlins Brass knew this guy had a problem? That's naive. No different than not knowing that Willis had a problem, also. Here was a World Series winning pitcher that suddenly goes off the cliff, and a young stud comparable to Pujols that can't control his drinking. They got what they could for both of them and now we are reaping the dark side of the deal.

Miggy needs helps not for us, not for the organization, but for his family and himself. This could have been a worse disaster than it is, and it still could be depending on how it is handled. Hamilton overcame his addictions- and it took five years- let's see how the Tigers address this and let's see if the $20 million dollar+ a year investment will be wasted. IMO, Dombrowski is really on the hook now.

And to think I actually had put my Tigers cynicism away for this season.

Comment

So, yeah about that 90 game win prediction...

Everyone has basically said what I'm thinking, but I'd think that Miggy is certainly worth the time to rehab if its possible. Hopefully it is, because if not the Tigers are F'ed.
                                Let's Go Broncos!

Comment

Working...
                                X