X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Detroit Tigers, Volume 1 - The Lou Whitaker version

Originally posted by Alton View Post
    Al Alburquerque on the 7-day Disabled List (there's a 7-day DL?) with a concussion. Ryan Perry back up from Toledo.
    They added the 7 day DL this year. It's only for concussions.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

..........Dwight Gooden..........
      *deep breath and sigh*

There's a guy that could have won 350-400 games if he kept the train on the tracks. Of course, given his age and his early inning load, he could have also blown out like a 90,000 mile tire, too, even without his various issues. He ought to be the poster child of wasted young talent.

Denny McLain,
      If he gets hit by a bus tomorrow, it will be too soon and too kind. I have nothing good to say about this man. As for his pitching, his arm was shot after 1969 and he was out of baseball before he was 29.
      Last edited by Hammer; 08-13-2011, 03:27 PM.
      FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

I was going to say no way Gooden could have done that, even if he was clean, but I suppose Clemens made it to 350--albeit with steroid help--and I could have seen Gooden doing something similar. I'll agree it's difficult to project too much with pitchers since the likelihood of injury is so high.

I came across an old sports section of the Detroit News from some random May day in 1927. I know a lot of Baby Boomers talk about the 50s and 60s as baseball's Golden Age, but just looking through the sheer number of Hall of Famers in that day's box scores, I'd have to put '27 right up there. There was also an article about a guy named Ruth who had decided to give up on his diet because he felt like it was affecting his power at the plate. Yeah, that seems like a great idea...
        Originally posted by dicaslover
        Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
        Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Gooden was 24-4 as a 20 year old in 1985, and he blew the shorts right off of the National League for about 2 1/2 years. I mean he was dominant. The only thing I've seen close was Pedro in his prime with the Red Sox. And I think at that time, Gooden was more dominant than Clemens was in the AL. If he had kept up to even close to that he would have been pushing 250 wins by age 30. But again, who knows with so many innings on that young arm, let alone his other issues.

We had absolutely no business whatsoever winning tonight's game. Cabrera finally hit a bomb, and that 5th inning was probably the best inning we've had this season offensively. With 2 out, Magglio, Cabrera, Martinez, Peralta, Avila and yes, Raburn put a 5-spot on the board, and that was the ballgame. Although I wasn't exactly coherent for the last half of the game, I don't think Valverde even made us sweat in the 9th.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Oh, and Mark Guthrie: 16 losses this season. Hopefully he gets to 20 and takes Mike Maroth's name out of a trivia question.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Guillen back to the DL, this time with a bad wrist. Will Rhymes called up.

Boesch not expected back until Tuesday at the earliest.

God, that was fun...

Comment

No more trading for Seattle Mariner pitchers.
                "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Ryan Raburn. Another error. Go figure.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Had to turn the channel today- another crap effort with a chance to sweep. What really cheesed me off is the laughing and joking going on when it was 8-1. Get your tails handed to you by a terrible team and their joking around, satisfied with taking 2/3 and going a whopping 3-3 against Baltimore so far this season. Nice try in the ninth, the Birds almost handed this one back like the last two games. Pathetic.

Comment

I like you guys, I really do, and because of that I want to appologize for the large turd that we just sent to your clubhouse.
                      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Didn't see that one coming.

Comment

Neither did I.

This move tells me one of two things: 1) Boesch's thumb is worse than they're letting on, or 2) Magglio's days are numbered.

Magglio and Young are both in tonight's lineup.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                            Neither did I.

This move tells me one of two things: 1) Boesch's thumb is worse than they're letting on, or 2) Magglio's days are numbered.

Magglio and Young are both in tonight's lineup.
                            Rod Allen was tweeting that Boesch was fine during BP today and should be ready to go in the next couple days for whatever that is worth. I would assume this means Mags is heading to the bench.

Comment

Young was great for us for about two or three months last season, then slumped to end the year. This year he never really got going because of injuries. Twins management finally decided to just admit that they were totally screwed (by that I mean they screwed themselves) in that deal with the Rays.
                              the state of hockey is good

Comment

Hmm, well if the season goes down the tubes we can at least have Young throw a bat at someone.
                                Let's Go Broncos!

Comment

Working...
                                X