Detroit Tigers, Volume 1 - The Lou Whitaker version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Detroit Tigers, Volume 1 - The Lou Whitaker version

I haven't been following the day-to-day in camp, but was surprised to see Sizemore get cut before Worth or Rhymes. Is this a really good sign for one of them, or a bad sign for Sizemore? I thought this would be his year to step up.
    Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
    USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

I was going to say something about that today, too. I think it's both a really good sign for either Worth or Rhymes (my guess is Rhymes), and a really bad one for Sizemore. They're looking for every reason in the world to hand the 2B job to Sizemore, and he hasn't seized it yet. To me, that's a really bad omen for him.

Anyone else read Henning's drivel in the News yesterday about trading Peralta? This dipweed went on and on last fall about how the Tigers had to sign him and not let him walk, and now he talks about how the bat is getting soft, and how he doesn't have range? IHOP doesn't make waffles like this idiot does.

My opinion has been consistent since the end of 2010. We needed to make an upgrade at either 3B or SS this past offseason, and we did not do so. Trading Peralta to make room for, apparently, Danny Worth, is not my idea of an upgrade.

9 days until Opening Day.
      Last edited by Hammer; 03-22-2011, 05:36 PM.
      FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
        I was going to say something about that today, too. I think it's both a really good sign for either Worth or Rhymes (my guess is Rhymes), and a really bad one for Sizemore. They're looking for every reason in the world to hand the 2B job to Sizemore, and he hasn't seized it yet. To me, that's a really bad omen for him.

Anyone else read Henning's drivel in the News yesterday about trading Peralta? This dipweed went on and on last fall about how the Tigers had to sign him and not let him walk, and now he talks about how the bat is getting soft, and how he doesn't have range? IHOP doesn't make waffles like this idiot does.

My opinion has been consistent since the end of 2010. We needed to make an upgrade at either 3B or SS this past offseason, and we did not do so. Trading Peralta to make room for, apparently, Danny Worth, is not my idea of an upgrade.

9 days until Opening Day.
        Totally agree about Henning. Put some syrup on him and call it breakfast. And yes, you are on the record about an upgrade at 2b and SS, just like I am- although Peralta never did start off any season very well. If he isn't hitting Leyland is going to do the same thing he did with any other Tiger that didn't produce. Keep wasting those $$.

Comment

Well, our other options at SS are Ramon Santiago, who would have more batting titles than Tony Gwynn if you only needed 150 AB to qualify, or Danny Worth. And that's it. And if Rhymes struggles at 2B, uh-oh... We might have to move Ryan Raburn back to 2B.

At least Peralta isn't overly expensive, at $5.5 for this year and next.

8 days until Opening Day.

God, that was fun...

Comment

The Key to the season IMO is Porcello. You know what your getting from Verlander 18-20 wins, Max your probably going to get 13-16 wins. Penny and Coke it would be great if they get 8-10 wins but if Porcello doesnt get 10-14 wins that makes penny and coke having to pick up that slack and im not sure you can count on either of those guys for that. 89 Wins and a Divsion Title is my prediction.

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
              The Key to the season IMO is Porcello. You know what your getting from Verlander 18-20 wins, Max your probably going to get 13-16 wins. Penny and Coke it would be great if they get 8-10 wins but if Porcello doesnt get 10-14 wins that makes penny and coke having to pick up that slack and im not sure you can count on either of those guys for that. 89 Wins and a Divsion Title is my prediction.
              Actually, that was another Hammer concern. By the sound of last night's game, it still is a concern.

Oh, and the pundits on the MLB network pick the Tigers at 83-79, tied for the title with the Twins. (What does Dan Plesac know, anyway?)

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                Actually, that was another Hammer concern. By the sound of last night's game, it still is a concern.

Oh, and the pundits on the MLB network pick the Tigers at 83-79, tied for the title with the Twins. (What does Dan Plesac know, anyway?)
                Didnt read the whole thread before posting. I would like to see Martinez catching Porcello instead of Avila. Martinez has caught him a few times this spring and porcello seemed to throw much better to him than he has to avila

Comment

Here's the 25-man roster:

Pitchers (12): Justin Verlander, Max Scherzer, Rick Porcello, Phil Coke, Brad Penny, Jose Valverde, Joaquin Benoit, Ryan Perry, Brad Thomas, Daniel Schlereth, Enrique Gonzalez and Brayan Villarreal

Catchers (2): Victor Martinez, Alex Avila

Infielders (5): Miguel Cabrera, Will Rhymes, Jhonny Peralta, Brandon Inge, Ramon Santiago

Outfielders (6): Magglio Ordonez, Austin Jackson, Ryan Raburn, Donnie Kelly, Brennan Boesch and Casper Wells

About the only one I can't tell you much of anything about is Villarreal. I would have liked to have seen Worth make it, but frankly, there isn't room at the moment, with Santiago being the back-up middle infielder, and Don Kelly being a super-sub.

I'll say this: health is going to be a major concern for this team this year, because there isn't much behind this roster that is major league-ready right this moment. Soon? Yes. Now? Uh-uh.

Although I know better than this by now, I like the White Sox to win the Central, the Twins second, and us not far behind at all in 3rd.

Assuming almost everyone continues to develop on schedule, we're about a year away. Off the cuff, this looks like an 85-87 win team to me. 2012 is the year to watch for.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Didnt read the whole thread before posting. I would like to see Martinez catching Porcello instead of Avila. Martinez has caught him a few times this spring and porcello seemed to throw much better to him than he has to avila
                    No, you're just fine here. More than one person is allowed to have the same opinion. It's just that I express mine with more emphasis and more obnoxiousness than most here.

My biggest concern about Porcello is the amount of major league innings already on what is now a 22-year old arm. You want to keep those innings down until at least age 23. I can pull data if you wish. As for Avila, he's going to have to hit a little bit. They're looking for every reason to hand him the starting catcher's job, but he's got to show that he can handle it. Now, I don't expect a reincarnation of Lance Parrish, but I don't think .250-.260 with 10-15 bombs and 60 RBIs should be too much to ask. There's more catching on the way (finally), but that's not going to do us a bit of good this season if Avila is hitting .185 on June 15th.
                    Last edited by Hammer; 03-27-2011, 05:05 PM.

God, that was fun...

Comment

What Hammer said- plus- I didn't mean it to sound as if you were repeating what he had previously said about Porcello. What I meant was, for Tiger fans Porcello is going to be the key guy in the rotation only because he has the potential but has not executed since he came into the majors. It's one of the first topics we carried over from last season.

So any bets on who the jacquebag MLB "star" that is anonymously ripping on Miggy in the upcoming ESPN the Mag is?

I'd guess that this guy plays for:

1. a prominent A.L. East team
                      2. is NOT Hispanic

Any takers?

Comment

Well, if Verlander rares back and earholes someone early in the season, we may very well have our answer. Things like this tend to have a way of getting out.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                          So any bets on who the jacquebag MLB "star" that is anonymously ripping on Miggy in the upcoming ESPN the Mag is?
                          a worthless chickenshit. Like Hammer said, it'll come out. Why say crap like that without owning it?

I've been waffling like crazy on this team. Now that I'm getting up for the opener and Penny pitched well in the team's 20th win of the spring, I'll go ahead and predict 91 wins and a division title.
                          Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                          USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

I'll stick with the 90 win season and winning the Central for the first time ever. The White Sox take second (and the wild card at 89 wins). Twins, Royals and Indians round out the rest of the division. The Yankees win the East; Rangers with the West. WS winner: Phillies.
                            Let's Go Broncos!

Comment

I think it's going to take more than 90 wins to take the wildcard. In 2006 the Tigers got the wildcard with 95 wins. I've got to believe that both New York and Boston are over 90 wins. Baltimore is still going to be bad, Buck Showalter or otherwise, Toronto certainly isn't going to contend (and Bautista sure as hell isn't hitting another 54 bombs), and Tampa lost quite a chunk this offseason, including their set-up man and closer, the closer going to the Yankees. The AL East is seriously top-heavy.

My guess is the Red Sox win the AL East with 100-105 wins, the Yanks come in around 92-94 for the wildcard, and the other two division winners come in around 90-93 wins each. My picks for those are the White Sox and Anaheim. Texas has lost too much pitching in Cliff Lee, and I'm not sold that Colby Lewis or the rest of the rotation is much more than a one-year wonder. Oakland could get in the mix, but Seattle is bad. Again.

If you're looking for an up-and-coming story this season, watch the Royals. Do not adjust your monitor. Yes, I said the Royals. From what I've heard, they've got a motherlode of talent on the way. They're going to scare people in 2-3 years if they develop like is reasonably expected. Are they going to do anything this year? Don't be silly. But they will finish ahead of Cleveland, and will do so for the foreseeable future.
                              Last edited by Hammer; 03-28-2011, 06:17 PM.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Okay, what do we do with this?

Scherzer gives up 12 runs today

Hopefully this Dave Mlicki impersonation is an aberration.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Working...
                                X