Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2010-2011 NHL Season Part II - Concussions Are Serious Business, Savvy?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Re: 2010-2011 NHL Season Part II - Concussions Are Serious Business, Savvy?

    Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    I still can't get over the Lebda signing. That remains one of the worst FA contracts last summer.
    Just the latest in a looooong list going back to the 70s.
    Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

    Comment


    • #32
      Re: 2010-2011 NHL Season Part II - Concussions Are Serious Business, Savvy?

      Originally posted by Terrierbyassociation View Post
      Avery is an agitator. He doesn't try to intentionally injure guys like Cooke does. He's not the same type of player...he definitely has his dirty moments but he's never been suspended for an on ice event.
      Agreed. Avery is an *** and a clown (and maybe an ********), but his suspensions have been for running his mouth, and I don't know that he's ever caused another player a serious injury.
      Cornell University Men's Hockey
      NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
      Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

      Comment


      • #33
        Re: 2010-2011 NHL Season Part II - Concussions Are Serious Business, Savvy?

        Nice win for Detroit. Finally, a good game out of Howard.

        A great giveaway by "Norris" Byfuglien also led to a rare Leafs win.

        Comment


        • #34
          Re: 2010-2011 NHL Season Part II - Concussions Are Serious Business, Savvy?

          Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          A great giveaway by "Norris" Byfuglien also led to a rare Leafs win.
          That's was a tape to tape pass!
          Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

          Comment


          • #35
            Re: 2010-2011 NHL Season Part II - Concussions Are Serious Business, Savvy?

            Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
            Nice win for Detroit. Finally, a good game out of Howard.
            The Rangers made a goalie who hasn't been playing well look like a Vezina candidate? That NEVER happens!
            Cornell University Men's Hockey
            NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
            Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

            Comment


            • #36
              Re: 2010-2011 NHL Season Part II - Concussions Are Serious Business, Savvy?

              Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
              A great giveaway by "Norris" Byfuglien also led to a rare Leafs win.
              You don't watch the Thrashers much, do you?

              (Insert joke about how no one watches the Thrashers)

              Buff's been struggling the last month or so, finally got the "monkey off his back" with the goal, but has still struggled defensively. Injuries are mounting, and the "depth" that Atlanta has is being tested.
              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

              Live Radio from 100.3

              Comment


              • #37
                Re: 2010-2011 NHL Season Part II - Concussions Are Serious Business, Savvy?

                Originally posted by aparch View Post
                You don't watch the Thrashers much, do you?

                (Insert joke about how no one watches the Thrashers)
                Watching the highlights, I was surprised to see a guy in the crowd with an Atlanta jersey. Then I figured he's probably just a Leafs fan being bitter and sarcastic.

                I guess the question is - prior to the ATL trade, when was the last time Byfuglien played D on a regular basis? It'd be a tough transition to make at the NHL level while still being expected to put up points.

                Originally posted by jmh View Post
                The Rangers made a goalie who hasn't been playing well look like a Vezina candidate? That NEVER happens!
                Hardly Howard's best game either (he's still a rebound machine), but I'll take it as a step in the right direction.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Re: 2010-2011 NHL Season Part II - Concussions Are Serious Business, Savvy?

                  Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                  Hardly Howard's best game either (he's still a rebound machine), but I'll take it as a step in the right direction.
                  Yeah, it was pretty embarassing that the Rangers couldn't put home some of those rebounds. Also, has anyone seen Gaborik lately? The Rangers could use him in some of these games.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Re: 2010-2011 NHL Season Part II - Concussions Are Serious Business, Savvy?

                    Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                    I guess the question is - prior to the ATL trade, when was the last time Byfuglien played D on a regular basis? It'd be a tough transition to make at the NHL level while still being expected to put up points.
                    I just skimmed his stats on theahl.com, and he was always listed as a defenseman for Norfolk and Rockford (well, of the dozen games I checked). So I think it was a change made during his final two seasons with the Blackhawks.

                    The NHL.com stats are a pain in the * to search through, but the two games I checked listed Byfuglien as a D man. But the 'Hawks dressed 7 D. I presume that Buff needed work on his D or skating, so they moved him up (ala John Scott) and it worked out pretty well for him.

                    I don't know much about him other than I liked what he did for the Hawks as a forward, and knew the Thrashers needed someone like that. Then Dudley goes and says that Byfuglien is a D-man in ATL. And now he's been a defensive liability, but they refuse to remove him from the blueline.
                    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

                    Live Radio from 100.3

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Re: 2010-2011 NHL Season Part II - Concussions Are Serious Business, Savvy?

                      Could we get Roger Goodell to come over, punish the hell out of Matt Cooke for being a repeatx20 offender and then send him back to farking up the NFL?

                      *****http://i53.tinypic.com/dn25vr.jpg******
                      Last edited by bronconick; 02-08-2011, 11:59 PM.
                      "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites


                      Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Re: 2010-2011 NHL Season Part II - Concussions Are Serious Business, Savvy?

                        Originally posted by aparch View Post
                        I just skimmed his stats on theahl.com, and he was always listed as a defenseman for Norfolk and Rockford (well, of the dozen games I checked). So I think it was a change made during his final two seasons with the Blackhawks.

                        The NHL.com stats are a pain in the * to search through, but the two games I checked listed Byfuglien as a D man. But the 'Hawks dressed 7 D. I presume that Buff needed work on his D or skating, so they moved him up (ala John Scott) and it worked out pretty well for him.

                        I don't know much about him other than I liked what he did for the Hawks as a forward, and knew the Thrashers needed someone like that. Then Dudley goes and says that Byfuglien is a D-man in ATL. And now he's been a defensive liability, but they refuse to remove him from the blueline.
                        I know the qualifications for Yahoo Hockey are screwy, but IIRC, Byfuglien was listed as D/F for the last couple years. I dunno if that was simply based on games played, or actual roster designation, or both, but that's how I remember it.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Re: 2010-2011 NHL Season Part II - Concussions Are Serious Business, Savvy?

                          Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                          Could we get Roger Goodell to come over, punish the hell out of Matt Cooke for being a repeatx20 offender and then send him back to farking up the NFL?
                          As a Pens fan, I will readily admit that Cooke should have held up on the play (he had enough time to stop), but I'm so sick and tired of players playing a puck along the boards, seeing a player coming at them and turning towards the boards to draw a penalty.
                          HT: Bucs FC - IV.46

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Re: 2010-2011 NHL Season Part II - Concussions Are Serious Business, Savvy?

                            B's Canadiens tonight. Big game for both teams. Bruins have yet to beat Montreal this year. I'm trying to find someone to go to the game with...there's a great deal for Club Seats on eBay.
                            UNH Wildcat Hockey

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Re: 2010-2011 NHL Season Part II - Concussions Are Serious Business, Savvy?

                              Originally posted by RMUColonials View Post
                              As a Pens fan, I will readily admit that Cooke should have held up on the play (he had enough time to stop), but I'm so sick and tired of players playing a puck along the boards, seeing a player coming at them and turning towards the boards to draw a penalty.
                              I don't like that either, but it doesn't explain Cooke being nearly a foot off the ice.

                              Originally posted by UNH GH View Post
                              B's Canadiens tonight. Big game for both teams. Bruins have yet to beat Montreal this year. I'm trying to find someone to go to the game with...there's a great deal for Club Seats on eBay.
                              I'll go!
                              the state of hockey is good

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Re: 2010-2011 NHL Season Part II - Concussions Are Serious Business, Savvy?

                                Originally posted by pardonme View Post
                                Also, has anyone seen Gaborik lately? The Rangers could use him in some of these games.
                                He's still playing? I thought he had retired! I can't remember seeing him on the ice in weeks.
                                My Four Favorite teams:
                                RIT and anyone who is beating Canisius
                                Cornell and anyone who is beating Harvard

                                If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

                                I am not afraid of terrorism, and I want the Government to stop being afraid on my behalf. I understand that it will not be possible to stop all terrorist acts. I am not afraid!!!!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X