Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2010-2011 NHL Season Part II - Concussions Are Serious Business, Savvy?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2010-2011 NHL Season Part II - Concussions Are Serious Business, Savvy?

So, uh, Chicago just resigned Brent Seabrook at 5 years, $29 million. They aren't going to be selling off pieces this summer since they get their penalty cap space back, but they aren't going to be making much of a splash to reload their depth, either.

Edit: Oh, UFA money to another RFA. Bowman's reading Tallon's notes.
    Last edited by bronconick; 03-01-2011, 09:31 AM.
    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
      Edit: Oh, UFA money to another RFA. Bowman's reading Tallon's notes.
      I really think Bowman was behind the fiasco two summers ago and Tallon was the fall guy.

What I DO know is that I cannot wait to read former Comcast Sportsnet Chicago reporter Josh Mora's book regarding this, and his brief career in Chicago. He's got some dirt (and connections for more) on how everything went down.

http://40yearoldnothing.wordpress.com/
      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Sharks extend Niemi for 4 years/15.2 million (3.8 cap hit)

On the high side, but they were kind of in a ****ty spot for goaltending. Niittymaki's been injury prone this year, Stalock has those severed nerves in his knee that he's hopefully rehabbing, but I'd doubt he'd be NHL quality by next season, and Sateri hasn't come over the pond yet from Sweden. UFA goalies were Bryzgalov, Vokoun, maybe Nabokov depending on what his contract turns out to be, and a bunch of no-names, really.

If Wilson can manage not to sign any craptastic old defensemen to contracts that are double what they were previously making (Wallin, Huskins), they'll be fine with the cap.
        Last edited by bronconick; 03-01-2011, 01:57 PM.
        "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
          Sharks extend Niemi for 4 years/15.2 million (3.8 cap hit)

On the high side, but they were kind of in a ****ty spot for goaltending. Niittymaki's been injury prone this year, Stalock has those severed nerves in his knee that he's hopefully rehabbing, but I'd doubt he'd be NHL quality by next season, and Sateri hasn't come over the pond yet from Sweden. UFA goalies were Bryzgalov, Vokoun, maybe Nabokov depending on what his contract turns out to be, and a bunch of no-names, really.

If Wilson can manage not to sign any craptastic old defensemen to contracts that are double what they were previously making (Wallin, Huskins), they'll be fine with the cap.
          A little high, but not outrageous. I'm not huge on giving someone at that position with 2 years NHL experience a 4 year deal, but it's not my money. I did enjoy this quote form Lombardi:

"And like many of his teammates over this past year, he worked with us on a contract that fits within our team structure and enables us to keep our group intact."
          So, he would have got more?

Comment

It's going to be fun to see whether or not Vokoun can get the $5 mil/season he probably still thinks he's worth.

I just don't see any of the current contenders dropping that much money on a goalie when they could be using it for a good defenseman, some good depth players, and/or some raises for the kids.

Comment

Team structure in San Jose means his cap hit is 3.8, but he's probably making more in the later years of the contract since Heatley's cap hit will exceed his salary after next season.

Comment

GLM just tweeted that Bobby Goepfert is starting to use Twitter (@GeffMan47)

Seems Bobby is a little self aware of the jokes he earned in college:

TSNBobMcKenzie: @GeffMan47 Just be yourself in that kooky goalie kind of way. :-)
                GeffMan47: @TSNBobMcKenzie It won't be a problem. More nervous about citing sources if I use a quote.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Tuukka looks solid and the Bruins cap off the perfect road trip. 6-0.

Horton with goals in the last 3 games is encouraging too.
                  UNH Wildcat Hockey

Comment

"THAT'S gonna go well."
                    the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by UNH GH View Post
                      Tuukka looks solid and the Bruins cap off the perfect road trip. 6-0.

Horton with goals in the last 3 games is encouraging too.
                      I like seeing some consistancy w/ rask as the season winds down. the PP looks improved, the Boston D is playing great, and the guys we got to score goals are picking it up. Don't know about you, but I am feeling good about this club right now.
                      "Look to the end, no matter what it is you are considering. Often enough, God gives man a glimpse of happiness, and then utterly ruins him"

-Herodotus

Comment

So what will the NHL do with Gillies now?

Comment

Originally posted by dave29 View Post
                          http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2775/...e4645497_o.gif

5+ games (if I followed the flowchart right). I don't watch "The View," so I could be wrong.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by dave29 View Post
                            McKenzie tweeted earlier today that he has an "in person" meeting tomorrow, which "allows for suspension of 6 or more." He then added "allowing" for 6 or more is not the same as "guaranteeing" 6 or more.
                            Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Liz Claman on FBN talking about Molson Canadian becoming the official beer of the NHL -- and she's holding a bottle of my favorite brewski. It don't get better than this!!!!

Take the poll on FBN:

NHL vs. NFL Sponsorship: Who buys more beer?

Football is winning -- we can't have that!!!

*****http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlla/files/original/liz%20claman.jpg******
                              Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Another clutch goal by Lucic as Boston beats Tampa 2-1 for their 7th straight win. This team is hitting their stride at the right time, and are 3 points behind Philly for #1 in the east!
                                Cat Chat, The U.P's best College Sports Show. Check us out at www.catchattv.org

Born a Black Bear
                                1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

A NMU Wildcat for Life
                                1980 1981 1989 1991 1992 1993 1999 2010

NMU Hockey
                                2006-2007: 15-24-2
                                2007-2008: 20-20-4
                                2008-2009: 18-16-5

1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

Comment

Working...
                                X