2011 Cycling thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2011 Cycling thread.

Tomorrow's stage looks like a doozy. We'll really start to separate the men from the boys and really get a good look at who will be the top competitors for the podium.

I've got to think Contador has to launch a vicious attack tomorrow if he is going to have any chance at this thing this year.

Hoping Conti, Levi, and Roche have good days tomorrow to help my team get rolling again.

Was starting to close in on third place in our group but now I'm barely holding onto fourth.

Finally don't have to work tomorrow and I'll be able to watch a stage again. Really looking forward to it!
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by Titleist View Post
      Here is someone hoping that for once Hog looks at the GC and supports the guy in front and throws the massive support of the Shack behind Haimar! I've had a soft spot for him since it was him and Mayo on Euskatel.
      Unfortunately since Levi will smoke Haimar in the Time Trial they will probably still continue to consider Levi the "leader". I think a break probably wins the day tomorrow like Thursday with a non GC contender like Garate, Kreuziger, Egoi Martinez or somebody of that caliber taking the stage.
      Oswego State Lakers 2007 NCAA Div III Champs

Adirondack Red Wings 4 time Calder Cup Champs 81,86,89 & 92

Comment

Originally posted by Probert View Post
        Unfortunately since Levi will smoke Haimar in the Time Trial they will probably still continue to consider Levi the "leader". I think a break probably wins the day tomorrow like Thursday with a non GC contender like Garate, Kreuziger, Egoi Martinez or somebody of that caliber taking the stage.
        Didn't Garate abandon?
        GO LAKERS!!!
        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
        Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
          Didn't Garate abandon?
          Yeah he did I thought he was the one looking after Geesink the other day but it must have been Barredo.

Comment

Impressive ride by Voeckler with the top climbers. He looked really good.

It amazes me the top guys let him go every year. One of these years he's going to stun everyone and they won't be able to catch him.

Granted, lot of tour left to ride and Voeckler has usually always tired as the tour went on and hasn't been able to be there every stage.

He looked very good today though so he's definitely going to hold this for a bit longer.
            GO LAKERS!!!
            Oswego State '09

Comment

Haimar has to be team leader now, right?

As for Voeckler, he has never really tried for a GC before, even in a race loke Paris-Nice that suits him better, so he has never tried to be there every stage bar, '04. This time might be different as there are only 3 GC stages left and I could see him, and maybe Samu, try to nip a few seconds on the decent of the Pra Martino.

Comment

I really hope Contador starts feeling better because otherwise the Alps will be Cadel and Basso following the Schlecks up the climb with Sanchez the only other contender willing to go on the attack. It was intersting yesterday that no one would go to the front. I am really surprised that Contador didn't try to go with either Vanendert or Sanchez if the Schlecks follow they follow you have to try. read this interesting quote from Cadel “The Schleck brothers are there, they ride all day, they’ve got the yellow jersey to gain and then they look at me to pull for them,” Evans said. “Hang on a second. I’m not here to tow you to Paris.” I was also surprised when several times it looked like Andy looked to Voeckler to go to the front, he's in yellow he doesn't have to attack he should go to the front and make it easier to take yellow.

I love the Cav got help hanging on to cars going up the mountain yesterday which Gilbert Farrar and Rojas referenced. If you look the race referee's hand out tons of fines for all kinds of little things everyday but somehow they missed this?

Vino announces his retirement. http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/...cycling_184483
                Last edited by Probert; 07-17-2011, 06:06 PM.

Comment

What department of France were they riding through today, again?
                  What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                    What department of France were they riding through today, again?
                    From the spectators I would guess Basque country But Montpelier, finish line, is in the Hérault Department and Limoux, start, is in the Aude department,

Comment

Originally posted by Probert View Post
                      From the spectators I would guess Basque country But Montpelier, finish line, is in the Hérault Department and Limoux, start, is in the Aude department,
                      Sarcasm, Probert, sarcasm.

There was a stretch in today's coverage, about an hour in, when Phil would mention what department they were riding through, and then Paul would come in and say a few things, and then "the Heroux department of France", and then Phil would pipe in a few things, and another commment about what department they were in, then they'd come back from commercial and Phil would tell us the riders were "riding through the Heroux department of France".

Probably mentioned it about six times in a fifteen or twenty minute span.
                      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Teejay Van Gaarderen leaving for BMC http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/...ng-team_184319

Comment

Holy S! AC is back! Attacking on a Cat. 2

FYI Andy Schleck, that is how you attack, you don't slow down and look around for your brother.

Comment

Holy S! AC is back! Attacking on a Cat. 2

FYI Andy Schleck, that is how you attack, you don't slow down and look around for your brother.
                            It's funny that Andy eventually let Frank go ahead of him and had Jens pull him home. I was really hoping everybody wouldn't mark one another for the next few days before the time trial. At least Contador is going to go down swinging.

Comment

Honestly, I'm not sure Contador is going down, period. After today's stage I can only see 3 possible winners, Evans, Contador, and Voeckler. And if they (Contador) wants to win then Voeckler can't. I don't think Evans can stay with Contador if he really attacks. I read something today by Contador that he didn't want to drop Samu and Evans on the climb because he wanted the help going down the hill. Give him 13+K or 20+K of L'Alpe or Galibier and I have to think that Evans gets tailed off. Pra Martino tomorrow should be very fun!

Comment

Honestly, I'm not sure Contador is going down, period. After today's stage I can only see 3 possible winners, Evans, Contador, and Voeckler. And if they (Contador) wants to win then Voeckler can't. I don't think Evans can stay with Contador if he really attacks. I read something today by Contador that he didn't want to drop Samu and Evans on the climb because he wanted the help going down the hill. Give him 13+K or 20+K of L'Alpe or Galibier and I have to think that Evans gets tailed off. Pra Martino tomorrow should be very fun!
                                By going down swinging I meant he was going for the win not saying well I am in 7th I will play it safe pick up some time put in a good time trial and end up on the podium like a lot of cyclists would do. Contador seems to be willing to possibly risk finishing off the podium for the chance to win.

Comment

Working...
                                X